“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

New Majestic Hotel
Ranked #87 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

I was really looking forward to our one night stay and stop over in Singapore's trendy New Majestic Hotel. I had read the reviews and the marketing blurb.

I booked 6 weeks in advance. I carefully read the Trip Advisor reviews and was forewarned about the noisy street location, I selected VERY SPECIFICALLY the Premier Garden Room which overlooked the rear courtyard. The Hotel's fabulous web site encourages specific room bookings. I paid a deposit and the booking was confirmed.

Imagine my disappointment, when we arrived late at night, to be told that the Garden Room was "not available" and that we had been "upgraded" to the Aqua Room. Yes, you guessed it, overlooking the noisy Friday night street.

Nothing else available except the top floor, TINY attic rooms with no windows. NOT HAPPY JAN.

If we had been advised earlier, we could have gone to Plan B. To their credit, the hotel allowed us an 8:00pm checkout in lieu of being screwed over the room booking.

The positives: fabulous bed, funky hotel. Very helpful staff.
The negatives: really ordinary breakfast, bar fridge didn't work, in order to have a cup of tea downstairs rather than in our windowless, cell like room, we had to pay for it and couldn't order anything to eat outside of official kitchen hours.

On balance, we wouldn't book this hotel again or recommend it. This is an experiential hotel and if you can't rely on receiving what you book and pay for, well in advance, first time, then it is very discouraging vis a vis going back for a second stay.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SallyHMansfield
UnlistedCollection, Guest Relations Manager at New Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Sally H,

Greetings from New Majestic Hotel,

Thank you for your feedback. We deeply regret your less than satisfactory stay with us. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding on our part that the specific room you requested for was already occupied at the time of your enquiry. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

We do hope that you would allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and impress you with our commitment to improve.

Unlisted Collection: Singapore
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Yes, the rooms aren't huge but they are oh so comfortable, stylish & clean. I love the building it's housed in, the design, the quirky furniture. The staff and sevice are fantastic. The restaurant is excellent too. I love the pool, the nespresso in the room & my wife loves the kiehls products.
It's in a great location and not too far from the great food of chinatown & the train station is a short walk away.
Love!

2 Thank Roger L
Dear Roger L,

Warm hellos from the team at New Majestic Hotel!

We do look forward to your return so that we may be of service to you once again!

Best Regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Good area, in Chinatown area with a lot of transport options. Easy to walk around and catch a bus or MRT. About S$30 from the airport at 11pm.
The aquarium room was large, had a shower bathtub in the middle of the room - quite difficult getting in and out as the bathtub was quite deep. Handles or bars may have assisted getting into the bathtub/shower. Bed large but sleep sparse (see below).
Breakfast was acceptable. Nice to have use of an outside pool, although the hammering from next door was not that relaxing.
Hotel was OK. I knew it was a more of an art style boutique hotel but thought the staff were a little aloof and not that helpful or genuinely wanted to help (I understand that culturally we all have a different way of coping with situations).Although the room cleaning people were friendly, I dd not fine concierge or the breakfast staff that friendly.
I was disappointed to know that there was a large construction site right next to the hotel - I am talking about 4 metres from the hotel. It would have been OK if there was some sort of notice - on the website or via email as it would have changed my decision to stay in the hotel as, sleep was essential. The room did provide ear plugs but it was not till the next morning was it obvious how close the construction site was to the hotel. It was a bit of an atmosphere killer during the day.(Note: I stayed in another hotel in London and they made it clear that there was work going on to the hotel so it was expected)
I spoke a staff member the next day, he suggested I email the marketing manager with my concerns which was pointless since I was only there for one more night and I am not sure what the marketing manager could have done.While I was there, 4 people who were originally talking to concierge and looked like they were management, conveniently slipped away to the back office and did not try to assist.

Suggestion: Bars or handles in the rooms with extra deep baths. More towel hanging racks in room. Towels on the pool deck or extra pool towels in the room. I think one of those swimming costume drying machines would be good for the hotel as one usually stays in a hotel overnight for a couple of day and it would be a nice touch to have swimming costume drier for onward travel.

I have been going to Singapore for over 10 years. I prefer boutique hotels to chain hotels but I am not sure I would stay here again, perhaps a different room might be better not near the construction site side (Note: I did request a quiet room as was in transit and about to take a 13-14hr flight to London)

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pnau2012
Dear Pnanu2012,

Greetings from New Majestic Hotel,

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. Our guests’ ease and comfort is of utmost priority and we are taking measures to do what we can to eradicate/minimize the noise issue you experienced. We take our guests' feedback seriously and your feedback has been looked into and addressed with the relevant departments.

Meantime, we hope that you would allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and impress you with our commitment to improve.

Best Regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We spent seven nights at The New Majestic. Our room was a little small but truly stunning design, beautiful bed linen and the stylish interior made up for it. We also had a little deck off our room which helped to make the room feel light and airy. The staff were wonderful - they even made a room available for us to shower in (after check out) as our flight out of Singapore was a late evening one. Breakfast was good - although I would have liked more variety in the fruits (perhaps some local tropical offerings). I was also well looked after once I told the wonderful kitchen staff I was vegetarian. The location is near perfect - plenty of eating options and laid back cafes - the Books Cellar is particularly charming. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who loves the sense of old Singapore mixed with luxurious modernity.

2 Thank Xen_Paul
UnlistedCollection, Manager at New Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Xen_Paul, warm greetings from New Majestic Hotel!

Many thanks for your kind compliments. We're extremely pleased that you love the hotel and enjoyed your stay and time with us. Your note on having variety local fruits for breakfast have been relayed to the restaurant team and we look forward to your return so we may be of service to you once again!

Mae Noor
Marketing Communications Manager
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

We had a night to spend in Singapore on the way to Australia from Malaysia and decided to treat ourselves. The hotel was great and our room, although a little bit on the small side, had a really unique design. The breakfast was really good and the staff were attentive and very helpful. I would definitely stay here again although I would make sure that I book one of the bigger rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Greetings from New Majestic Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to drop us a note here. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you back so we may be of service to you once again.

Mae Noor