“First Thai, the ONLY thai!”
Review of First Thai

First Thai
Ranked #1,226 of 12,362 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown Core
Reviewed 23 August 2015

First Thai on Purvis St. just north of Beach Road. I am a bit of a regular. I love thai food and have tried many other options around Singapore. I always come back to First Thai. Lunch crowds can get heavy and usually quite full on evening dinner time too. They are closed Mondays. I have tried 70% of the menu and have never been disappointed. Some mainstay dishes for me are cashew chicken, kalian with mushrooms, olive rice, pad thai of course and ALWAYS the spectacular soft shell crab curry. Rich and velvety it will definitely blow your diet for the day but I promise it will be worth it. I noticed some new faces recently so I am not sure of there has been a change in ownership, but the menu and quality was the same. Excellent quality at a decent price. I bring all new arrivals in SG here. It is a "go to".

Reviewed 2 August 2015

Visited this place 4 times and I am really satisfied with the the restaurant so far. Dishes that stood out were the seafood fried rice, sambal kangkong and cereal soft shell crab. Although prices are relatively steeper, I feel that it is worth it for the quality and portion.

Reviewed 21 February 2015 via mobile

The place is simple fast cheap and delicious. Great place for lunch I would say. Highly recommend the larb moo, chicken with chilli and cashew nut and a papaya/mango salad.
Service is perfunctory, toilets are basic, opening hours are somewhat limited but all in all its one of our favorite Thai places in Singapore.

Reviewed 22 October 2014

Agree 200% the standard has fallen sharply over the years and every dish from the deep fried fish ($32 for big tilapia fish), mixed vegies, prawn tong hoon ($15) were very sweet - all too sugary ! We also had the fried rice and prawn cakes ($4 each) and mango salad ($8) but not green or red curries or tom yum.

I wonder if they have changed proprietor and cook or change taste to suit non local patrons (PRCs). Having worked in Bangkok and savoured thai street food to thai restaurant food, I can at best give them half star,, cannot compare them to the next door upmarket Yeingthai but more authentic thai café next door (which however does the larger la carte type dishes)

This is café style not high end restaurant so do not flaw them for lack of service or presentation for the food but quality and taste.. no excuse...

The 5 dishes we had cost us $95 (far too expensive for 5 basic dish !!) If you bring your thai friends (visiting) here, risk losing their friendship after dinner here !! You might be better off going to thai hawker café a couple of doors away.

2  Thank Highadventurer
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This restaurant in Purvis street area will remind you with those old restaurant in Yaowarat (thailand chinatown).
They decorate the place with lots of the thai king photos and chinese style painting.
No aircon, so better be ready to get sweat if you eat those spicy food.
I can say that the food are nice, and they just need to adjust and be more flexible a bit with the service. They charge plain water with ice, but when i ordered, they insisted us to buy mineral water and say, they could not provide plain water ( then why don't you just erase it from the menu? Anyway, is it very difficult to put the safe singapore tap water in the glass?).