All reviewsbras basahsingapore art museumnational librarybugis shopping areaplus pointclose to mrt stationfree internetsuperior roomshort stayantseateries
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I was so anxious of the previous reviews I read prior to our arrival to this hotel and was cautious about it. What would we really expect of a three-star hotel but the bare necessities a traveler necessitates and this place complies with it. Situated on a "not so busy" street is already a plus. You could sleep like a log with the well-maintained air conditioner. It also has adequate water with good heating system, besides almost everyone knows that Singapore filters its own water from the sea and is very costly and the rest are resourced from Malaysia. Oxford Hotel is accessible via train and is near bustling Bugis St. When you stay here, my advise is to bring toothbrush, toothpaste and slippers particularly, the rest are provided by the hotel. This place was fully packed from different nationalities during our stay here and as what I can say is it is a pleasant stay. Though the rooms are small, we were not able to really enjoy the comfort of the place because we were often up and about going places. There were two operational elevators which could accommodate a few persons in each unit, too bad if you have too much luggage with you. At times, instead of waiting for one to bring us up or down via the lift, we just use the stairs. No harm done, we stayed on the third floor. Not much staff was visible, the restaurant and reception staff were the ones who were visible during our 4 day stay fortunately room service was not really needed during our stay because as expected, our room was in order upon our arrival. For the small rooms, the bed we had was very comfy, one would sleep like a log, and there are additional supplies of pillows for each one of us, blankets were "crisp and clean". I rate the food 4 out of 5 because the restaurant provides a variety of dishes for the vegetarians and non vegetarians alike. The gustatory factor for the dishes are two thumbs up because what were served are the ones we need to fuel our physically straining activities during the day. A restaurant staff named Ana was very accommodating to us. Cons for this hotel is that wifi usage is charged, another thing is that although the comfort room is adequately sized, the toilet is not meticulously cleaned from the water marks and other dirt and grime on the tiled walls and the bathroom doors remain from day 1 til our last day of stay, a point of improvement for the place. When we first arrived, the first remark my husband made was that the room might have smelled from the perfume of the previous occupants because of the lingering smell the room has til the second day of our stay, the windows should have at least been opened for a few hours to take the unnecessary scent away. A very good place for budget-conscious people. We will definitely go back to stay during our visits.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria M
Reviewed 8 January 2013

This is in the middle of tourists attractions and near the train station so going around is not a problem and not expensive. It is likewise very near the cheap eating areas and there is a nearby 7-11 for the essentials that travelers need. However, this is really for the budget travellers since the rooms and toilets are very small and the water in the shower is very weak, unstable. The breakfast buffet is just ok for the price that we paid for.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kiklot
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Room size comparable to a prison cell, $190 Singapore for a late-night check in due to nil other hotels available (busy muslim festival on). Very hard uncomfortable bed and very average, poor value for money.

Needed to use the internet and bought a $2 internet usage for 60mins. The code failed to work and the internet wasn't working, terrible service.

Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank steelindustries
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Oxford Hotel was indeed a pleasant stay for me and my Family, having said that its great value for money. We had made our Singapore arrangements through Asia travel (Online) which included hotel accommodation, transfers, universal studio including the transfers.
Upon arrival we had checked inn instantly and the bags needed to be taken by self as you know it’s a lower star category and these things must be done alone. We had booked a triple room and I must say the third bed was also very comfortable it was not one of those regular sofa beds which has hardly leg space for an adult. I must agree with some of the reviews with the regards to the space, it’s pretty cramped up however we managed as we required the rooms just to sleep and we were practically out and about exploring the country. The sheets, pillow covers were clean & there were extra pillows available inside the cupboards. Room service was available daily to replace the very basic toiletry stuff, towels and the linen. The toilets were clean and I was surprised to see disgusting photo’s which were uploaded under review images. Some reviews can be misleading or maybe it could just probably be a bitter experience they faced clubbed together with an Airline issue. At the beginning the phones lights were not working however I figured out the wires were disconnected and the problem was resolved without having to worry anyone at the reception. Wi-Fi is available however 2 Singapore dollars per hour which is reasonable I must say. This hotel caters to a lot of Chinese guest & the food was not spicy in terms of our requirement being Asians, however nothing to complain as the variety of different types of food was available for everyone. Free flowing juice, tea, coffee, Milk and water during breakfast was available. If you’re looking for a luxury hotel to pamper yourself then look elsewhere as this is a very basic hotel and indeed falls on to the budget category. We had a great time as I mentioned we required the room just to freshen up & hit the sack. We had 3 check in suitcases which was kept on top of each other and our hand baggage strolled under the table and the others inside the cupboards. Great service and nothing & no complains. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank gayesha f
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed a week for a business conference and this hotel is not for customers who are in Singapore for business.

The people are very nice but my room was dirty and not really equipped for internet access or phone calls. My access was spotty and my calls dropped several times.

The hotel is right accross from the university and students were out partying all night. The floor that I stayed on was also party central.

I recommend you find somewhere else to stay if you're in town on business.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business