“It is JUST a nice hotel...”

The Ritz-Carlton, Santiago
Ranked #17 of 199 Hotels in Santiago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Monterrey
“It is JUST a nice hotel...”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I spend a week (4 nights) at the Ritz Carlton attending to a business trip. We were a delegation of several companies therefore we got an special rate for our stay, being a large group.

To be really honest, for the "normal" price (check online and is around $250 advanced purchase per night) I would not take this hotel for a future trip to Santiago, because at that price level your expectations are, of course, higher as well.

I've traveled around the world and staying from an Ibis to a Shangri-La, therefore I know exactly what to get from what hotel chain I choose. Being the Ritz Carlton brand, I expected much more, really.

In general service is really good, everybody smiles and all the staff is very welcoming. You feel nice with that service oriented team. Public areas are very well acconditioned, lobby is small but you have an addtional area attached were you can sit and relax waiting for your business partners.

Now, TOP & DOWN TREE - what's good and bad:

GOOD:
1. Location. You're in the middle of Las Condes area which is one of the nicest areas in Santiago. You have pleny of choices for lunch and dinner just by walking a few minutes. Area is totally secure and walking by night is safe.
2. Pool & Spa area: this is an "oasis" in the middle of downtown. Pool is very nice, besides is no so big. Water is tempered equal to a "normal" pool, therefore is not warm, is just OK as if you were in an outside pool in summer. You have and hot jacuzzi as well (too hot for me). Spa is heaven, where steam room is the best. Facilites are VERY nice and very well maintained.
3. Check-in & Check out: both were very quick and accurate. They explain that if you're a foreign visitor you don't have to pay taxes if a credit card is used to pay the bill. Eventhough check in process may be long, they try to do it as quick as possible. I like this in a hotel after a 10 hrs overnight flight.

BAD:
1. Noise in connected rooms: I have stayed in other hotels were there is a door for access the other room but I had NEVER been so bother with noise at middle of the night coming from the conected room. And this is NOT because the coupple were too noisy (I knew they were a coupple because I heard ALL their convesation and laughs, and so on...) It was because doors were too thin and there was no other form of insolation to avoid noise coming. I just cannot belive this happens in a TOP five star hotel, really.
2. Elevators: this is what I found the most annoying. Despite there are 3 elevators, waiting time to get one of them is just toooo long!. Believe me, It is not that I'm picky person, no!... it takes too much to get one from the Lobby mainly... I belive you just have to wait.
3. Cleaning Maid service: 2 of the 4 nights toiletteries were no replenished. Those 2 days I left my room early and then I came back noon and cleaning service was not made. Then, I went off again and at my return there was always missing a bath carpet and ammenities. I don't see why the maid service lady just "forgot" to do her job complety.

Resume: if you get a VERY good rate that includes breakfast (average) and WIFI (additional if is not included in your package) I really dont find a reason to spend a pricey rate having another options in the area.

Like the movie "Great Expectations"... but they were not filled up at the Ritz Carlton Santiago.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Davicho77
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Tucson
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Santiago for two nights at the end our a trip through Argentina and Chile. Staying in a familiar place was appealing at the end of our vacation. The public areas are lovely and comfortable. There are two restauarants. The largest one has indoor and outdoor seating. The other one is indoor only. Both are nicely decorated, open and airy, and modern. The lobby and lounge are plush and have an old-European look. We visited the wine cellar for a tasting one evening and found that area quite nice, too. Our room was unremarkable, very much like a Marriott king-bed you would find in the U.S. It was clean and quiet. The hotel is located in an area with many very good restaurants. This was a plus to avoid long taxi rides to other restaurants since we had trouble one night when we took a hotel-arranged taxi to dinner. We did not shop but learned that the best shopping area in Santiago was within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Penny N
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed at RC Santiago only for one night. Great location, quiet neighborhood. Inside the building looks a bit old and not well maintained. You would expect more from Ritz Carlton and you actually pay for more.

Room 517, good size, both room and toilet.

Details fail a lot, it looks that the hotel is running on a too tight budget for what they charge. No slippers in the room (had to call to get it and they gave me a white pair in a "Made in China" bag), few amenities (being a couple there was not enough for 2 showers each), toilet not well clean (could post pictures but let's not go there). Carpet is dirty (therefore sleepers are a must). TV very small. Old furniture in bad shape. Good bed, a little too soft for my taste. Service is correct but entered a couple of times and no one at front door (one of the times the staff member was talking to a taxi driver and continue to do that). Nice food at breakfast and friendly staff, at a modern environment. Pitty they start loud disco music with sunrise (I was there at Sunday 8 am and you do not want that loud music at that particular time).

Wi-fi charges give the ultimate budget touch to the place!

I like RC standards and mission statements but honestely the only RC standard that I found was the rate.

Room Tip: They might have refurbished rooms and it would be worth asking for it.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cs0025
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed one night in the club level. Our room was fine and the lounge amenities were very good. Would have been a wonderful experience except when checking out we were socked with two $24 dollar wi-fi charges (one for the phone, one for the iPad). This was not explained during the log on process. Felt a bit ripped off. Interestingly a few weeks later we stayed in a $109/night room at a Sheraton in Bakersfield CA. Wi-fi was included.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bfinearth
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel is old and trying to retain its European glamour but didn't do too good a job, my room gave me a dirty feeling with unevenly replace marble slabs and dirty grout. They have small toilets, not elongated ones and may be my hang up, their curtain does not run on overlapping rails, I never like that because there is always light slipping through in the morning.
The location is great, close to all kinds of restaurants and service was also very good.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple