Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
₹9,546
Fully refundable before Wed, 6 Mar
KLOOK
₹7,567
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 May 2012

81 Star is about 5-10 minute walk from Arjunied MRT station, or a SGD10 ride away from Clarke Quay. There are shops, restaurants and convenience stores nearby on the main Geelang road. Also nearby (opposite the hotel) are about six (legal) brothels – but as has been written by previous reviewers, this does not really impact hotel guests - all is behind closed doors.

Reception was fast, friendly and efficient. The room itself was a pleasant surprise. It is the largest I have seen in any budget hotel in Singapore and fairly clean, though quite old. The bed was large, the (open) wardrobe was also large enough, and the room also had a big (CRT) TV, a small dressing table and a (torn) foam-cushioned plastic stool. Also in the room were the customary complimentary kettle with mugs, tea, coffee etc. and a hair dryer.
The bathroom was also fairly large, but with no shower tall - so after each shower the entire room was wet. A/c was old but functioning.
The floor was bare (tile ?), and the room was a little bit dark - all in all fairly comfortable but certainly old and worn.

What may cause some people discomfort is that quite a few hotel guests (seem to be mostly Malaysians and Indians) bring hookers back to the room – so there are some interesting people going up and down th eleveator. Yes, there is a reason the mattress has a nylon underlay. Although the hotel has a real seedy feel to it - all in all it's not a bad choice.

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Danno_99
Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights for university search in Singapore. This hotel has clean and minimalist room, fit for me who stayed alone. But don't expect much about the service,they just serve basic needs. Geylang area isn't good for family trip who bring young childrens,only fit for solo traveler or couple. :)

1  Thank jendtrave
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Recently stayed at this property during a 12 hour layover in Singapore. I knew what to expect, as I had stayed at similar hotels previously.
Good choice for overnight stopover, as clean and for $50, you can't go wrong.
Plenty of ladies of the night in the street where its located, but they don't bother you unless you make contact. Also plenty of great places to eat in Geylang Road.
Would stay again if necessary to stopover in Singapore. Don't bring the kids though, suitable for single or couple only.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I booked this hotel as a 1 night stopover based on the price and reviews. Wasn't quite sure what to expect as many reviews made note of the red light district, however was pleasantly suprised.
After arriving late due to a delayed flight, our taxi driver took us straight there, no issue in regards to locating the hotel. The gentleman on reception was quite pleasant and offered us a free late check out due to our late arrival. The room was clean, however there was a strong cigarette smell, which was fixed somewhat by the air con. The bed was comfortable although the sheets seemed slightly too short, revealing a plastic covered mattress. The lack of shower curtain in the bathroom led to a very wet floor after showering but this dried quickish.
The next morning we had a walk around the area, and there were many places to eat and drink, with lots of local character. The MRT station is also quite close which made it a good base. For a cheap hotel I was pleasantly suprised.

Room tip: Try for a non-smoking (if these exist)
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jobiek
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I did not know that the area (Geylang) was Prostitution Capital of Singapore when I booked the hotel. There were loads of women on the street, accosting me as a single male traveller, and I did not enjoy the experience. This hotel lets hookers in, so it's not a suitable hotel for tourists to use. The staff is not particularly nice, never saw anyone smile at the guests, and when I checked out there was suddenly an additional charge on my bill! They took it off, but it was never explained how it got there in the first place, so watch their charges carefully. I chose this hotel as it was near an MRT station, but now that I know Singapore better, I will never stay in Geylang again.

Date of stay: March 2012