“A gem”

Ranked #19 of 114 Hotels in Quito
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A gem”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

As part of a tour to the Galapagos Islands our group stayed at this lovely gem of a hotel. Fit for royalty, this out of the way respite tucked on a back street of Quito transported us from the bustle of the city to a peaceful realm of old world elegance and charm. Lovely rooms and suites, flowers and attentive service. Though our stay was brief it was perfect for recovering from a long flight and our active tour of the Islands.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2012

In travelling all the way to an historic city like Quito, we definitely didn't want the usual Sheraton-Marriott chain treatment, so we went with this charming, historic inn. Yes, it has some creaky floors, cool drafts here and there, and small bathrooms... it is OLD - that is its charm in my opinion. The lobby, upper sitting area and breakfast nook (complete with budgies in cages) are lovely. A peaceful oasis. Our room was spacious and beautiful, inviting with a huge bouquet of roses. The bed was warmed, and very comfortable. If you're sensitive to street noise or want to sleep in, I would recommend a room at the rear, but we loved the gorgeous view from our front window. Staff are quiet and reserved, but very helpful -- and willing to act on any request.

It's true the hotel is small, less known and the location is a bit off the usual tourist beaten track. We had one cabbie who didn't know where the hotel was, so we hopped into another cab, who got directions. We also had a cabbie who didn't know where one of the best restaurants in town was - so this unfamiliarity may say more about the state of cabbie knowledge in Quito than the hotel itself. By the way, gas is very cheap in Quito and so are the cab fares, so despite the location, getting around town from the Mansion is pretty inexpensive.

If you like super-modern, predictable accommodations, obviously this wouldn't be your choice. But we enjoyed it, and felt it added a very nice historic dimension to our journey.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank D3TO
PAULA H, Manager at Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear D3TO

It was our pleasure to have you as our guests and we do appreciate your kind comments in regards to your recent stay.

Paula Haro
Arusha, Tanzania
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I was a little worried after a few negative reviews of late but I needn't have been concerned!

My friends and I took over the whole hotel except for one room for one night and couldn't have been happier with our stay!

The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was very good and the rooms and general decor were amazing!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Zoom_Photo_Safaris
PAULA H, Manager at Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Zoom_ Photos,

It was a pleasure having been a recent host to your entire family and all of us at MdA are sending you our best wishes for a wonderful continued
vacation in Ecuador.

Paula Haro,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel is indeed a "Mansion of Angels!" I have stayed several times at this beautifully restored colonial mansion and it is becoming like a second home for me when I arrive in Ecuador. I know exactly what to expect and coming through the door I always feel an angelic presence within the walls and common spaces of this historical, and luxurious old colonial home. Walking into this beautiful building, I feel like I am being treated as royalty!
I am very surprised with the posting of the unfortunate experience encountered by one of the guests staying at this wonderful hotel and certainly is the opposite of any experience I have had while staying there.
Given the altitude and the fact that the new airport in Quito has not yet been opened, it is quite normal for planes from North America to land later in the evening. This has always been my experience when arriving in Quito, however I have found it most prudent to use the transfer service offered by the hotel itself for a very reasonable cost to get safely from the airport to Mansion del Angel with no difficulty. The driver is always there to meet my flight and it is so worthwhile to be greeted by someone pleasant after long flights and connections. Quito is a very large city and there are areas just as there are in any city, where one would exercise caution. A taxi is fine as long as the destination is clearly understood by the driver, but my recommendation is to use the hotel transfer service. One has to be aware that since not all taxi drivers have even a little comprehension of English, there can be possible difficulty by just giving the hotel name. Be sure to use the full name of the hotel: "Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel" since some other Quito edifices use the " .. del Angel" as part of their nomenclature.
The staff have always been exceedingly pleasant and incredibly accommodating during each of my stays--even late at night. And certainly I have never encountered difficulty having someone unlock the gate and front door for me at any time.
During every stay at this wonderful hotel I have enjoyed a very comfortable bed--a grand large bed with four posts and draping, fit for a royal chamber that is more than ample for me being a single traveller.
The rooms are appointed with beautiful antiques and antique reproductions befitting the era of the original colonial house. There is Direct Satellite TV and numerous choices for music on the system. I have stayed in several different rooms and suites in this grand old beauty and my suggestion for WiFi access is to enjoy the comfort of a beautiful old settee in the hallway adjacent the wireless router. Often while I have been working with email on my iPad, the staff come by and offer some warm complimentary tea which is so thoughtful. If you are fortunate enough to be blocked into a room on the second floor or the first floor right above or adjacent the wireless router, then there is no issue and you have WiFi in your room. It is a suggestion I have made to hotel staff that some booster routers be strategically placed in other locations however I recognize that in an old building of heritage preservation status only a certain number of things can be done to ensure the preservation is maintained.
When one stays in a building reflecting such history and regulatory preservation guidelines not only from City of Quito but I am assuming from UNESCO as well since the city is UNESCO Heritage Site, one should expect to find things characteristic of a heritage building. Creaking floors are not uncommon in many old buildings in Ecuador and Europe for that matter. It is part of the romance of staying in a heritage structure--not to find a room like you would experience in a "Hyatt" high rise tower. This carries through to plumbing where in an older building one could possibly sometimes be a bit concerned. At Mansion del Angel, given its age and the incredible restoration process completed by the owners, I have always been pleased to experience plenty of hot water, excellent flushing toilets and adequate drainage in my rooms.
In my estimation, the food and food service experiences at the hotel have been awesome. Again you feel like royalty when your courses arrive at table covered with a silver entree cover. I have an allergy to wheat and the staff have always been very careful to accommodate my needs at breakfast or any other meal.
And ... during my most recent stay, I was so pleased that the owners have opened a beautiful new spa in the back garden. This is a delight, as is the garden itself for someone who comes from the colder Northern climes. As one post indicates, it is a feature of chocolate and Christina is a gem. I have had a couple of spa treatments in the new spa and each was superb--the chocolate (which is the theme of Mansion del Angel) being the most enjoyable. Think--exfoliating chocolate all over your body that you can smell but can't eat!
In my estimation this is a superb choice of hotel for a stay in Quito and a worthwhile experience after a Quito arrival before a venture to other parts of Ecuador. I would certainly recommend this property to anyone looking for a place to stay in Quito.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Ernesto888
Ernesto888

Thank you so much for your kind words in regards to your stays with us. We are very happy to have fulfilled your expectations.

Paula Haro,
qwanta
Reviewed 18 March 2012

The hotel Mansion del Angel stood out as a sore spot on an otherwise spectacular trip to Ecuador. We booked the hotel because it was the #1 rated hotel on Tripadvisor at the time we made our booking and we wanted to stay in an old colonial mansion. This was our base in Quito for multiple trips (Amazon, Galapagos, Andes)

Among many things wrong with the hotel (1) not centrally located, which made it difficult for cab drivers to find (2) the doors were locked when we arrived from the airport past midnight, and we had to keep ringing the bell for over 30min before someone woke up (3) rude reception staff who refused to settle our prior to the day of departure, and held us up for 15min when we were leaving (4) the shower area was not properly sealed and we had an overflowing bathroom every time we took a shower (5) the view from our room was straight into the shabby house next door (6) breakfast that was mediocre at best (7) room with a creaky floor, an old bed and thin walls (8) music from both inside and outside the hotel could be heard in the room (9) spotty internet coverage - we had to sit in the lobby area to connect (10) a safety locker that was not functional (11) quite expensive for what we got.

On the plus side, they did store our luggage between our trips, called cabs when we requested them and recommended a reasonably good restaurant. Can't really think of much else that is nice. I find it unbelievable how so many people give such high ratings to this place - every other place we stayed in Ecuador as well as every other "colonial" house we stayed in other parts of the world were much nicer!

I rely on TripAdvisor extensively, but this is a case where it let me down badly. I am glad to see that the rating dropped from #1 to #7 now, and I hope my review will serve as a warning to future TripAdvisor members who are considering this place.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank qwanta
PAULA H, Manager at Boutique Hotel Mansion del Angel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Qwanta,

We are disappointed that your stay on various dates in the latter part of December 2011 and early January of 2012 at Mansion del Angel was not up to your expectations. Naturally, we wish to extend our apologies. We fully understand that the first impression is generally the most lasting. Consequently, when you were not given the usual warm welcome which one expects to receive upon arrival and particularly after 1 AM, you made a valid point. Unfortunately, other inconveniences contributed to your dislike of the property. In addition, during the days of your stay the Municipal Authorities were working day and night in order to better the access street to our property and that involved a lot of undesirable noise.

What I do not comprehend is the fact that if indeed you were so disappointed with Mansion del Angel, its environment, poor service and staff why you remained after your first two nights for three different additional stays ? We would have completely understood your desire to depart and obviously would not have objected. And should you have made your complaints known to the staff while you were there, steps could have been taken to improve your experience immediately.

However, being a well seasoned world traveler relying on TripAdvisor, you must know that ratings are extended by YOU, THE CLIENT, without the influence of the establishment or TA. There had to be a reason that former clients extended their unbiased rating to TripAdvisor so it is most unfortunate that you now blame TA for having let you down badly, according to your own words.

We are aware of the fact that it is impossible to please everyone, but let me assure you that all of us at Mansion del Angel have the earnest desire to provide the best possible service, to improve ourselves where we have failed and hope that future clients will not be intimidated by your warning but make their own conclusions. Thank you for your attention.

Pahola Haro