“I'm happy with my choice” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of @ Little Red Dot

@ Little Red Dot
Riga, Latvia
“I'm happy with my choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

I stayed in the hostel for 3 nights, and I was very satisfied. It was clean and quiet in the rooms, but very social in the common areas - there's a tv with loads of dvds, 4 or 5 computers with internet, plus wifi in the common areas, and there were always people hanging out and to have a chat with. The check-in time, I think, was at 3pm, but I arrived at 9am hoping just to leave my luggage. Instead, I could not only leave my luggage, but take a shower, have a coffee, check my mails and get all the sightseeing tips; and then return later in the afternoon when my bed would be ready. The staff is friendly (and I'm not talking only about Jonathan). Bring your own lock for the locker. The location of the hostel is convenient - it's a 5 min walk from the metro; they send you walking directions - impossible to get lost!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Zane D
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

My first reaction after leaving Little Red Dot is that there's NO WAY I'm coming back here ever again. That still holds true; but I can't be too harsh because after all, it IS a hostel and you can't expect too much for what you're paying for.
I had booked this place upon the very good ratings on Trip Advisor. I was very very disappointed from the very beginning though. First of all, I was standing outside the hostel in the humid heat of Singapore for 10 minutes, ringing their doorbell but not getting buzzed in. I tried calling their number but couldn't get through. After enlisting the help of the neighbours, I finally managed to buzz my way into the hostel. The staff were quite dismissive when I told them that their buzzer/door wasn't working.
Upon check out around 8am, the staff member was sleeping and most reluctant in waking up to check me out, show me where to put the dirty linen and return my $20 key deposit. To put it quite frankly, he was very rude.
I know the reviews generally say that the service was great, so I'm not sure what happened in my instance. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day.
On the positive side though: the location IS quite good. About a 10-15 minute walk from Lavender Station and pretty easy to find. There are lockers to put your stuff (bring your own padlock). The beds and dorms were clean. Air conditioning was good during the evenings. Showers were... cozy but very functional. Also, there's free internet which is very handy. Plus, the cost is very reasonable given the many other expensive options in Singapore.
Would I recommend it? Hmmmm... Yes for its location and facilities. But no for its service (or more specifically, the service I received).
PS - sleep quality wasn't great but it's what you would expect with living in a dormitory with other travellers coming in and out at all times of the night. So what you would expect at a hostel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Loraine_Australia
Denpasar, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

It's just five minute from Lavender MRT station, easy to find although we arrive at mid night, we can find this place easily. The reception is so friendly and nice, we spend 3 nights here and it was amazing. The room is nice, the bathroom is clean, and the staff are so friendly. You can ask anything to them. oh ya...one more thing, FAST internet connection... i like it.
They also provide computer if you didn't bring any gadget or laptop.
Nice to know that they provide us some options of breakfast, since on our first trip to Singapore when we stay at a hotel, we only get coffee or tea for breakfast...

But if you have a problem when you sleep, better you ask for downstair or backside room, since this hostel was in front of Lavender street. little bit noisy.

For the whole package, this place is better than our hotel at the first trip to Singapore. Something magnificant for our trip is, we could spend a quality time in Little Red Dot rooftop every night to chat or just to see the stars...

Nice place....

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Considering the price, its amazing what you get. Located next to a MORGUE lol but dont worry there are no ghosts, all the good things said about this hostel are true. Lockers (not for big suitcases -take a chain lock if youre worried) but not a dangerous atmosphere regarding security. Eat at food court past the morgue, open late. I did get shut out coming home at 4am but one of the guests let me in so it was ok. Rooms are a little crammed but people are well behaved. Discounts on the singapore flyer too sold here. Free wifi, drinks, aircon, what more do u need? Maybe somewhere to put your clothes while taking a shower :)

Room Tip: Maybe its more secure on the second floor if youre worried.