“The Cleanest and Most Safe City in the World”
Review of Singapore

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Neighbourhoods
Neighbourhoods
Rescue, California
25 helpful votes
“The Cleanest and Most Safe City in the World”
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I loved Singapore! From the minute I stepped off the plane into the most beautiful airport I've even been in, I was impressed with this city/country. The taxi ride to the hotel passed lovely green trees, lawns and high rise living quarters. Everything was very clean. There are a lot of rules in Singapore which are meant to keep this country clean and safe, and they do that. I realized in the taxi that I had already broken a rule! I had possession of a package of chewing gum. That isn't allowed there. But no one ever steps onto a piece of chewed gum on the street and has it stick to their shoes. I stayed at the York Hotel which was a five minute walk to the main shopping area of Orchard Ave, and the mass transit station. The hotel was wonderful, with very helpful employees and a lovely room. The shopping was great. Even though the Great Singapore Sale was on --from mid-June until the end of July, I had to be careful how I spent my money. The Sing dollar was .73 to the American dollar, but many items in stores were priced high anyway. I had the best luck with deals at the Lucky Plaza and the Harbourfront Center. Many clothes items I could have easily gotten far cheaper in the US. But it was fun shopping. The mass transit system (MRT) and the buses were reasonably priced and easy to use. I never felt I needed a car in Singapore. I walked or took public transportation, which was clean inside and always on time. A great place to visit is the Botanical Gardens, which is free to enter. I saw Swan Lake with swans and large turtles in it, and Symphony Lake where they do have symphonies play while visitors sit on the large green sloping hills near the lake. It was totally peaceful in the gardens and all the plants were trimmed and lovely to see. I took a cable car to Sentosa Island and saw the view of the harbour. Once on the island I went to the Songs of Singapore light show over the water at night. That was very pretty, although a bit commercial. I ate dinner at Clarke Quay which was beautiful at night--sitting outside right next to the river and all the lights of the stores and restaurants. I took the boat trip along the river at night and it was serene and pretty. I didn't have enough time in Singapore to see all I wanted to see. I need to go back to see the Chinese and Japanese Gardens, the Night Safari, and a few more shopping areas. I'd like to see more of Sentosa Island and Mt. Faber also. If you are traveling to the east, I definitely recommend a trip to this wonderful city/country.

1 Thank alohacjm
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC.
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
24 helpful votes
“Tolerance to smoking in Singapore”
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I have just returned from Singapore and, being a smoker, checked the forum in Trip Advisor before going.
Most of what was said is accurate. The Singapore government are trying to discourage smoking but they are nowhere near as paranoid as the British government.
You are not allowed to take ANY cigarettes into Singapore without declaring them - including open packets. However, the customs at immigration are very similar to British customs - you will almost certainly get away with taking cigarettes in. However, it is an offence (punishable by £2000 fine or imprisonment) to use, buy or sell cigarettes on which local duty has not been paid. Again this is not generally enforced but don't leave a british packet of cigarettes on open display. You are asking for trouble. Most restaurants and bars have a smoking area but the law is clear - you must not smoke in ANY airconditioned building apart from a designated hotel 'smoking room' - of which there are plenty. Ashbins are provided throughout the city and you are expected to use them. This is a spotlessly clean country with precious little crime because everyone accepts the rules and abides by them. With a bit of give and take smokers will have no problems. There is even a very clean - and remarkably smoke free 'smoking room' in the departure lounge at the airport.

5 Thank Ianleatherhead
Melbourne, Australia
63 helpful votes
“Singapore - a fine city”
Reviewed 22 July 2008

I liked my visit to Singapore. The place was very clean and organized. Impressive, considering it's in Asia. Almost everything in Singapore is like Melbourne, Australia (where I'm from). Well maybe not the weather and the fashion. Everyone in Singapore seems to be dressed up in designer fashion whereas in Melbourne, people tend to support local brands and dress more for comfort with a little style.

Taxi drivers were very friendly and speaks English too. I've only encountered 2 drivers who didn't converse much due to lack of English skills. Nevertheless, they always offered a smile. It's so much cheaper to catch a taxi than take the train.

I especially like the Old Chang Kee stalls where they sell different sorts of skewers (fishballs/prawns/chicken/dumpling etc). Very affordable too and it seemed popular with the locals. These stalls are found at every block. A must try!

There was a hawker centre next to our hotel, Le Meridien. Cheap meals with side dishes. My bf particularly loved the Tiger Beer, whereas I always drank the fresh coconut drinks.

We've visited quite a number of places/attractions, the popular ones like Jurong Bird Park, Singapore's Night Safari and Sentosa Island, where we visited Underwater World & Dolphin Lagoon. We've also checked out the Merlion Park near Lau Pa Sat.

Bear in mind that even though shops open late, at least they close later at night! Unlike in Australia where shops close at 5 or 6 (9pm on Thurs & Fri).
Photos will be added and a review written for those places too.

4 Thank coolitz
Doncaster, United Kingdom
162 helpful votes
“Fantastic Place to Visit”
Reviewed 5 July 2008

What a fantastic place to visit, this must be the place to go if you want to see a society where respect still exists. Singapore is one of the cleanest and safest countries we have ever visited, the MRT (underground) is not only a very efficient and cheap way of seeing Singapore City, it is a pleasure to be able to move about in a foreign city without fear of crime. Their is plenty to do and see with Raffles Hotel for afternoon tea, Boat Quay for eveing meals on the waterside, night time safari at the zoo and not forgetting a visit to San Tosa Island where you can relax on the beach or view the magnificent Lion with a superb view back over Singapore Island. You can visit San Tosa by Cable Car or monorail, both ways being extemely good value. For electronics buffs Sim City has five floors of Cameras, electronics and computer equipment (this one centre can take a half day to see it all). Food is available everywhere from street vendors to good resturants (one revolves through 360 degrees whislt eating your meal to give a panoramic of this great city). The architecture is magnificant from the very old to the ultra modern, both sitting side by side and a photographers dream.

15 Thank GolferDoncaster
Massachusets
17 helpful votes
“A week in Singapore”
Reviewed 10 May 2008

I recently spent a week in Singapore for Business. I would return happily for more business trips, but not for a vacation. I would recommend it as a long layover for people flying through the area.
The airport itself has showers, massage services, free movie theater (old B movies from the 50s), and more.
Singapore is beautiful, because everything that could detract from it's beauty carries a penalty; chewing gum $500 fine, litter $500 fine, picking the flowers $500 fine and so on.
Everybody speaks perfect English. Humidity permitting great place to go walking.
Watch out for the tourist restaurants that will nickel-and-dime you; charge for nuts etc. And the popular two beers for one, but if you do not ask the second beer never comes!
People are warm, friendly and very proud of their little oasis in this part of the world. There appears to be political and religious harmony with the President being Chinese and the Prime Minster Indian (or was it the other way around)?
For a tourist there is not just that much to do, you could do all the tourist attractions in two days, 3 max if you pace yourself - i know because i did most of it in 36 hours.
I can speak to the Singapore Flyer, China Town, Little India, the Arab area, Raffles hotel, Shopping strip..
If you have to go, engineer yourself a long layover at Tokyo airport and get into Tokyo, but you will need a long layover of 9 hours or more, see my separate review.

10 Thank Angus G

Been to Singapore? Share your experiences!