“Chillout @ Hangout (True to its name No Frills Just Fun)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of hangout@mt.emily

hangout@mt.emily
New Delhi, India
“Chillout @ Hangout (True to its name No Frills Just Fun)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Looking for hotels in Singapore at this time of the year was a task and I spent a lot of time on tripadvisor searching for a decent place to stay until I found Hangout at Mt Emily Street - we stayed 3 nights here

The place is amazing, its in a nice quiet area with Little India MRT station 10 mins walk through a park (uphill) & Dhoubi ghat MRT 15 - 20mins away, you can either walk or take a taxi ($10 from Dhoubi ghat MRT)

We were give a warm welcome by the staff and the checkin was just 5 mins. Some people might find the room small but for us the room was perfect, two big windows with a nice view, the room and the shower were very clean & the bed was very comfortable. No TV in the room but we didn't go to Singapore to watch TV and sleep so it didn't matter. They have free wifi all through out the hotel and in the room also.

They have a hangout zone on the 2nd floor with a TV, books, vending machines and free coffee / tea maker (coffee is must a must have) there is a pool table also but we didn't play

If you are looking for a nice, clean budget property not to far from MRT and located in the central part of Singapore then this is the place for you

Room Tip: Try taking corner rooms as they have windows on each side
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seasoned traveller from Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

Clean, modern, free wifi, average breakfast but lots of it, can be noisy depending on the 'guests', well located within walking distance of the city centre/ metro/ buses, very helpful staff and management, nice rooms etc
What more is there to say?
A great value hotel and we would definitely stag here again

• Stayed March 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

I got a deal on a Agoda for $25 USD for the 6-bed dorm and I thought it was an excellent value, especially since I paid just a bit more to stay in Chinatown at a hostel not nearly as spacious!

The dorm is very large and spacious. No bunks here! You get you own bed and locker/closet area that is really nice for organizing things. There is a bathroom and shower within the room, also very convenient and clean!

Securit is top notch with both key cards and locking lockers. Cool hangout areas on rooftop patio and second floor. Also great location...minutes walking to Little India station or Dhoby Ghat station on the MRT, two malls with food courts also just down the street. Also backs up to a small park where I went running, extending my route around the neighborhood for a few laps for a peaceful morning workout.

My only complaints: not many outlets in the room (only two). Standard breakfast, would have liked some non or low fat milk or milk substitute (I know that's picky, by one can dream). Also, fried rice had meat in it so not suitable for vegetarians. No fresh fruit, only canned.

Overall, wonderful. Very helpful and kind staff as well!

• Stayed May 2012
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

My husband, friends and I enjoyed our stay here last weekend! It's a cross between a boutique hotel and a hostel. Definitely the best budget hotel I've ever been to. Not the best location (it's a bit of a walk to and from the MRT station), but it has friendly and efficient staff, as well clean and comfortable rooms. However, if you don't like walking or have bad knees, if you have children who need a stroller/pram, this is NOT the place for you. Also, do not expect dailyl towel changes (either bring your own or ask for daily towel change). Breakfast is nothing great, but they have good free-flowing coffee in the lounge and a vendo machine. I like that it's in a quiet neighborhood and part of a nice, public park near the city center. Next time we're in Singapore, we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

I had stayed in Hangout@My Emily in late April 2012.

Hangout offers promotions on facebook frequently. When I thought that I got a good deal with discount, they just provide a new promotion with a bigger discount later. I was ever upset I need to paid the promotional rate for a triple plus or quad room, but what I have is just a twin room only. However, Hangout didn't disappoint me. I was surprised and blessed that they upgraded my room which make me feel the deal is reasonable, fair and worthy. The corner room I had is so good!!

The staff are nice, sincere and patient. They gave us help and useful travelling advices.

Hangout sells the discounted ticket of some sightseeing places like Singapore Flyer and Singapore River cruise. As the price is cheaper, you may consider to buy it in rather than in the official ticket office. About the Singapore River cruise ticket, please notice that the boarding pier is close to the Esplande side of the Marina Bay rather the clarke quay or the Merlion near the Fullerton Hotel.

The breakfast is good. I think at least you can have one time of try on that.

But there is improvement for Hangout. The walls are soniferous. I can hear 'Bang' at the night and morning when the visitors of rooms nearby enter in or out of their rooms. The sounds disturbed my sleep.

One point about accessing to the hostel through the Mt Emily Park. It's strange that when I went back to the hotel at about 10pm on Mon, no streetlamp were on throughout the pedestrian path inside the Mt Emily Park. But when I went back to hotel at about 11pm on Tue, there were streetlamps on. What a wonder!

And, I think it is okay to walk to Orchard Road or the Little India MRT Station which consumes about 15 minutes and 7 minutes respectively.

In overall, I had a nice and unforgettable experience in Hangout. If you going to find a quiet and clean place to stay, I would recommend Hangout.

Room Tip: Corner room is recommended!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends