“Great food, atmosphere, and knowledgeable service”
Review of No Menu

No Menu
Ranked #296 of 10,645 Restaurants in Singapore
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Singapore, Singapore
“Great food, atmosphere, and knowledgeable service”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Came for lunch with a couple of friends mid-week. I had tried to get in for dinner but without much luck. This place has lovely reviews based on Osvaldo's previous restaurant, but I had also heard some negative things. After eating here, I have nothing but praise.
The restaurant name is based on its degustation menu, which is $98++ for a 10-12 course tasting at the chef's discretion. However there is an a la carte menu.
The restaurant is small, and the tables are tightly packed together, so it's very easy to overhear your neighbour's conversations and difficult to manoeuvre around if you get up to the bathroom. However, this is offset by large-ish tables and very comfortable large chairs, where you could easily while away a couple of hours. There is no business lunch menu, but the restaurant was still packed, albeit mostly businessmen.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by a taster of mortadella on crispbread - simple but yummy. We ordered starters to share - a burrata (flown from Puglia and deliciously soft and creamy) with prosciutto and salad as well as a mixed salumi (cured meat including bresaola, pancetta, ham, salami). For mains we had 2 specials (snapper with caponata and lobster tagliatellle) and a mixed seafood stew. For dessert we shared one of their house specialties, the apple cake. The food style could be described as homely, but I think it is the honest simplicity of good ingredients and technique that elevates the food beyond home-style to something quite special. The prices are very reasonable, and I think the portion sizes are very generous (bordering on too big).
The floor is staffed by Osvaldo's family, who were very friendly, as well as a number of locals. The local waitstaff are obviously well trained, encouraged to interact with customers and very knowledgeable. Unusually for Singapore, I felt I could be confident in trusting their recommendations (even more unusually, they actually contributed an opinion when asked). They were also very proactive. When our waiter saw my friends hand me a gift and realised it was my birthday, he took the initiative to put a candle on our dessert and the waitstaff sang happy birthday! It was very embarrassing but I was impressed by the eye for detail which is so often missing in the service industry in Singapore.
I am really looking forward to returning here soon.

• Visited February 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Singapore
“Best Italian restaurant in Singapore”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We went to lunch for a friend's birthday. The starter and risotto was awesome, big portion and authentic taste. The pasta is so good and I can't find anything better in singapore!very friendly service and it's a family run business. Not easy to get a booking but would definitely return back!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Nelly Z
“New Favorite restuarant!”
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Read the previous reviews and wonder if Singaporeans really know what true Italian food is suppose to taste like. Have they actually been to Italy? The food from the No Menu option was delicious and perfect portion size for me. The wine menu very good! We loved the ambiance and the service was impeccable! We NEVER had to ask for refills on the water or wine. We felt like part of the family and this was our first time here, but not our last, as we will be back many times.

Visited October 2011
3 Thank MimiD67
Singapore, Singapore
“Probably my favorite Italian restaurant in Singapore”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I first read about No Menu in October 2010, this is the restaurant which is opened by Osvaldo Forlino, the chef who previously used to run Forlino's and Osvaldo's. I first went there in November 2010 and found out that they have a 'No Menu' special, where they chef cooks a degustation of about 9-10 items for a very decent price of SGD 98. And I instantly fell in love with the place and the food, and I can honestly say it's the best Italian meal I've had in Singapore. I've been back again and again since, averaging around 1 visit every 3 weeks. The service there is amazing, typical warm friendly Italian service. I'm really surprised by the previous review who felt it wasn't good, I've tried the lobster dish before and absolutely loved it, sweet succulent lobster on fresh home made pasta. $50 is a typical price to pay for top quality food, and in my opinion, very cheap for lobster dishes. Highly recommend No Menu to anyone.

• Visited November 2010
2 Thank Gryphon1403
“No menu = No good”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Excited to feast on some traditional Italian food, we settled in with high expectations.

Ordered - Fresh Taglioni and Lobster, Suckling Pig, Rocket & Parmesan Salad.

Received - Maggi noodles with half a dehydrated lobster carcus, A fist sized piece of pork that was one short minute from being cremated before it hit my plate. Wilted leaves with a thick balsamic syrup.

Our dissapointment was only amplified when the bill came... given both our mains were "specials", (and special they were ), we were not to know that we would be paying $50 per meal for the pleasure of eating what could only be described as inedible.

Too scared to dare try dessert, we settle the bill and promptly left

• Visited September 2011