“the location and service to beat most”
Review of Hilton Singapore

Hilton Singapore
Ranked #66 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
new zealand
“the location and service to beat most”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

we are HH members so we do frequent the Hilton (and Conrad) a fair bit in Singapore. The staff make this place, there are some who have been here years and they treat it like their second home and we are their old friends. If you are new here just ask the staff and they will surely help.

Location is right next to the main shopping of Orchard Road so its walk-out and start shopping. Orchard MRT is a 4 min walk.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
HiltonSingapore, General Manager at Hilton Singapore, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear nzbased,

Thank you for your kind review of Hilton Singapore. I am glad that you enjoy your stays with us whenever you visit Singapore.

My team are most heartened by your encouraging feedback. Indeed, we are all proud to provide dedicated and personalised service for the comfort and well-being of all our guests.

As always, we look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you again for your feedback.

Alain Mahillon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I spent 4 days at the Singapore Hilton and had a great time. Upon check in I was surprised as a Hilton Gold member there was no upgrade and no access to the Executive Lounge. Especially when I was paying alomst $400 per night. At least I got free breakfast and internet access. This is the reason I cannot give a full 5/5. Otherwise I was happy with my stay.

I utilized the concierge to book my sightseeing tours. They were extremely helpful in helping me choose activities and booking them on short notice.

The front desk was quick on check in, but seemed understaffed during check out in the mornings. I can understand some guests frustrations if the wait is too long, but I didn't have any issues while dealing with any of the staff. That includes the cleaning staff, restaurant staff, and help with luggage to/from my room. I had some really weird hours and the cleaning staff accommodated an evening cleaning when I needed it.

The room was nicely decorated and I was comfortable. Without free internet access as a Gold member, I would have been annoyed to have to pay for it. I guess I could have gone to Starbucks next door to use their internet for free, but it's just easier to have it in your room. Lots of TV channels, room safe, desk area, clean bathroom, and comfortable bed.

The gym is pretty good. I never did use the pool, but I took a look and it seemed large with not many people using it. The bar next to the pool is a nice place to relax and see the city lights. I got an extremely expensive massage which was just average. I wanted to get the massage in the hotel to avoid any sketchy massage places on Orchard Rd. It is overpriced, but at least the option is available.

Food at the breakfast buffet was pretty good. Nice large selection with eggs made to order. Service was fast with coffee and juice. I'm not sure what they would normally charge for it, but having it included was nice.

Location is pretty good. Just a short walk to the MRT and within close range of lots of shopping. I took a short taxi ride to Dempsey Rd where there are excellent restaurants. There are loud bars across the street, but that really wasn't my thing. I can confirm that music is going to 5am as I was awake that early due to jet lag and went for a walk. I didn't see many drunk people, but dance music is definitely played loudly. If you have a street facing room, this may become an issue. Luckily I had a room away from the dance music.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street to avoid late night noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank daymeeyan
Dear daymeeyan,

Thank you for staying at Hilton Singapore. It was a pleasure having you with us and knowing that you enjoyed your stay.

With regard to your upgrade, we were unable to do so due to the limited availability of our Executive rooms. We sincerely apologise if this was not well reflected in our communications with you. Nonetheless, I am also glad that you were happy with the complimentary breakfast and internet access.

We very much appreciate your feedback that our facilities and service met your satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 4 May 2012

It's very hard to beat the location slap bang in Orchard Road. Walking distance to great shopping and eating and 2 blocks from the MRT. Pretty easy to get a cab any time of day.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Rick_Yvanovich
Dear Rick_Yvanovich,

Thank you for your kind review of Hilton Singapore, we truly appreciate your feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 May 2012

So honestly, this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Not the worst Hilton hotel but THE worst hotel I have stayed in. I do not know how it got the travellers choice award in 2011. It will seriously make me think twice if I am making a hotel booking in the future based on tripadvisor's reviews.

Noise level - Please stay away from this hotel if you do not like club music thumping in your ears from midnight until 5am in the morning. My friend and I were there from 29 April 2012 till 1 May 2012 in room 1015. On the first night we called front desk at 230am in the morning and complained about the noise and requested for a change in the rooms. No one got back to us for the rest of the stay. In fact don't believe front desk when they tell you the music will stop at 3am cause it didn't and it went on till 5am in the morning. No ear plugs were sent to our rooms. We drifted into sleep from fatigue while the music thumped away and numerous sports cars kept racing down the street till wee hours of the morning. The second night was worse. At approximately 11pm, a few groups (yes a few groups) of people were already drunk in front of the hotel. Some were puking. A guy could not stand straight and a girl was being propped up by her friends with no shoes on her feet. Opposite the hotel, it was like Patong beach. At the stroke of midnight music thumped away. We can feel the vibration in our rooms and we did not sleep till 5am in the morning. Yes 5am was when the music stopped. Coupled with the screaming and shouting on the streets and sports cars zipping down the boulevard (again), it was like a scene from fast and furious meets zoukout meets patong beach. Actually the best place to sleep in the hotel, according to my friend and I, was along our corridor where the temperature was regulated to a nice level and where it was cosy and veryyyyyyyy quiet. Lastly we feel the glass windows were probably not double glazed as the noise felt it was ten feet away from our beds. I also wonder why the Hilton management did not bother to feedback the noise level to the local government agencies URA and the problem of the cars zipping down the road to LTA. This reflects badly on the management of the hotel and shows how little the hotels cares for its guests.

Hilton Honors Gold - Do not expect to be bumped up to the executive room/lounge even if you are a hilton gold member. No reason was given why I wasn't upgraded at check in. A full american breakfast was offered instead (actually it wasn't offered, I had to ask for it) but even that did not materalise. As we woke up tired the next morning from not getting a good night's sleep, we happily skipped to the restaurant to think we can enjoy a good hot breakfast. To our disgust, we were told our room and names were not on their list (thanks to whoever checked us in!). The restaurant staff tried calling the front desk but of course it was busy. So I had to go to the front desk, explained our situation to this japanese staff and she accompanied me to explain the situation to the staff at checkers brassiere (what a complete draining hotel stay!!!). One of the rare staff who offered to help us out. Actually the same problem happened the second morning but the staff at checkers brassiere recognised us and just noted our room number. Thanks to that staff! In a nutshell, this remains the first ever hilton that I have not been upgraded and it happened to me in my home country. Shame on me for picking this hotel.

Nasty Brown stains - (pictures uploaded) So after a day of shopping I was hoping I can relax in a bathtub of warm water. As I laid in the smallest and most narrow bathtub I have ever seen, I saw to my horror to my left, splatter of brown nasty stains on the exterior of the toilet bowl. Whatever hope I had left for this former icon of singapore just leaped out ten storeys of my hotel window. What was worse was when I feedbacked this problem to housekeeping during turn down service it still was not solved when we came back after dinner. It was until the next morning when i saw a staff Woyeung Wong explained to her where the stains were and she was the only staff who rectified the problem for us.

Room temperature - The regulator on the wall was a joke. It looked like a toy from the 70s. At 20 degree celsius, it was freezing. At 21 it was stuffy. Coupled with the dinosaur looking chair (probably taken from a chinese restaurant in the 70s by mistake) in the room (please look at the pictures!!!), this completely made this hilton stay totally unforgettable. Unforgettable!

Checkers Brassiere Sunday Brunch - What happened to my beloved Sunday brunch at Hilton??? Half filled and I can see why. I have been going there for Sunday brunch for the past ten years. It has seriously gone downhill in the last couple of years. The awful sour tasting crepes soaked in liquer, the hardest ever cooked egg with caviar (what a waste of caviar), the extremely salty crab claw soaked in brine just made me so disappointed. And no more hilton cheesecake (they had a soft version of an oreo cheesecake)??? Wha happened to you Hilton Singapore? My beloved Hilton??? Seriously. This is coming from a good place, from a hilton gold member who happens to be a singaporean to your management. You cannot put the the foie gras station at the back of the restaurant where no one can see. Move the egg station, the foie gras people to the front of the restaruant. The aromas and sights should be enticing the customers when they enter the restaurant. And please, really please do not put large pieces of uncooked fish fillets and whole fishes without ice in front of the teppenyaki station and think it is appetising for the clients to look at. It's not. It can be done in more style? with just a bit more thought put into the presentation???

Customer service, Crisis management, Proactiveness - Unfortunately I have to grade this with a near 0 to1. It was non-existenet. And at the end of my stay, some staff at the front desk were already advoiding eye contact with me and choosing to stare at their computer screens. So thanks! Kudos to Hilton Singapore. Imagine my disappointment and the death of my heart when i saw what has become to the once famous icon of Singapore hotel scene.

Rates - marina bay sands at 275++ to 315++ offered to not even gold members. resorts world sentosa hotel at a mere 145 points deduction. Hilton, with your pricing and product offering, I have nothing else to stay.

Well actually i do.

never, ever, again.

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel. This is the only constructive suggestion I can give to fellow trip advisors o...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Chyneze
Dear Chyneze,

I am sorry to learn that your recent stay experience at Hilton Singapore was far from your expectations. At the same time, your frank review is much appreciated because it provides very important insights on the shortfalls that require improvements.

With regard to your Hilton HHonors Gold member entitlements, we were unable to upgrade you for your stay due to the limited availability of rooms. We recognise that our communications during your check-in should indeed have reflected this information.

I have related all your comments regarding your stay experience to the respective departments. Rest assured, we have taken your feedback seriously and will take the necessary steps to improve these issues, as well as our service shortfalls.

Whilst I understand your experience has very much impacted your impression of the hotel, I hope that I can persuade you to stay with us again in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Coming back to the Hilton Singapore is like coming back home. I've been there so many times, this place really feels like a home away from home.

It's not new, it's not even pretty, it's not hip, but it's a place with amazing staff, one of the best breakfasts I know, and an executive lounge where you always feel welcome.

I had a room on the same floor as the executive lounge, where every room has a balcony. I have to remember that for my next visit… Singapore is one of those amazing places where you can sit on a balcony literally 365 days of the year, which makes those rooms pretty amazing, and the view of Orchard road, probably my favorite road in the whole wide world is just stunning. It's alive almost 24x7.

I look forward to my next visit…

PS: Maxim is the young man who checked me in at the front desk, for the second time in a row… :)

Room Tip: go for a room as high up (if you can), because there is less noise from busy Orchard. Also, avoid th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Hans H
HiltonSingapore, General Manager at Hilton Singapore, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear tumbleweed67,

Thank you for being our regular guest at Hilton Singapore! My team and I are most heartened by the knowledge that we have become a ""home away from home"" for you.

Your kind feedback is truly appreciated and has been shared with Maxim. We have also duly recorded your room preference in our system for your future stays. Rest assured we will do our utmost to ensure your room request is met.

We look forward to your next stay with us.