4,765 results
All reviewsfree mini barcarousel restaurantorchard roadthe royal club loungenespresso machinepremiere roomfar east plazaion orchardfree wifireplenished dailyshopping districtnon smokingexcellent locationhalal foodbuffet breakfastcentral locationrain shower
Reviewed 16 October 2007

I stayed at the RoyalPlaza for a week on business . The room was a little on the small side - okay for one person but would have got a bit crowded with two. For example, the tea and coffee making facilities are inside the wardrobe (!) and you need to have the door open to boil the kettle, but the door opens to the edge of the bed and there's no way to get past to the bathroom. The 'free minibar' is a bit of a joke - bottled water, a can each of coke and sprite, and 2 tiger beers. I was on the 8th floor and all the windows up to about the 9th floor look straight into a multi-storey carpark less than 10 metres away. The hotel is centrally located but this also means that the street outside it is extremely busy day and night. If you want to stay in Orchard Road keep in mind that there aren't many cheap eateries in this part of town.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Malingshu
Reviewed 11 October 2007

I stayed in the Royal Plaza on Scotts on a stopover on my way back from Bali. We checked in at 1:30 am. The front desk was very efficient, and we got into our room (525) quickly. Then it all went downhill...the room at first glance appeared to be clean, with the beds nicely turned down. But the longer we stayed the more gross it got. First, we had no toiletries, just the empty boxes that say toothbrush, etc, etc. There was an enormous clump of someone's hair on the shower floor. Then when my sister peeled the covers off her bed, she discovered a huge yellow stain on her pillowcase with a piece of tissue that had obviously been wet and dried on the pillowcase!! We called housekeeping immediately to change the sheets, bring us the toiletries, and oh yes, another bathrobe because there was only one. Housekeeping came twice to remedy the problems we uncovered. By the time I was ready for bed it was 3 :30 am and I peeled back the covers on my bed, only to discover that my bed had obviously not been changed either as there were short black hairs all over the bed. But at that point I was so tired I didn't have the energy to call housekeeping for a THIRD time. Housekeeping had been in the room but just to make it look as if it were clean! Disgusting. Especially considering how much this hotel charges. Unacceptable. With all of the choices in Singapore, stay elsewhere. I wish I took pictures, the clump of hair would be enough to say it all.

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank CKinSF
Reviewed 9 October 2007

My friend and I just came back from a 4-night, 5-day trip to Singapore. We decided to stay at the Royal Plaza on Scotts because we have heard many good reviews about it and we got a pretty nice deal with asiabesthotel.com.

We were not disappointed.

Check-in was a breeze and the staff were very friendly. I recommend Karen at the front desk, she is very warm and willing to help out...very knowledgeable, too. Anyway, we were given a room on the 6th floor. We were also informed during check-in that the hotel was smoke-free and the rooms may not have a view. That was fine with us. We all knew this before we came to the hotel, so it was not an issue.

The room itself was very clean, I think it was newly renovated. The beds were just right, as were the pillows. I love their slippers, though, very soft and perfect after a day walking through Singapore. Everything else was pretty standard. The bathroom was clean, but no bathtub. Personally, I like it better. I never use the bathtub in hotels anyway and the rain shower head more than made up for the lack of a tub, in my opinion. There had been a bit of a problem with the water heater once, though, but it was immediately fixed, so no biggie.

A great touch was the free minibar and the free wireless internet if you have a laptop. If not, there is a complimentary 15 minutes daily use of internet at the business center (2nd floor) for guests. I don't think they're that strict about it, especially when there aren't much people who are waiting to use the computers.

The breakfast at the Carousel was good, in terms of variety (and maybe quantity) and about average in terms of the taste and food quality.

The ambiance was pretty cool, and the staff as always were friendly and very attentive to your needs (I dropped a fork and was immediately replaced even before I asked for it). As the other reviewers may have mentioned, the buffet does not serve pork. Sausages and bacons are made of chicken, beef or turkey.

The hotel is in excellent location. Scotts Road is very, very near Orchard and about 3-5 minutes walk to the Orchard MRT. Beside the hotel is DFS Galeria and McDonalds and other malls just a few steps away.

Overall, I would rate this hotel as above average. It falls a bit short on the food (taste and quality). BUT, as we paid SGD210/night including breakfast, we consider this as excellent value for money. So this ups my rating, definitely.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank mullet_rock
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Described as a 5 star business hotel, the Royal Plaza on Scotts (RPS) is owned by the Sultan of Brunei. We stayed for two nights in September 2007 and were delighted with all aspects of our stay.

Location:

The hotel is on Scotts Road, about 200m down from the crossroads with Orchard Road. As such, the hotel is in a perfect location. We arrived at the hotel by taxi from the airport ($25). The MRT (metro) station at Orchard is 5 mins walk away and the efficiency and cleanliness of this system makes getting anywhere in the City from RPS a breeze. Orchard road is shopping heaven and most of the malls are easily reached on foot from RPS.

Welcome:

We were met at the door by the porters who immediately whisked our bags away and directed us towards the reception desk. Check in was easy and the staff were friendly and efficient. We were given our keys (cards), told about the hotel facilities and offered an upgrade (at a price of $50/night) to a higher standard of room. The fee would also allow us to have breakfast. We declined, and kept our standard room.

The Room:

Access to the lifts is controlled by your key card, which stops people being able to access the floors they have no business accessing! This is a good security measure. Our room was on the 6th floor. It was spacious and clean with modern decor. We considered the bed there to be one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in. The air conditioning worked well (essential in Singapore!) and the room had a 32" LCD television mounted on the wall in front of the bed. There was a LAN cable for laptop internet connectivity. The shower room contained a lovely 'rain' shower and was luxuriously appointed. You get shampoo, shower gel and body moisturiser, as well as cotton wool etc. Towels were white, soft and clean. The toilet was clean and there was a modern bowl-style basin. All in all, we were delighted. There is a complimentary mini-bar in every room - our contained juice, soft drinks, water and beer.. and this was replenished daily - a nice touch.

Facilities:

We didn't use the hotel facilities, but did have a look at the swimming pool. This was fine, but at the time we wanted to use it was full of boisterous American guys splashing around, so we gave it a miss - not the hotel's fault and the pool looked fine.

Any problems?

Only one, very slight issue... we weren't leaving Singapore until the evening, so checked out in the morning and left our bags. We did a load of shopping and wanted to pack some of the items into our luggage before heading to the airport. The concierge got us the bags, but then asked if we were needing a cab to the airport. We had chosen to get the MRT (quicker during peak times and miles cheaper!) so declined. He would not allow us to sit in reception with our bags and certainly wouldn't let us open them to put our shopping in. I can appreciate that they don't want people opening their stuff up all over the lobby, but all we wanted was to unlock the bag and slip stuff in the top! He did offer to let us go into a room out the back and do it, but we declined and went outside and did it on the pavement instead!

Overall:

Despite our issue at the end, we loved the hotel and would happily stay there again, and recommend this to anyone. The location is fantastic, the room extremely comfortable and the overall impression was one of luxury.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank StuMoz
Reviewed 20 September 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Royal Plaza on Scotts for 4 nights. I booked though expedia.com.au, who gave us an excellent rate.

Check in was quick and easy. Room was excellent, room was large with heaps of space. Huge TV with excellent channels, free internet and mini bar was also free and replenished everyday (except ours was not on our last day).

Pool was awesome and gym was standard. Hotel also has a funky bar on level 2.

Location was awesome right next to Orchard rd, close to heaps of shopping centres and places to eat.

I also requested a late checkout of 2pm and they gave it to us for free.

Loved this hotel. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple