Stayed for a month in a one bedroom apartment. The space is small, and I didn't get that cozy feeling throughout my stay. In general, the place is well-equipped, the kitchen has enough utensils for basic cooking, the gym is decent, and the breakfast was basic. But you will get sick of it after awhile. The rooftop pool is quite nice as there were not many people utilizing it. A few comments about my stay:
1. Housekeeping - I wish the staff is more courteous, as there had been a couple of times while I was getting ready for work, the staff pressed the bell and said "housekeeping" and before I could even respond (less than 3 seconds), she already made attempt to open my door (the latch was closed, luckily). That saved me from embarrassment as I was not entirely decent at that time. Also, there was a time when they did not change the linen for 5 consecutive days (but to be fair I did not request for housekeeping on 2 days in between). And also they forgot to leave any towels after they took away the dirty towels, and I had to request for it. There is also one time when the aircond remote was hidden under the linen after they made the bed! I had to look around for it for awhile!
2. The oven in the kitchen was not working, I made my complaint, and they said they fixed it, but it was still not working when I tried to use it.
3. This is not really the place's fault, but the construction can be bothersome due to the noise and accessibility.
Besides the comments above, I would say that the location is actually good to get around, there are 2 MRT station and one of them is Dhoby Ghout which is the main station with many lines which is about 10min walk, and Bras Basah station about 5mins walk. Plenty of bus stations around as well and getting taxi at the area is fairly easy.
Food-wise, there are plenty of restaurants nearby. Especially if you are a muslim traveller, in the same building there is a halal nasi padang restaurant, which is quite famous among Malays in Singapore, 24-hour Indian restaurant just a block away and a halal chinese restaurant behind the block. There is also a mosque within the building.
I think if they put more effort to improve on the services with a bit of refurb to the room, this place has potential especially once the mega-construction across the place is completed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in Singapore's former civic district, Somerset Bencoolen is strategically and conveniently located. A luxurious escape from the hustle and bustle of city life, it nonetheless puts you just minutes away from every imaginable pursuit. Elegant shopping, fine dining, pulsating nightlife, as well as museum exhibits and world-renowned cultural performances are all within easy reach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Somerset Bencoolen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Somerset Bencoolen Singapore