“Omakase is worth a try”
Review of Mizume

Ranked #9,455 of 13,594 Restaurants in Singapore
Neighbourhood: Singapore River/Riverside
Neighbourhood: Singapore River/Riverside
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My friend highly recommended the Omakase lunch set $128, each course is full of surprises, the sashimi is really fresh, the grill and tempura dishes are simply delightful, the head chef was really friendly, was an enjoyable experience for us, feels like we are dining in Japan, served the freshest catch of day. Thumbs up for the passion put into each omakase dish. Will definitely be back again.

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (4)
Reviewed 31 January 2021

Went to the restaurant and upon arrival was met with sexist remarks by the chef himself. NOT the way I wanted to start my dinner considering the price we had to pay for the dinner. Throughout the dinner, he kept making snarky and inappropriate remarks about sex which was uncalled for. This is quite shocking as I have been to a few omakase style meals and have interacted with many friendly chefs who know their boundaries. At the end of the dinner, he had also touched my sister inappropriately, disguising it as a "hug" for the photo.

Even if the food is above average, I would not recommend anyone to support a chef who is sexist and a sexual predator. It was really one of the most unpleasant meals I have had in a long time.

Also to note that he blatantly flouted the COVID measures and constantly took his mask down when talking/preparing food. The restaurant was also very packed and squeeze, with less than 1m distancing between each group. Do let me know how I can report this as I have photo proof of him not wearing his mask, as shown below.

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 3 January 2021 via mobile

This Japanese restaurant helmed by a local chef is located in a shophouse, with a cosy space offering only counter seats. Usually filled by their regulars, an advance reservation is highly recommended in order to secure a seating, especially with current social distancing measures that are to be adhered to by law.

A truly enjoyable omakase dining experience with good quality food, good selection of sake and wines, all at reasonable prices, with equally good service and a lively ambience!

Date of visit: December 2020
3  Thank Y880
Reviewed 10 December 2020 via mobile

MIZUMI @ Hongkong Street : Surprised at CHEF's Arrogant and High-handed Attitude ! ! !

I booked for Omakase dinner slot on 2 Dec 2020 at this newly opened restaurant after seeing the photos online of the food served and apparently reading some good reviews about the food.

We went early, waited and took much trouble to find a parking lot. Having secured one, we waited patiently again for the restaurant to open at 6 pm.

Upon entry, they pointed to our seats - a tiny corner space enough for one to sit comfortably but they squeezed in 2 chairs for us. I expressed my desire to change seats as I was NOT happy being tucked in one corner and unable to see the chef at work, which was a highlight in any Jap Restaurant. Those 2 seats were evidently the WORST SEATS in the whole Restaurant.

Instead of being apologetic about the arrangement and presenting their limitations to us humbly, they flatly refused to rearrange our seatings.

The Chef even intervened THRICE, demanding that “You need to respect social distancing requirements and my arrangements” !!!

His speech was duly repeated in a threatening voice and condesending manner. Even sounded like ORDERING US TO OBEY! Otherwise, you have NO CHOICE if you want to dine here!
Such was his sentiments towards his customer.

I felt unhappy, disappointed and threatened at such a predicament. I felt like I had to " kowtow " (bow down and pay respect) to you and yet PAY for my food. I was really NOT PREPARED to sit through a TWO-hour or so dinner ordeal and pay like $300 plus each person and to suffer at their mercy, wondering if they would 加料 in my food servings?

We travel widely in Japan for many years and are extremely familiar with the etiquettes in Japanese fine dine restaurants. Places like Gion Sasaki in Kyoto, which is ever so difficult to secure a booking... like 6 mths to a year ahead ... may not even secure a booking ! The traditionally famous Kikonoi Honten which easily sets you back by 4 figure or more ! Yet the service received in these places are top-notch even though they are world class Michelin-stared restaurants.
Yours is not even close to any star, yet you are so arrogant ! ! !

Having received such cold treatment, we kept quiet upon their insistence to sit in the corner space and decided to walk out! I felt angry at their poor service but relived being out of that horrible place.

Serving good food as per the reviews is not enough! You need to practice GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE to ensure that your customers feel safe and happy to dine in your confines!

Moreover... you are such a NEW place! Just opened in Oct 2020 ! Yet you are so arrogant and high handed in handling your customers. Good luck to your future.

Date of visit: December 2020