“Great place to stay”

Ranked #93 of 198 Hotels in Santiago
New York
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Just stayed here in Jan/Feb 2012. Awesome hostel staff. If you get a private suit at the apartment building amazing place for a great price. Private room with balcony if lucky views of the Andes surrounding Santiago. Also right in the middle of the city walking distance to some of the major historic attractions.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a private suit at the apartment complex on Merced not the hostel itself.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

My husband, 3-yr-old daughter, and I stayed in an Andes apartment in Oct. 2011. It was amazing! The location, secure building, and apartment itself were all perfect. The apartment was cleaner than I ever manage to get my own home. The staff in the hostel were super friendly, and hosted a fun spaghetti night where we met a bunch of people staying in the hostel. One woman on the staff even took care of our daughter one evening and was professional and trustworthy. The fact that I would trust any of the hostel staff to babysit -- only the second time I've trusted someone enough while on vacation -- says everything. Stay there, and you'll be happy.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank manchester_freak
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at Andes Apartments for 5 nights and found them to be very comfortable and well located with only a short walk to centre of town. The apartment contained everything we needed and gave us the freedom to cook if we wanted - though we chose to eat out. The apartments are also very close to Lastarria neighbourhood where there was a good selection of eating places. All staff at the hostel were extremely helpful and able to assist with all our enquiries.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

Andes Hostel is ideally suited for young backpackers that are most concerned about price. Andes had a great location; across the street from a subway stop and within walking distance of major attractions. My friends and I had a 4 bed family room, which consisted of a queen bed an 2 bunk beds. The rooms were simply furnished, clean (but worn), and small. The bathrooms and shower are shared with the other residents on the floor (but generally clean). They have a series of activities for the residents, like hot dog night and Karaoke so if you're interested in meeting other travelers, you have the opportunity to do so. My biggest complaint is that after a long day of sightseeing, all I want is some peace and quiet to sleep and instead, I got a bunch of drunk teenagers smoking in the stairwell that led up to our room.

Overall, this is definitely a hostel, not a boutique hotel or a bed and breakfast so manage your expectations when booking. If you want a cheap bed with a decent location, this is a good option. If you want something with more service or amenities, look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank ChinaDoll1648
Cordoba, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

My review is based on the apartments. I stayed in “room” 304 and I was very pleased with most of my stay. I’ll pros & cons it.

room:
pros: new, fashion forward, clean and quiet. Tastefully furnished. Good location. Two beds downstairs and a king size bed upstairs. Kitchen had pots, pans, plates and silverware. Good natural and artificial light. WI FI had a strong signal because the router was in the apartment. Telephone with free local calls. LCD with cable TV. Safe with electronic combination. Indoor swimming pool on the 18th floor and gym (I didn’t go to the gym). Terrace to take panoramic pictures or hang out there. Great water pressure in the shower.
cons: no A/C (it got hot in the morning and not all windows have curtains so it’d be kind of stuffy when we got back at night). “Out of sight, out of mind”: since you aren’t at the hostel, you are a stranger when you need help from the staff. The obligation to pay in dollars to avoid paying a 18% tax. The apartment is hard to find because it’s in an apartment complex of 4 towers.

Staff at the hostel
pros: They did help us with whatever we needed. They gave us a map.
cons: They are NOT friendly. They failed to provide us with toilet paper because the cellar was closed.

cleaning service
pros: They did our dishes
cons: It didn’t seem they did more than dishes and beds. They failed to change our towels or leave more toilet paper

Breakfast:
pros: Coffee, tea, “juice”, corn flakes, scrambled eggs, queque, bread, jam.
cons: the cleaning lady wasn’t happy that we didn’t take out cups and plates to the kitchen but it doesn’t say anywhere we were supposed to.

Contact me if there's something I missed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends