“Black Pork”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Orchard Road
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Tonkichi, one of the restaurant under Pokka group. The only thing I know about pokka is the green tea can drink. My friend introduce me to this place as she said it is famous for its black pig.

The price is a bit higher if compare with normal Japanese Restaurant. Since it is famous for the black pig, so we must try it.

We ordered 3 set of the Tonkatsu.
Kurobuta Kata Rosu Set - Deep fried black pork shoulder loin, chawanmushi, appetizer, rice and miso soup. The black pig is from US.($28++). We substitute the miso soup with Tonjiru for $5.50++.
Iberico Rosu Katsu Set - Deep fried Iberico shoulder loin, chawanmushi, appetizer, rice and miso soup. The black pig is from Spanish, fed on acorn.($28++)
Katsu Zaru Soba Set - Cold Soba, deep fried pork fillet(3pcs), appertizer and chawanmushi ($24.90++)

So what is different between the US & Spanish pork? Actually I cannot tell from outlook. However, I found that I prefer the Spanish one reason being I feel the US pork have stronger pork smell if compare to Spanish.

Tonjiru tasted better than the normal miso soup. They added radish, carrot, meat, leek, toufu and there is one jelly like stuff which I cannot name it. It is better to consume when it is hot.

After the meal, we are served with watermelon for our dessert.

2  Thank AmethystAme
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Love their katsu - crispy on the outside and tender and moist on the inside. The meat is cooked all round but retains its natural juiciness. They also did for me an excellent salt baked fish - not on the menu but if you request and the fish is available, they will oblige.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

We like the store in the Ngee Ann Center. The black pork, with perfectly cooked breaded batter is never too oily. Order the Hire for less fat. The standard version has tonkatsu sauce and you grate toasted sesame to mix with it. You can also order the soy-lemon flavored Ponzu sauce with grated diakon which is my favorite. Either way, you will get addicted.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

They stick to a few things they are good at and EXCEL at it. Free refills of (great) Japanese rice, (yummy) miso soup and (redeeming) cabbage. Try the Toji.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

I do not like its overcharged price. There are other decent restaurants that charge LESS and the fried food they serve is equally delicious.