Open today: 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
An interesting private museum.

Well, we went to this museum because it was a cold rainy day, and we didn't want with my parents... read more

Reviewed 25 June 2018

from US$ 127.99
from US$ 99.00
from US$ 109.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

Having not returned for a few years I have always been impressed by this wonderful gift to Santiago by the owner who wants to share his passion and eclectic taste

Currently and with perfect timing, his current special exhibitions focuses on the gowns he has purchased of Diana, the Princess of Wales. About a dozen stunning black and white creations are on display which are works of art worthy of this fashion icon. They are beautifully displayed and mounted that would be the envy of many international museums.

The museum is also the former home of his patents and represent a piece of frozen time from the forties and fifties. Everything is done to an extremely high standard surrounded by peaceful grounds.

You shouldn’t miss the permanent collection as well which is fascinating.

There is also a nice cafe with alfresco dining. All in all a perfect place to spend a few hours for fashionistas.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

I don't know if I missed something but there seems to be only one room of display. I understand the exhibits change as most of the collection is in storage. What there was was very well displayed and captioned in both English and Spanish.
Price was not a lot but I would have liked to have seen more. The cafe looked enticing but pricy.

Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

We were met by a guard at the gate who told us in Spanish it was closed. That doesn't agree with what their website says. Since we couldn't converse with him, we didn't get any details. We were disappointed it was closed.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

This museum is well worth a visit. It is full of memorabilia of Marilyn Munroe, with interesting aspects of her life, personality, clothing and her charisma. It portrays a view of Marilyn which is not the one we all know. It is inexpensive. Went there after visiting the Ralli Museum nearby, which is also worth a visit.

1  Thank Harold L
Reviewed 1 March 2016

I visited during the "Mad Men" exhibition. I had been hoping to make it to the exhibition in NYC, but it just wasn't going to happen. So, when I heard it was in Santiago, I HAD to go! Museo de la Moda is part house museum, part fashion museum. Created by a titan of textiles in South America, this breathtaking house in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright houses an impressive and changing collection of garments. While I was there, the collections obviously focused on the 1950s and 1960s. Particularly interesting were the outfits that were clearly taken from cover photos and spreads in Vogue from that era. It was really great to see the whole outfit in person, then how it photographed.

They also had a quite impressive collection of vintage makeup and personal care items, if that's your thing. It was for me! It's so rare to see a display of vintage lipsticks--let alone a full display of blotting papers.

There is a nice video in Spanish with English subtitles about the care and keeping of historical clothes which is a good primer on the subject. It seemed to be playing on repeat.

On the day we were there, there were few visitors, and we didn't feel rushed at all in our visit. Lots of time to deeply examine and photograph the objects that caught our fancy. We spent about an hour and a half perusing the exhibition, and then moseyed into the attached cafe for a coffee and light snack.

I bought the two fashion books available in the gift store--pricey, but beautiful. (Even better when you speak Spanish!)

The neighborhood around the museum is also pretty upscale, so we ended up wandering around after exiting the museum and had a good time with that.

Overall, an excellent way to spend an afternoon.

2  Thank Sara B