“5footwayinn- A Delight For Every Backpacker In Singapore”

5footway.inn Project Chinatown 1
Cebu City, Philippines
“5footwayinn- A Delight For Every Backpacker In Singapore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Together with some friends, we went to Singapore straight from Cebu, Philippines and stayed there for a period of four days and four nights, from November 29-December 1, 2011. Even if it was our first time there, we definitely had a blast. And one of the huge factors which really made our short sojourn in Singapore quite memorable, is the place where we stayed for the duration of our trip. It goes by the name of 5footwayinn- a newly-built, cool hostel which stands out in its own right, in an area surrounded by other guest houses.

I found 5footwayinn by chance. Almost two weeks before we were supposed to leave for Singapore, we still did not have a place to stay in. fortunately, there is Google which led me right into the doorstep of 5footwayinn. Upon seeing the website of 5footwayinn, I was immediately impressed by its interiors. The immaculate white color and the seemingly modern feel of the place captured my interest. I thought this was too good to be true and for a moment, I was even doubtful if 5footwayinn was as good as advertised. To quell my concerns, I decided to call the reservation hotline and I was instantaneously impressed at the level of professionalism that they displayed. The staff who goes by the name of Terence took my call and provided all the right answers to my queries. I even sent emails to clarify some matters about our booking and I was amazed at the promptness of their response. At that very moment, I felt that I chose the best place to stay in for my first trip to Singapore.

When we finally arrived at 5footwayinn, all my concerns died a natural death. I was instantaneously delighted to actually see the place. Indeed, the pictures of the hostel as displayed in its website speaks a lot about 5foowayinn. I would say that they exactly represent what 5footwayinn is.

Here are some reasons why I liked 5footwayinn:

• It’s squeaky clean. The walls are spotless. Even the common restrooms are also well-maintained. The rooms are also unbelievably orderly. I would give 5footwayinn a rating of 10 for cleanliness alone.
• Facilities are superior. Aside from its cleanliness, 5footwayinn boasts of facilities which will truly delight all backpackers. It has a relatively strong WIFI connection. If you are the type who needs to check your email constantly, logging in to your email account will surely be a breeze. If you did not bring your laptop, there is a place designated for internet access called the Attic. There are two iMacs provided for this purpose. Aside from the iMacs, with the comfortable couches and lazy boys, guests can also laze around the Attic to watch TV or see their favorite DVDs. Finally, 5footwayinn has provided an area where the guests can eat light breakfast, composed of cereals, bread, butter, jam, fruits and unlimited hot beverage for free.
• Competitive rates. Considering the facilities of 5footwayinn, the rates are quite reasonable and competitive. In my opinion, you get value for every single dollar that you spend for your accommodation.
• Location is very convenient. Situated right near the entrance of the Chinatown Station of the MRT, you can immediately go to your places of destination conveniently. Whether you are going to Sentosa/Universal Studios or Marina Bay, or perhaps, feast on Singapore’s dishes at the Newton Food Centre, 5footway in is the best place for your to be in because of its easy access to all modes of transportation.

However, despite these advantages, I think there is still room for improvement for 5footwayinn, to stay at the top of its game. One of these future service improvement that should be implemented is to place a pair of service slippers at the restrooms. Other than this, 5footwayinn is, nevertheless, a fabulous place to stay when you are in Singapore. I will certainly recommend this to my friends. And before I forget, the next time I visit Singapore, I will definitely stay at 5footwayinn again.

Falsemafia, journeyman

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank Kut M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I have never written a review before because there really wasn't much to write about; very few disappointed me very badly nor impressed me superbly.

But this hostel really blew me away and so I am writing this.

When the hostel sent me a confirmation email, giving me the directions, I never realised how near it is to the MRT station until I got there; basically you step out of the station and there is the hostel! Amazingly convenient. Almost all the hotels I stayed in so far required a cab ride or were at least 10 minutes walk from the nearest subway station. And mind you, this is not some out of the way subway station.....it is right in the heart of the city!

Then the breakfast: I expected toast and some cheapskate coffee. 5footway provided milk, cereals, toast, fresh fruits and some hot drinks machine with what must be at least 10 selections (ok I didn't really count).....better than hotels!

Beds were clean, place was cleaned daily, and everything looked quite tasteful to me (I am an interior designer by profession). Seriously, it is easy to decorate a place, but to do so tastefully, I can tell you it is not easy. These folks obviously know what they are doing (I talked to Joshua, one of the owners, apparently he is an architect by training). I didn't find the rooms or beds tiny, in fact, the beds were more spacious than most hostels I stayed in. Obviously, you can't compare this to a hotel because you pay a lot more for that, so I would expect a big bed and a big room!

Needless to say, the staff was friendly, helpful and easy to talk to when you feel ever so bored at night. The other guests there were also quite easy going as we hang out at their pantry set in a roof garden. I love their attic with the iMacs as well but I enjoy the outdoors more so I personally preferred the garden. But seriously, if during the day, the airconditioned attic is better.

I think I am going to be a frequent stayer here. Some of the people I met there have already stayed there a couple of times, each time they go Singapore! So much so these guys know each other already and go out together whenever they happened to be there at the same time....Amazing for a place that has only recently opened.

Guys keep it up!! Looking forward to try your second outlet next year! Meantime, I will see you at this one next month again. Remember to give me my favorite bed pls!

Frankie

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank FrankieLf
5footwayinn, Manager at 5footway.inn Project Chinatown 1, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Greetings, Frankie!

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post a review on 5footway.inn! Our guests' feedback is of utmost importance, and we value every review, upon which we strive to meet and exceed expectations.

We are delighted to hear that you intend to be a frequent stayer with us. With the lessons we've garnered from the operation of our first outlet, we are confident that our next branch will achieve equal, if not better results and satisfaction of our valued guests, like yourself. Do look out for our new opening, Project Sultan Mosque, on Trip Advisors!

Thank you and we truly look forward to having you with us again soon!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

Tried to get into backpacking and 5footwayinn was the better backpacker lodge I had visit during my time in Singapore. Located in Chinatown which is very handy.

Shared a mix 6 bunk room. Small. You get your own locker with a key so you can fit a small duffle bag in there as well as personal belongings.

General Impressions: 5FootWayInn is very clean. Shoes must be removed before entering the premises. Upstairs Free Wifi and hangout lounge. Didn't spend too much time there.
There is female bathrooms and toilets available and mix toilets and bathrooms upstairs all clean.

If I had to go backpacking again I'd def. come to 5FootwayInn again!

Free basic breakfast in the kitchen too!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank freespiritmovement
Joshua G, Owner at 5footway.inn Project Chinatown 1, responded to this review, 13 November 2011
Mabuhay! Thank you very much for sharing with 5footway.inn your first backpacking experience and probably for the first time sharing a dormitory with other strangers-turned-friends. In fact you did a fantastic job describing us that I believe your words speak a lot more than ours! We someone managed to welcome a lot of guests who are backpacking for the first time and so far we did well not to disappoint in terms of providing comfort, cleanliness, security and a sense of community. We also received a few reviews and we are going to condense the feedbacks to create our project of the year for 2012. Do look out for it on trip advisors next March. Thank you and I look forward to your return very soon.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

S$ 44 p/p for private room (bunks!)
S$ 34 p/p for 6 people dorm

5footway is a brand new hostel in the heart of Chinatown and the best part about this place is definitely the location.
Rooms are tiny (both private and dorms) no space for luggage and their sales pitch “5footway.inn presents a break from the conventional hostel with its well-defined personal and communal spaces, clever use of design and attention to details. At 5footway.inn, small is spacious and budget is boutique.” Is a nice marketing spin to justify that the place is a sardine can.
My biggest issue is the number of toilets and showers, which are not sufficient: expect up to 30min wait during peak hours.

Staff is friendly but English skills of some are poor for Singapore standards. The free breakfast is decent (cereal, toast, coffee) and is constantly restocked. Don't expect a seat during breakfast hours, too little space too many people.

If you put a high priority on a great location for a low price, then this place may be right for you. But don't stay here if you prefer space and don't mind to take a 15 min MRT ride to town.

Room Tip: Beware of the 48hr cancellation policy
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank poboxearth
Joshua G, Owner at 5footway.inn Project Chinatown 1, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the effort to post a review about 5footway.inn. We welcome all reviews because we know we are not able to meet the expectation of every guests but do rest assure we are constantly trying our best.

Firstly, we like to clarify that our private twin rooms come with bunk beds and that is clearly marketed as so in all sites. I believe you may have overlooked this and was not expecting bunk beds.

Secondly, due to our prime location; just next to the MRT station, in the middle of the cultural and heritage centre of Chinatown and occupying a conserved, traditional shophouse, our property commands a premium value that matched that of the Tsim Shai Tsui in Hong Kong or Shibuya in Tokyo. We have managed our best to provide sufficient space allocation for our guests. Individual lockers and/or under the bed storage are provided to cater to the luggage our guests. We haven't had any reviews or feedback from our guests with respect to the lack of storage area. We apologize for not considering the quantity of your luggages and should have offered storage solution for you. We will improve on our service to look out for bulky and numerous luggages from our guests.

Thirdly, we will be assessing the English competency level of our staff to ensure there will be no communication breakdown between our staff and our guests. We appreciate you sharing with us your communication difficulties with one of the staff.

Fourthly, we haven't had any issues with the waiting time for the toilets and bathroom. In fact we do pride ourselves to have one of the highest ratio of toilets to guests among the hostels in Singapore. We were a little surprised by your review as this is the first and only review so far about the long toilet waiting time that one can find about us. But nevertheless, we will observe the situation and not about to speculate what happened on that faithful day when you have to wait for 30 minutes for your shower.

Lastly, we believe that due do our popularity, we have many guests who brought along their friends to enjoy our terrace when food and drinks are served. We heard your experience on the lack of space at the terrace of a certain morning and we will bear in mind in future to leave priority to our in house guests and turn down visitors when the capacity is full. Thank you for raising this point.

Thank you very much for allowing me the opportunity to explain the situation and to improve where we can.

Regards

Joshua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

Location is superb. Just 1 minute away from CHinatown station means it's highly accessible by train to all parts of Singapore. Lots of hustle and bustle along the neighbourhood making in an interesting place to stay.

Although it's in a shophouse, the interiors are tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. My favourite areas are the attic and outdoor terrace. Attic is good for lounging, chatting with mates and doing some last minute research on their iMacs. Comfy and cost. Breakfast is served at the terrace. Love the unlimited Use of the coffee machine.

Toilets are clean and well-maintained (I'm a clean freak!). So it's up to my standards in terms of cleanliness.

Staff are friendly and knowledgeable as well.

All in all the best hostel I've stayed in so far!!

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Mrsbou
Joshua G, Owner at 5footway.inn Project Chinatown 1, responded to this review, 5 November 2011
Thank you very much for the 5 star review. At 5footway.inn, we listened and learnt from each and every feedbacks and reviews from our guests. We gathered all the experiences, expertise and passion from a lot of people to make realize this property. With the beautiful lessons learnt from our first outlet, we are sure our next branch will achieve equal if not better result. Do look out for our opening next year on Trip Advisors! I also would like to thank my staff for putting in the heart to make your experience at 5footway.inn a meaningful one. Thank you.