“Unique hotel but overwhelmingly busy...”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #39 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This hotel is truely unique with amazing views from certain hotel rooms and restaurants but unfortunately there are many negatives as well. The free shuttle coach to and from airport was handy, on arrival to the hotel we were greeted by a human stampede...and this is a week day and apparently none peak time. Check in at tower 3 was a long wait with no seatings so it was difficulty particularly for children after a flight. Our friends checked in at the main lobby & said it was aweful, long queues and people every where. The architectural flaw of MBS is the main ground level lobby or rather mall, being the only thoroughfare for access to ALL 3 towers, skypark, restaurants and the connecting shopping centre! The ground floor was busy at all times of the day. We went between towers as we travelled with friends and getting back to our room after midnight felt like walking through a sunday market. The much talked about infinity pool was well designed with nice views but spoilt by the sheer number of people making the pool seem way too small, don't expect to do laps in it. Hotel room; we booked delux room with city view, view was great and room size excellent for hotel in singapore, but what, no bath tub!! I was shocked and disappointed with the absence of a bath tub for my child and when queried was informed that only premium rooms have a tub...Now restaurants; expect to pay inflated prices for most eateries, including the food court, double the price of food courts outside MBS. All restaurants and bars on the top level(skypark) are expensive, you pay for the spectacular views, just a idea on price, we paid  S$18 for a beer at sky57 bar. The Rise buffet lunch was superb, from food presentation to the extensive selection of foods.The MBS's Banyen Tree spa and massage was a highly extravagant splurge for my friends and I, we paid S$460++ each! For a 2hr facial & massage. The experience was luxurious & great views again but if you're after value for money, try elsewhere. I was informed by the men we travelled with that the gym is unreal, great equipments and facilities. The gym is on the corner top floor enclosed by 270degrees of glass overlooking more spectacular views, a rather mentally peaceful and relaxing workout i was told.  I'm sure management are aware that the overcrowding factor of the hotel significantly takes away the luxe and exclusiveness of MBS and it seems they try to compensate by the excellent service. All staff from reception to security and phone operators were friendly and helpful. Overall, staying at MBS is an interesting experience and glad i stayed there, but will not return in a hurry until the novelty of this singapore new icon dies down and hopefully much, much less people (though i can't see
how they can rectify this unless they make skypark observatory and some restaurants exclusive
to hotel guests only as they have with pool, yet pool was still crowded when we were there).

Room Tip: Book a premium room if you want a bath tub. Stay in tower 2 if possible, more central, less walking...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank HappyCharlie2000
aacortes, Senior Vice President – Hotel Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Dear Happy2012-12,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here. I regret to learn about some of the challenges you and your family encountered that may have marred your otherwise pleasant experience with us.

I note your feedback on the availability of seating at Hotel Lobby Tower 3. We will be sure to review this to ensure that our guests have a comfortable check-in experience.

With regards to our bathroom amenities, our Deluxe Rooms come with walk-in showers only, and our other room categories come with both a walk-in shower and a bathtub.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your lunch at Rise Restaurant and thank you for your compliments on our friendly Team Members. Allow me to assure you that we are continuously reviewing ways to better manage the crowds on property for the convenience of our guests.

I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you and your loved ones back to Marina Bay Sands in the near future for a more successful experience.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

I was really looking forward to having a staycation at this hotel after hearing so much... but at the reception, we were greeted by many visitors all waiting to check in... it was chaotic and noisy... upon check in, when we went into the room, we realise that there were no bath tubs (We were later told that because we stayed in Tower 3, there were no bath tubs.). For a hotel of this class, I was expecting alot better... However, I must say that we got a great view of the garden from our room, which compensated for all the bad experience for the trip...

I had some issues bringing guests up to my room tho I understand that for security purpose, there were restrictions on the number of guests (Just one guest per key card) we can bring up to the room. The way we were stopped can be improved...

The next morning we visited the famed pool as there were simply too many visitors at the pool the previous evening. While there were still many visitors, we manage to find a corner to wade around. The view from up there is really beautiful and you can't deny that good feel regardless how disappointed you are with the overall hotel experience. You can't swim in the swimming pool since the sheer number of visitors does not allow that. You would probably bump yourself against another swimmer in less than 10 seconds. We had some issues going back to our room later on as our keycards were not programmed correctly for the extended check out we requested...

Room Tip: Dun judge by the photos... it looks like they have bath tubs in every room.. but it may not be so...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sue s

Dear Sue s,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I regret to learn that you did not fully enjoy your recent stay with us. Marina Bay Sands is indeed a bustling hive of activity, and to many visitors, that is the appeal of our destination. Whilst we are delighted by the enthusiasm shown by our guests, I do apologize for the inconveniences caused by the crowds and delays in our service standards.

I have shared your comments on your experience with our Security as well as the malfunction of your keycard with the relevant departments for their review and appropriate action to prevent a reoccurrence of such incidents.

I hope to be able to welcome you and your friends back to Marina Bay Sands in the near future and regain your confidence in us.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We decided on this hotel despite the poor reviews, thinking that it's been over two years since they've opened, and the bad service must have been ironed out by now. WRONG!
The person in the lobby directing us where to queue up for check in didn't know where the line was for those previously checked in online. Thus we had to wait in this normal line for quite a bit. The check in agent did not smile at all and seemed in a hurry to get to the next person. No personalized service here. Since both rooms were under my name, I asked if my father should sign for his room (so his signature would be recognized in food outlets when we were not eating together). She didn't want that. True enough, my father had trouble signing in a restaurant later in our stay.
It's true that this hotel is too huge to feel at home in. No one seems to care what you need, or that you are a guest. You end up feeling like a speck of dust in this huge zoo of a hotel they claim to have a 5 star rating.
On our last night, we decided to have our anniversary dinner at Sky on 57th, the restaurant on the top floor. We were only 2 couples. Since our reservation was for 830pm, we decided to have cocktails at 730pm at the same place. By 840pm we had to ask for our table as they had forgotten us. To make the long story short, by 955pm we had already asked twice for our main courses to be served. This was over an hour of waiting time. The explanation given to us?... That there was a big group at the other side. WHAT?! That they were given preferential treatment was adding insult to injury. An apology was given in the way of a fruit platter for dessert. We should have just stood up and left. WORST SERVICE EVER.
Other small details added to this bad experience. A used ice bucket (filled with water) was not taken away until the day I checked out. My used coffee cup was just left on the sink with the dirty spoons in it. I requested my beddings changed, and they were not. How do I know? Because the stained (with black smudges) pillow case was still there. The pillow was not even put back on the bed, and just left on the couch. And, I saw clumps of what seemed like clear gel or petroleum jelly wiped on our door. I don't even want to think what that really was.
Lastly, we tried to use the tv check out, and it failed. We check out thru "express check out" as per the instructions of the man in the desk. It's a small slip of paper that you sign allowing them to charge your bill to the credit card you presented at check in. It also says, a statement will be emailed to you.
It's been 3 days since we left, and nothing has popped up in my email. This is very unprofessional. My emails asking for this statement have been ignored.
Just as I said. This place is a zoo, not a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank mariamiguel

Dear mariamiguel,

I am disappointed to learn about your recent experience at Marina Bay Sands. The details you have articulated are non consistent with the service standards we adhere to. I would like to request for more information from you for us to investigate the experiences you have shared.

I have sent you a private message and I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Visited this resort as part of a work conference. It was lovely but very very big & slightly confusing to get around. Fabulous looking but a bit impersonal. It served our group well & the conference centre was great. Room was a deluxe with a view of the new Gardens on the Bay which looked simply amazing! Wish I could have had more time to explore the hotel, pool & Singapore!

Room Tip: Lots to see in & around the hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our anniversary. I was a little unsure about staying at a casino-hotel because they typically don't provide great service. Instead, my wife and I were given incredible service and an unbelievable room. The view was amazing and the pool was unparalleled by any that I have ever seen.

I would recommend staying here for 1 - 2 days at least.

I also want to compliment Saraswathy at the front desk of Tower 1. She was very attentive, personally escorted us through the hotel, provided us with brochures, maps, bus/subway routes, and even recommended her favorite drink at the bakery.

All-in-all, I am very very glad that we stayed here. In the Las Vegas, I have stayed at the Venetian, Bellagio and Wynn - this hotel stay was far better and more memorable than my stays at the aforementioned properties.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room, but I would definitely want to be 10 floors +. Otherwise, the view is mi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jcsfla
aacortes, Senior Vice President – Hotel Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear jcsfla,

I am thrilled that you and your wife chose to spend your anniversary at Marina Bay Sands. We are always excited to be a part of our guests’ special occasions and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your celebrations with us.

I am also proud to learn that our Team Member, Saraswathy, contributed to making your stay a warm and comfortable one.

As a result of your kind compliments, we are delighted to present Saraswathy with a Grazie Award, a Marina Bay Sands Rewards and Recognition initiative we have for our Team Members, to celebrate their success in creating Magnificent experiences for our valued guests.

Thank you again for your lovely review and I certainly look forward to welcoming you both back to Marina Bay Sands in the future for more memorable experiences.