“Amazing building n gd hotel”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #41 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Stayes 3 nights no complaints very hotel like a little ant basically.
But no complaints everything good service n facilities we used. Gym very gd clean empty amazing views. Pool top of the world n views. Rooms are good rates in VIP suite n didn't see much wow or Nefing special tbh. Wifi good throughout
U don't really need to leave resort with shops casino n good food court also in shopping mall.
But building is really special

Room Tip: VIP nothing special also food court is better value food than hotel restaurants only 5mins walk thro...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Shawn_Ng, Senior Hotel Manager at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and thank you for your positive feedback on our service standards. I do however regret to hear that your VIP experience did not match your expectations. Rest assured that we are continuously reviewing our processes for improvement and we hope that your next visit to Marina Bay Sands will be a complete success. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

My visit to this hotel did not get off to the best of starts. Arriving tired with a 4 year old and my husband following the next day on a different flight I was greeted with 'You can't check in because the booking is in your husbands name and your name hasn't been included'. When asked what I should do I was informed 'You'll need to contact him and have the booking ammended to include your name'... Errrrm not exactly a practical solution. When I persisted stating I was in possession of the booking confirmation e-mail and as he would be arriving the next day I couldn't really see a legimate reason for not letting me check in another member of staff finally intercepted stating I could.

After going through the check in formalities I was then informed a room wouldn't be available for 3hrs. No offer of stowing luggage was made or suggestions as to how we could pass the time. I asked if we could use the restaurant at the pool level. I was then given a complimentary lift pass but no instructions how to get there. I was starting to get seriously exasperated ( probably because of fatigue) asking on what floor was the pool, where were the lifts, can I ???? etc. on getting into the lift with a stroller, luggage etc I found the lift card didn't work arrgggh. Fortunately another client very kindly assisted me to the pool and security were nice enough to give me access to the pool area which is strictly reserved for guests with working access cards.

The pool has been described as the best hotel swimming pool in the world personally I think that's an unfair accolade it's a one of a kind pool. It is located on the 57th floor which means you are so high up you have an unobstructed view of the cityline but the pool itself is a pretty average infinity pool. If you take away the view it's long, narrow and if busy very crowded due to the lack of space.

The staff at the pool were very accomodating on our arrival which made me feel a lot better. They readily helped with our belongings getting myself and my daughter settled. We had lunch there which I thought was very good, quickly served and more reasonably priced than I was expecting. I was however concerned by the life guards supposedly on duty. In the 3 hrs we spent at the pool neither one of them actually did any life guard duties. I counted 15 toddlers in the pool at one time and neither one of them had a clue as they were more intent on talking to what appeared to be a lone single female. That said the next day there was a life guard on duty who took his resposibilities a more seriously and did pay attention to what was going on and enforced pool regulations appropriately.

When we returned back to reception to get our room the procedure was pretty quick, again however I would have to point out no one offered to assist getting our belongings to the room ... Not exactly a 5* service. The room itself was spacious, contempary and well equipped with free wi fi. My only critism of the room really was that there was only a shower in the bathroom, the wi fi had a tendency to go offline and house keeping had failed to remove two pairs of dirty socks left on the balcony by one of its previous occupants but I considered these minor things.

I e-mailed my husband to let him know of the difficulties we had experienced checking in and unknown to me he contacted the hotel directly and spoke to the duty manager. I later received a message stating that as an apology we had been offered a complimentary breakfast the next day... A small gesture but an acknowledgement that maybe things could have been handled a little better.

I called to check where we would be able to have breakfast the next morning only to be told but your package doesn't include breakfast madam.... Even after trying to explain that the duty manager had supposedly updated the records to state one was included I couldn't get anything other than I'm sorry madam. Later it transpired that the manager had credited a $100 food and beverage voucher for me to use at the hotel. Sadly by the time I found out it was too late for me to really benefit from it as I had been paying rather than signing in the outlets.

I had a continental breakfast for $12 by the pool which I considered great value. It included a hot drink, a fresh fruit juice and 3 bakery items. It was a busy morning however and the service wasn't close to what we had experienced the day before. The drinks arrived and 20 mins later after asking I was still waiting for the bakery items. I thought the breakfast really suited adults but not so much my daughter so I asked if it was possible to get something from the pool menu or pool restaurant for my her . I had hoped to hear something along the lines of course or as least I can't promise but I'll ask if it's possible. Instead I was very bluntly told no the menu isn't available until later and the restaurant food isn't served in the pool area. When I insisted that they at least ask before declining my request they agreed... Apparently it wasn't possible but they did bring two complimentary croissants for my daughter.

After breakfast we returned to our room to find the key card not working. Rather than going all the way to the lobby I called reception on the house phone and asked if they could assist. I was asked to wait outside our room and someone would come. Some twenty minutes later I was still waiting so I went looking to ask a member of house keeping to assist. After confirming our details we were let in the room. Another 20 mins later whilst in the shower I could hear the door bell ringing and someone shouting security. In the end I had to get out of the shower and go to the door because it was evident they weren't going away and I was pretty sure they were going to enter the room.

The location is in a part of town I really love. I'm not a huge fan of spending time on Orchard Road. I think if you spend a day there you've done it so to speak. I prefer to be close to the water where there is easy access by foot to The Esplanade, Suntec, Marina Bay, Millenium Walk, Raffles City, Boat Quay, CBD, If you don't want to go to these places and prefer to be on Orchard maybe it's worth staying a night or two out of your trip to experience the casino and the luxury shopping/restaurants at Marina Bay Sands before going somewhere else.

Rating this hotel is difficult for me. I think there has been so much hype about this place that you'd expect everything to be perfect and it isn't. The rooms,location,food are 4/5* but the overall service is inconsistent. The service by the pool was excellent one day but when busy not so great the next. My dealings with reception even on check out left me with little desire to ever return. I'd like to believe I was unfortunate in my experience but for the money I paid I know I can stay in other hotels where I will get CONSISTANT service and better value.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jc1967Uk

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am disappointed to learn about the challenges you and your family encountered during your recent stay with us. The details you have articulated here are not consistent with the high service standards we adhere to at Marina Bay Sands. I have sent you a private message and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Just spent a wonderful week at the Marina Sands. Our room was on the 47th floor with a good size balcony, spacious room, bathroom with full size bath tub, separate enclosed shower, and separate toilet. Views over the harbor which was quite pleasant with the changing scenery of ships entering and leaving ever hour. The motel is magnificent, a must to see, from the enormous entry to the multi level shopping plaza where there something for everyone, from world renown fashion and jewelry to budget clothing and eateries, even has a 7 eleven. The Casino is massive, the pokies gave us a good run before taking our donation. The theaters are well designed with easy access for those not so stable on their legs. The pool area is another must even if you are not a guest; cost SD$20 for visitors. The views are spectacular or just have a drink from the Bar or Night Club.
Location is great close enough from the city without being to far away about SD$8 in a cab which are plentiful at the front door, our average wait was less than 5 minutes. Tour bus, (hop on hop off) are at the side of the motel and the railway below.
There is a courtesy coach to and from the airport. Easy checking and express check out if required. Friendly staff with a great knowledge of where to go info, internet print outs of places and maps to guide you.
Accommodation was well above our expectations especially when we compared tariffs to other luxury motels, some of which was twice the price. Our room cost was AUD$375 per night (February period) plus breakfast, AUD$75 for two people. The buffet breakfast has a good variety and seconds (or thirds as we noticed) was not a problem.
We had such a lovely time that we are planning to return later this year.

Room Tip: Rooms below Level 10 can be noisy
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BOATIE43
aacortes, Senior Vice President - Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am delighted to hear that you had a lovely week’s stay with us and had the opportunity to explore much of our property, including The Shoppes, Theaters and the SkyPark which is indeed a highlight for many of our guests.

I am especially heartened to learn that our Team Members’ friendly disposition made an impressive mark on you and contributed to your enjoyable stay.

Thank you once again for sharing your positive experiences with us and I certainly look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to Marina Bay Sands later this year.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

its a great hotel and will definately go back. i have read some reviews saying the lobby is too big and impersonal, and whilst that is true, i didnt find it a problem.
you would assume that when sat by the pool, the drinks will be the same price whoever you order from, but this is not the case. there are 3 seperate restaurants so depending which end you are at will determine who serves you. we were at the 'ku de ta' end which is by far the most expensive !
had dinner in 'cut' ... not cheap, but by far the best steak i have ever eaten !

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel lobby is indeed a bustling hive of activity, which to many of our guests, is the appeal of our destination. It is great to hear that you had the opportunity to have a wonderful meal at CUT, one of the many Celebrity Chef restaurants at Marina Bay Sands.

I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to Marina Bay Sands soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Before I came to Marina Bay Sands, I heard so much about it - thanks to heavy advertising and PR.

Staying at it, however, is a little different than what I thought.

The room is alright. Beautifully designed with good taste. It's also new and well maintained. While not huge, it certainly is spacious enough for 2 persons.

What fails to meet my expectation is the servic. Workers came to my room 4-5 times during 10am-3pm yesterday. Be it to check the fridge, to fill up the fridge, to cut the flowers on our balcony, etc. that really disturbed my rest.

Other than that, it's a beautiful hotel and while being expensive, it's aligne with the overpriced Singaporean hotels :(

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank fon_tisayakorn

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Whilst I am glad to hear that you found the room to your satisfaction, I am concerned to learn that our service delivery did not meet your expectations. I apologize for the inconveniences caused. I have shared your feedback with our Housekeeping Department head for review on their processes.

Thank you again for sharing the details of your experience and I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Marina Bay Sands in the future.