“Not even close to the real thing!”

Taqueria El Ranchero
Ranked #416 of 5,362 Restaurants in Santiago
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Vitacura
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

The only mexican about this place is the decoration, food was terrible, small portion and pricey, I will not recommend

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

My hubby and I both ordered "Tacos al Pastor". Meat was good, tasty.

My daughter had "Flautas de Pollo"... well, just average.

It was nicely decorated, maybe a bit dark but that was ok for us.

Rationale for 3 out of 5:

- Poor customer service... altough unfortunately poor customer service was common in Santiago :(

- The corn tortillas for the tacos were cold and broke apart. What?????? Warm tortillas is step 1 in any "How to make tacos 101". I'll give some credit to the fact they actually had corn tortillas which are not common in Chile as far as I know.

- The menu not only gives customers the option to select only one salsa (from mild to super hot) with every dish but regrettably it is a microscopic portion! How in the world a place like this limits the salsa to a tiny portion??!! That is not very Mexican. Not only that, we had to choose to either have salsa or guacamole, can't have both. Well, I guess we could if we wanted to pay more. Did I mentioned that the super hot salsa was not even hot? Disappointed.

Please note that parking is limited. If you get one of the 2 spots in front of the restaurant be aware that it is a bit challenging to get out of there.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Being Mexican you have high expectations for Mexican food. This restaurant is as close to good Mexican food in South America. So A for effort! The exciting part was the trompo / tacos de Pastor with piña. The meat was good and we were so looking forward to corn tortillas which is extremely hard to find down here. Although they had them they were extremely dry with not much flavor. So I'll deduct a point for that and for the salsa selection being somewhat average. Still a great choice and I would recommend this place to friends! #itravel_often #eatwelltraveloften

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

This place seemed miles from our hotel (but Santiago is a large city and taxis are great value). We fancied Mexican and that's what we got, in bucket loads. The food is OK and the service friendly. An English menu didn't prevent the order getting mixed up, but we didn't have the heart to send the food back as English was a barrier and the only thing that was wrong was the mains were with beef rather than chicken.
All freshly cooked, but portions too huge for us. The staff were nice and went out of their way to please, so this place has got to be worth a try even if the food is standard fare.

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

I've been here several times for lunch, and it's just always good. Nothing extraordinary, just very enjoyable Mexican food in a nice place. Great for families. Portions are normal, prices very reasonable. You need to come on time (or make a reservation) because it's usually full.