“Family style restaurant, great simple Chinese food”

Joo Heng Restaurant
Ranked #3,562 of 12,531 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Joo Chiat
Neighbourhood: Joo Chiat
Reviewed 5 September 2015

Love this place, use to my 2nd home. If you are looking home cook and comfort food, this is definitely the place. The steamed fish, beef and prawn paste are the love of my family members. I also enjoyed chatting with the old boss who has passed away couple of years ago. I missed him and his wife. However,the price of the restaurant has been going up quite rapidly in the recent months. It is no longer a place where you can just go for a simple meal cos of its price adjustment. Honestly, I will think twice before going there now though I still like the food. With the same amount if money that I pay, I can also try another restaurant,

Reviewed 14 July 2015

this is 1 of my favorite zhi char restaurants in Singapore. their black bean paste fish head, minced pork with salted egg & toufu with prawns are must try! Prices are reasonable & service super fast too even though the restaurant is crowded most of the times. Go there if you fancy home cooked food which is easy on the pocket, highly recommended!!

Reviewed 13 May 2015

A great neighbourhood resturant for authentic home cooked food at an average of $25-$30 per head, no service charge, GST, cold towel and extra charges on unnecessary nuts and such. A clean and comfortable air-conditioned resturant with >100 seats . They offers a wide selection of menu from seafood, meat, vegetables to noodles and rice. A medium size steamed fresh garoupa for 3 persons is S$44, steamed squids S$15, other medium size vegetable dishes around $10 to $13. Great value for money and the fresh ingredient plus good cook style and fast service make it very enjoyable. Highly recommend for family casual dinning.

1  Thank Fanny L
Reviewed 28 September 2014 via mobile

Heard abt this restaurant. Being close to where i lived..decided to have a family sunday dinner. We were a party of 6.

My experiential disappointment started with

1. No queuing system to acknowledge whos next in queue ..despite the operator knowing its crowded. I had to resort to raising my hands to tell whichever staff tat we have been waiting and should be next in line after 2 groups jumped us. We were almost jumped again by a family of 6 who "strategically" let his 12yr old son dashed in front and sat at the table whilst the waiter took us there. We let the waiter sort it out and we got the table.
Score 3/10..i was being generous as there were no system at all.

2. Bittergourd Pork Rib dish..served to us had more bittergourd than the pork rib. Six adults..5 pcs of prk..Go figure that..i guess they wanted us to fight over it. Taste was ordinary. Score 5/10

3. Cleanliness...
Very clean floor and tables..despite high volume. Good job. Score 10

6. Waiting time
Expected about 40min or so..before 1st dish came..that means you drivers please put an extra 30min coupon.

7. Value for Money
As i write this..i am checking myself. It is a zhi char place lets not forget it. I would rather go to whampoa st keng fish steamboat..

8. Will I return ?
No. If you are thinking to have a change of scenery apart from your usual haunt, then go. Hopefully by then they would have made some improvements.

1  Thank onelegkick
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Went into this Tze Char (Chinese cooked food) restaurant after work on a weekday to meet some friends for dinner. They seemed to know what they wanted and the dishes came as soon as I walked in. The crowd was quite good for a Tues night. We had lotus root soup, steamed garoupa, tofu with prawns, sambal tapioca and steamed mince pork. Apparently the steamed fish head is the specialty. Tasted pretty good although I thought the rest of the dishes were average. However, for good tasty food at reasonable price in the east, this comes recommended. When we left, the place was filled up!