“Rude Staff, AC Turned Off at Night.”

Hotel Torremayor Lyon
Ranked #70 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
Las Vegas
“Rude Staff, AC Turned Off at Night.”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Hotel Torremayor is conveniently located in the heart of Providencia and within easy walking distance to the Los Leones Metro station. However, the hotel suffers from a few major flaws that I think are worth sharing with other travelers thinking about staying here. I chose this hotel not only for its location, but the fact that the rooms are advertised as "air-conditioned" and Santiago can be quite hot in the summer.

I booked and paid for a "superior" room online, but when I checked in, I was given a regular room. After checking the room, I returned to the desk to question them about the room. I was switched over to the room that I paid for, but was given no apology. As an experienced traveler, I know that this is common practice for a lot of hotels...put a guest in a lesser room, and hope they don't notice. For the moment, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and figure it was just an honest mistake, but my big gripe with the hotel is that when I got to my room it was really warm inside. I immediately turned on the air conditioning, but the room never cooled down. When I complained to the front desk, they told me that the AC is turned off in the evening. I told them that I paid for a room with AC and that's what I expected. They couldn't have cared less and basically blew me off. I asked the manager if he thought it was fair to charge a guest for a room with air conditioning and then have the hotel save money on their electric bill at the guest's comfort. He was unsympathetic and downright rude.

My other problem with Hotel Torremayer is that at 11 pm, they turn off almost all the lights in the guest hallways. My room was at the end of the hall and was pitch black. I had to feel around the door to insert my keycard into the lock. I don't think this would be suitable for women or people concerned with their personal safety.

Overall, the superior room was quite nice, but lacked the AC that I paid for. The management was unfriendly and rude. Despite the good location, I would not recommend this hotel as they show contempt for their guests.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Reid M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lancashire
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our arrival and departure from Chile. On arrival we had a superior room which was nice large and clean. Air conditioning worked well and the hotel gives you a welcome drink on arrival - we chose Pisco Sours and were not disappointed! The room service/bar menue is limited, as is the dinner menu but both offered chices which were acceptable to a couple of fussy eaters. On our return to Santiago we had one of the standard rooms, which was just as nice if a little smaller. After a month touring Chile it was nice to return to a clean hotel!
In common with many hotels, although a room may be designated non smoking, you will often find an ashtray in the room. By rights (and Chilean law I believe) if used the occupier can be fined. Only a few hotels seem to enforce this however.
Probably the best hotel we stayed in during a month touring northern Chile.

South East England
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This is a good hotel. Clean, good spacious rooms and polite staff. Plenty of bars and restaurants nearby

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed three nights at this great hotel in Santiago, situated in the nice area of Providencia. We had a superior room, which is more than 60 sqm and very comfortable. Modern bathroom, nice furniture and very clean! Each afternoon the staff came with new towels and a plate of tasty chocolate pralines!!! Pool area was great and in a very good condition. Staff were attentive and serviceminded. What might needs to be improved is the breakfast. They often ran out of some stuff and did not refill...Would we stay again? Definitely!!!

1 Thank Larzon67
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Firstly I booked a "no smoking" room and smelled smoke upon entering our room. We immediately moved to another "no smoking" room and there was an ashtray on the bureau. Fortunately the windows open up and gave us plenty of fresh air. Although relatively clean there was mold on the bathroom tile grout in the shower. The bathroom air vents were filthy having not been cleaned or vacuumed at all I suspect. The front desk staff were professional and helpful however and the buffet breakfast was very good. Although this is the first and only hotel I've stayed at in Santiago I would look for another during my next visit.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple