“Good Olé Days Malay Food at Hajah Maimunah”

Hajah Maimunah Restaurant
Ranked #527 of 12,349 Restaurants in Singapore
Neighbourhood: Kampong Glam
Description: Hajah Maimunah Restaurant is one of Singapore’s most famous Nasi Padang restaurants, located in the Malay heritage district of Kampong Glam.
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

Hajah Maimunah is considered one of the best Halal certified restaurant in Singapore since been around in the 1990s, serving authentic Malay traditional Kampong style delicacies. For westerners, the word ‘Kampong’ means village in the Malay language.

Among Hajah Maimunah’s signature dish will be the Beef Rendang (braised beef), Ikan Bakar (grilled fish), Ayam Bakar Padang (spicy grilled chicken) and Tahu Telur (deep fried egg & bean curd), which are all sought out dishes by both local and international diners. My personal one would be the Beef Rendang and Ayam Bakar Padang. The ingredients are exclusively authentic rich with spices and herbs, and both meat are extremely tender and not too spicy when consumed with the white fragrant jasmine rice. Electrifying tasting I must say!!

Altogether there are more than 40 affordable dishes to choose from and prices range from S$4-$6 per dish. Expect an average price per pax at S$10 including beverages.

The colorful assorted dishes which are randomly placed on aluminium trays and several decorative plates filled the classy glass cabinet while mesmerizing diners as well as onlookers to decide on their orders.

Breakies are also offered apart from lunch and dinner. Hajah Maimunah operates from Monday-Saturday, 7am onwards.

Among other recommended dishes to explore are the Ayam Lemak Chilli Padi, Lemak Siput Sedut and Asam Pedas Ikan Pari. For desserts, the Bubur Cha Cha (tapioca assortments cooked with coconut milk), and Odeh-Odeh -a must try sweetener that will make you drool for more but hopefully not increase your sugar level.

This establishment has both two dining areas, indoor and outdoor, however, it’s quite squeezed during lunch time while seated indoors. If you intend to dine in big groups, I would suggest to make an early reservation.

My overall verdict, 10/10 for it’s food, service and an extra credit for it’s wide variety of food listings to cater all types of diners, meat lovers, seafood enthusiasts, vegetarians and for those health conscious ones.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

We went to this restaurant by train. We took the blue line train and stop at Jalan Besar Station. Then, we walked about 400 metres for about 7 minutes to go to Jalan Pisang.

We arrived at the restaurants at about 1.30pm. The queue wasnt that long but we still have to wait for about 20 minutes for our turn. You have the option to put whatever dishes you want together with your rice or you can have the dishes served separately on different plate. There are plenty of tables available on the 2nd floor (air-conditioned area)

I think the food was good. I didnt want to rate Average but for me the restaurant didnt reach the Very Good level yet, so it sits between Average and Very Good rating. For non ASEAN people, this is the best place in Singapore to try authentic Malay food. However, as a Malaysian, you can find the same food everywhere in Malaysia and Indonesia at half the price.

Average meal will cost a person about SGD8-12 with drinks, depending on what you select.

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

We went there for lunch. We have to order the food and pay for it then take it to your table to enjoy it. Very clean place. Nice ambience but can get very busy and crowded.
Food is superb. Some of the best Malay cuisine I have tasted in my life. I have to admit I am very picky about Malay food. I only go for Malay food if there is no other choice. I went here because of the very high recommendation.
We had the very popular Tauhu Telur. It was just fantastic. I also liked the Lontong. It would have been awesome if it was warmer. Anyway it was still fantastic. The Ikan Panggang (fish) was fresh, well grilled.
I would certainly go here every time I come down to Singapore. The sirap limau selasih was the best I have had in my life. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

home cooked kind of dish.. delicious... Always long queue... price for value...
family restaurant.... fast serving... wide choice of menu.... guaranteed satisfaction for those who loves traditional foods...

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Whether for a snack, a meal or a take away this is the place for old Singaporean Malay dishes. An array of soft drinks, juices and coffee is on offer.
Simple seating, huge crowd and delicious treats.