“National Geographic Landscape and scenery..magical vacation!”
Review of Green Horse Ranch

Green Horse Ranch
Reviewed 21 April 2017

I have ridden several times with Astrid and her amazing horses! I have ridden anywhere from 1 to 4 day trips over the many years that I first fell in love with her beautiful home.... the Pululahua Crater!
I am new to Tripadvisor and I can't believe it has taken me this long to provide my comments about the place that has become my "happy place" for riding. I have truly never found such a unique and special place, to not only ride horses but ,to experience such breathtaking scenery , peaceful nature at it's finest and the opportunity to really disconnect and enjoy being in the moment.
Astrid is a strong horsewoman with a kind and gentle nature...she has the ability to connect with people of all levels and to ensure their safety and enjoyment.She loves her horses and is passionate about her work. She has wonderful tack suited for each of her horses . She knows the intimate details of each of her herd and can expertly match any rider with one of her horses! They are all sure footed, well cared for and wonderful trail riding horses!
The ranch is located at the bottom of the Pululahua crater and situated near the dome of this spectacular area! Upon entering the the crater you can sense that this is going to be a special trip. The scene overlooking the the expanse of the crater walls then down into the lush valley below is beyond written description. The fog that appears and begins to blanket the area at around 3pm each day further adds to the mystique and beauty of this place.
The day ride is for all riding levels. I took my husband here for his first ever horseriding experience. Under Astrid's care , and on a horse that he felt totally relaxed and confident, he was cantering by the end of the day!This was his choice and he did not feel pressured . Others were just as happy to split from the group and ride with another guide where walking was just fine!
The multiple day rides are well organized and such a different experience!Astrid has formed relationships with locals who are incredible hosts who provide delicious meals in rustic style haciendas and guest houses. Riding several hours in the saddle you will experience views that will capture your heart, take your breath away and really make you feel ALIVE! If you are in Quito or nearby and thinking of seeing the real Ecuador..then by all means give the Green Horse Ranch a call or email! Not to be missed...beginner or expert you won't be sorry.

2  Thank highbar
Greenhorseranch, Propietario at Green Horse Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Your happy place? Then this wonderful review can only belong to one very special person, who has been here so many times that she has seen it all! The best and the worst, the floods and the draughts, the wild horses and the cows, the escapes and the landslides, the sticks and the scratches, the ups and the downs.... and quite a few bottles of champagne...

If someone who has been riding here for nearly 20 years, still keeps up with this keen opinion, I think that really is the biggest compliment we can get. Thank you so much, Marcy!

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"volunteers"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

I just returned from my Holiday with Green Horse Ranch. I've been on many Riding Holidays through out Europe and I rate this ride as one of the best! I was invited on the the trip with a co-worker who had done all the planning. I had no idea what to expect. It was my first time visiting South America. The ride and Country far exceeded my expectations!
Astrid Muller is a experienced and professional Horse Woman. Her horses are are as close to perfect as you can get! They know there jobs, are safe, healthy and she has horses that will fit any level of rider. This is not your typical Trail ride! The terrain is steep, rocky, narrow paths and SPECTACULAR scenery! It's a fast paced ride but the horses are so trust worthy! Astrid will pick the perfect mount for you and make sure you always feel comfortable. Every detail was taken care of making it a true vacation. The packed lunches that we had picnic style overlooking breathtaking scenery was a highlight. I would highly recommend this ride to anyone from experienced riders (which I am) to beginners. Astrid will pick a ride and horse that will suit any rider.
The Scenery is magnificent! Almost surreal!
I would highly recommend a overnight ride. The accommodations were very comfortable and the food delicious! I loved meeting the local people and learning about the culture.
I returned home from this ride with a special place in my heart for Astrid and her beautiful horses. A life changing vacation!!!!

2  Thank dudleyPa
Greenhorseranch, Propietario at Green Horse Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Hi Kim, this can only be you! Thank you for all the time taken for this wonderfull review. I'm so happy you enjoyed the ride although so different from your rides back home. Even mastered your fear of snakes! Hope to meet you riding once again!

Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

We visited Astrid and her Horses on one of our days in Quito. I had done several horse trips in Ecuador before but this one defenetly ranks amongst the highest. Immediatly i could see the place was run by a horse lover. Strong healthy carefully picked horses so as they would fit their rider. My boyfriend had never been on a horse before in his life and was put at ease and giver very clear and patient explanations by Astrid as how to ride.

The area was beautiful and we enjoyed a nice lunch on our ride. All was organised so well!

A trip well worth the while, especially if you are a horse person you will love it at Astrids Ranch.

Ps. Astrid, my boyfriend has even said he'll go riding again! Thank you so much!

2  Thank Qxams

Happy to hear that!! Thank you, too!

Reviewed 1 December 2016

Our last day in Quito was “on our own” so we booked a horseback ride with the Green Horse Ranch. We had a blast. We were picked up in front of the Magic Bean coffee shop (about 10 minutes from the JW Marriott hotel) and transported to the Pululahua volcano natural reserve. Then we went down and down into the bottom of the volcano to get to the ranch. The ride down is on a dirt and winding road. The views are spectacular. Stop for a picture or 5. Once on the ranch we were greeted by Astrid Muller, the owner. We were provided gloves, books, helmets, etc. I road Sam and the Mrs. rode Mithril. Along with 2 other people, we headed off along the trail for about 2 hours before stopping for lunch with the volcano crater in front of us and the lava dome in back of us. The views are breathtaking. Then it was back in the saddle for another 2 hours continuing on new trail and not just going back along the same trail we came on. We passed haciendas with gardens, cows, dogs, pigs, horses, chickens….but only in the valley. The horses were sure footed though we were often on narrow, rocky paths with overhanging trees and bushes. The horses looked as happy as we were with our time in the saddle. Loved this excursion.

1  Thank lorenmarcia