“A good Overall Hotel in Singapore” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of M Hotel Singapore

M Hotel Singapore
Ranked #87 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Plymouth Meeting, PA
“A good Overall Hotel in Singapore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I recently stayed in the M Hotel in Singapore. This was my first time at this hotel. Previously i had always stayed at the Amara Hotel just down the street. Overall i found this to be a better experience here than at the Amara. The rooms were nicer, they were quieter and the WIFI actually worked. A couple of items of note, none really bad.

1) There is a large amount of construction in progress going on right next to the hotel. If you have a room on that side of the building and like to sleep late, the noise could wake you up.

2) I had some issues in my room with electric. It took several phone calls to get some of them resolved. One was never resolved and i gave up calling again.

3) All of the hot items i selected for breakfast were cold on the first day i was there. Fortunately that did not occur on any future days.

4) The bills did not itemize things like breakfast at all. You had to know what they were charging you if you wanted to itemize them separately on your expense report.

5) The clock, while nice and large, did not light up nor did it offer an alarm option. If it did, there were no instructions about how do configure it.

6) The WIFI was very easy to use and the connectivity speed was excellent.

I would stay here again on any future trips to Singapore.

1 Thank mpaws
MHotelSing, General Manager at M Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear mpaws,

Thank you for your good review, we are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Having noted your feedback, we endeavour to make improvements wherever appropriate. With that, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

I would stay here again.

It isn't Le Crillon or The Waldorf, but then again it isn't supposed to be. We paid ~US$200 and for that I surely would do it again. Location is great if you have business in this part of town. 2 7-Elevens right across the street so that's convenient. Food and cafes, bars, etc. all close. Excellent Singapore street/local food at Maxwell and Lau Ba Sat each within 8 mins walk. Nice expat/upmarket bar scenes at Far East Sq / Club St / Tras St also very close, plus others in the area. Walkable down to Shenton, Raffles Quay, etc. and Chinatown area.

This is one of those attempts at swanky W-ish facelift of an old property to be hip and boutiquish. OK, but some things you can't change, like old, beige bathroom color palettes, or ceiling height (1970's low).

Be warned that the "standard" club floor room is a Queen Bed. First and only time I have ever seen this. I thought club floor = exclusive and expensive = king bed, but here, no. You have to book "Deluxe club floor" for that. The basic club floor room is smallish. The Deluxe is much more like the std club floor room you may expect. Expect to pay more too.

The internet is a palaver, big time. It was free with club floor, but comes with a long alphanumeric random username and password and you have to enter both EVERY SINGLE time you use your computer or phone. EVERY TIME. I guess I must have done it 50+ times in 3 days. >_<

It is just within CBD so taxis will cost a small fortune to come back in.

The club lounge itself is more or less exactly like an airport business class lounge - same size, feel, F&B offering, etc. The staff are pretty good in there. Breakfast is pretty dire - the usual salvaged buffet food from downstairs last night + egg station. Considering that in Singapore, a beer in a bar is US$15 (or more) you can save quite a bit by having your cocktail hour there. We were doing some interviewing over 3 days for new staff and it was a great place to do that as it's deserted during the day but still has beverage service plus snacks. Nice.

No real complaints. Modest price by Singapore standards and good location, room. The little pool area is lovely and gets sunlight for most of the day if you want to tan.

2 Thank HKguy
Dear HKguy,

Thank you for your insightful review, we trust your stay had been fruitful. We have taken note of your feedback and endeavour to make appropriate improvements. With that, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us.
Tavistock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

My client had chose M Hotel as the venue for a two day training course I was running. This was my first time in Singapore and I checked in for three nights. First impressions were good although unlike some reviewers, I'm not a great fan of sitting down to check in. If checking in was even a slightly pleasurable experience then maybe I'd like to sit down and drag it out, but frankly it isn't. I'd like it quick and efficient or better still, not at all like The Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong.

My room was on the 20th floor and offered a view of an enormous container port below and beyond that a bay full of cargo ships. The room was impressively large with a big, curved desk to work from which was lucky as I had quite a bit of work to do. Everything I needed was there including power points that worked without need for adaptors. I settled in, fired up my computer with the free wi-fi, ironed my shirts and ordered room service. This was tasty but lukewarm. More about food temperature later.

The staff of the hotel seemed very friendly and have that great quality you find in the best hotels - the ability to spot the first wrinkle in your brow as you start to worry about something and then to appear at your side asking "Is there something I can help you with?".

I went down to breakfast on my first morning but found my food lukewarm (the scrambled egg was literally cold). There's nothing more unappealing than cold 'hot breakfast'. I opted for fruit instead. This was a complete contrast to our lovely buffet lunches on the 2nd floor and the delicious snacks served at coffee breaks.

The facilities for our course were good; everything was there and worked well and the catering was high quality. It's a shame that so many hotels think the basement is the best place for people to spend 8 hour days (no natural light, no fresh air, no plants) but that's how it is.

My room was comfortable and had it not been for jet-lag I would have slept well. The presidential-style desk was perfect for the amount of work I had to do. I felt like I was planning world domination, not a training course for the next day.

I ordered breakfast in my room for the last morning, ticking the 7 to 7.30 box. In the end, it arrived at 8.15 leaving me no time to eat it so I turned the boy away to his surprise. I gave the hotel feedback as I checked out. If you're on business, you're probably on a tight schedule. A 'delivery window' of 45 minutes means, in reality, you're hanging about waiting for a knock on the door for 45 minutes. This service would really be improved by squeezing that gap down to 15 minutes to allow people to manage their time with confidence. I'm sure its fine for holidaymakers, but not for business people.

Overall, I found this hotel an nice place to stay and run my course. Without the breakfast troubles, I would have given it five stars so I hope this feedback will encourage them to take a look at those issues and put them right.

Room Tip: Ask for a north facing room unless you're a fan of international freight shipping.
Dear tmukau,

Thank you for your feedback. We regret that your breakfast experience was less than ideal. We will look into this and make improvements accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

Stayed here after cruising from Dubai, great hotel rooms and service excellent, a 5 minuite walk from metro station, bought a 3 day pass and you can hop of and on all around Singapore.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank yesses
Dear yesses,

Thank you for your great feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I recently stayed at the M Hotel for business. The hotel is nice, clean and modern. But feels very corporate. If travelling for business and need to be somewhere near Capital Tower, then the location is perfect. A short walk in the high Singapore humidity will have your sweeting and struggling for air, but it's an easy walk and right near a few coffee shops, a pharmacy and a 7 Eleven.

If you are travelling on a holiday I would not recommend this hotel, as it is not located near any shops or anything interesting at all in fact.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
MHotelSing, General Manager at M Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Dear TheDinas,

Thank you for your good review. I would like to address your concern of our hotel location and share that we are just a 5-minute walk to Tanjong Pagar MRT station, which allows for easy access to major shopping malls along the MRT line, such as the Raffles City Shopping Centre located just two stations away. Restaurants and bars are aplenty at the Boat Quay area via Raffles Place MRT station, just one stop away from Tanjong Pagar. With that, we hope to be the choice hotel for your future visit to Singapore.