“A second chance, and a total let down. ”

Golden Peony at Conrad Centennial Singapore
Reserve a table
Sun, 07/03
20:00
Ranked #27 of 13,649 Restaurants in Singapore
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marina Centre
Description: If you’re after one of the very best in Cantonese dining, Golden Peony has to be your first culinary stop. An award-winning restaurant, the premium Golden Peony is truly outfitted for the accolades they’ve received; with exquisite teak screens, porcelain displays of Chinese mythology and bamboo-handled tea pots.
Reviewed 23 January 2021 via mobile

Came here a few months ago for Restaurant Week and it was a let down down by a service staff at the end of the brunch.
I was replied in the previous review that that was a one-time incident. But guess what?
Today was a let down again by the same said service staff (and another) from the very start.

I remembered the dim sum being good, and without looking at the menu (which was only CNY menu - my bad) booked a table to bring my mum along this time. We were early, and reached at about 11.10am outside the restaurant for the reservation at 11.30am. The staff were doing roll call and briefing, no problem. We just hung around and waited till 11.30am and as there was another lady who went ahead first, the first staff (in orange cheongsam) at the hostess area led her and her friend in. While we stood there and waited. The same lady in suit who spoilt our last experience stood up from behind the wall and just brusquely asked ‘Do you have a reservation’ - no hi, no smile, nothing. I am not expecting a formal greeting or anything, but I think a simple hi is just courtesy?

I told her yes, gave my name, and she just went ahead to stare at the list of reservations with an unsmiling face. I had to repeat my name again for her to locate me. And after, she led us in by just telling me in Chinese ‘this way’. She didn’t even acknowledge my guests.

Sat us down and another lady in suit (slightly plump) without letting us sit down just asked us what tea and rattled off a list of teas when we asked what teas there are - all while we were all standing around the table.

She came by again to take our orders. And it was just that. Transactional.

The food on the menu today was less than decent. Yes, fresh ingredients, but repetitive, especially when we ordered 1 of everything on the CNY menu. The only person who made a slight difference was Esther, who served and chatted to us causally, no airs. And she was so attentive that when from afar she spotted that our desserts were not on the table yet, u-turned and went back into what I assumed was the kitchen to follow up. There was an Indian gentleman serving us quietly too, polite, but just quiet.

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but coming from a reputable restaurant in a reputable hotel, twice on different occasions with bad service is enough. I ain’t expecting too much. I just need to be greeted, even casually is fine. Or even more basically, to be acknowledged as a guest, not a customer.

This is the last time I am coming here, and never recommending this place to anyone.

3  Thank starzdevil
Write a reviewReviews (409)

Reviewed 21 January 2021 via mobile

Excellent food and service! A regular since ten over years ago and still coming here. The claypot rice is highly recommended. Go for the signature soups as well. Desserts - go for avocado cream and mango pudding.

1  Thank soule24
CC_Sing, Manager at Golden Peony at Conrad Centennial Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2021

Dear Soule24,

Greetings from Conrad Centennial Singapore!

Many thanks for leaving this wonderful 5 star review on our TripAdvisor page following your recent visit to Golden Peony. I was proud to read your comments. Our team members are here to make your time more special and I am glad they just did that. I shall pass your feedback to the whole team who will be as grateful as I am for such wonderful comments.

I very much look forward to being able to welcome you back to Golden Peony in the near future.

Reviewed 16 January 2021 via mobile

Excellent food and great service! Shirleen & Fenny were super attentive throughout the meal ensuring my table was always clean and my tea was topped up. Chef ku even came out to speak with my grandma (who is her huge fan from all the Chinese cooking shows). Thank you Golden Peony for always taking care of me & my family!

1  Thank liwenss

Dear Liwens,

Greetings from Conrad Centennial Singapore!

Thank you for your wonderful five star review. At Golden Peony we pride ourselves on delivering the most memorable of experiences to all of our guests. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your recent dine in experience at Golden Peony and we appreciate your kind words. I shall pass your feedback to Chef Ku and to the whole team who will be as grateful as I am for such positive comments.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another Golden Peony experience some time very soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2021

Had dim sum and dishes for sharing. creative dishes with amazing presentation, superb food and service! Friendly faces all around. Great service team comprising of Fenny, Eve, Kenny all led by Shirlyn, and even Celebrity Chef Ku came by to say hi! Hard to find another Cantonese restaurant in town that even comes close! Am sure we will return again!

1  Thank masey1832

Dear Masey1832,

Reviewed 15 January 2021

If you are looking for a date night with the missus, this is definitely a good option. Do try the set dinner for a gastronomic experience. Pretty on the eyes and tasty on the tongue.

1  Thank KatarinaLow

Dear Katrina

Greetings from Conrad Centennial Singapore!

Thank you for posting a stellar review about Golden Peony. We are delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our restaurant and I am very glad you appreciated the unique atmosphere, as well as our extensive menu. It is always a great pleasure to read feedback such as yours and I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time at Golden Peony. I shall pass your feedback to the whole team who will be as grateful as I am for such positive comments.

Golden Peony Manger