“LOVE IT”
Review of Kafe Utu

Kafe Utu
Ranked #955 of 14,287 Restaurants in Singapore
Neighbourhood: Central Area/City Area
Description: Singapore's first African themed cafe and lounge taking up all three floors of a shop house in the gorgeous Keong Saik area. UTU is a cosy refuge away from the hustle bustle of everyday life. Our award winning Baristas serve our house blend, named “Ubuntu”, a blend of beans from Uganda, Mexico and Brazil . You can expect a rich buttery texture with hints of cashew nuts & brown sugar, subtle notes of red wine, caramelised apricot acidity and an intense dark chocolate finish. We believe that for a coffee to be great, you have to use not only great beans but also great milk! We exclusively use Hokkaido Milk, extra creamy, extra wonderful. UTU serves up a full brunch menu as well as authentic dishes from East and West Africa. Charred Aubergine with beef, Swahili Fish curry, Cassava Leaf with chicken, and much more. At night Kafe UTU transforms into UTU Lounge serving dinner, tapas and premium beautifully created cocktails made from only fresh ingredients and small batch spirits.
Reviewed 15 August 2022

we are becoming regulars because this place offers great atmosphere and food is consistenly good. Items on the menu are all very tasty, food is fresh n hearthy. drinks also are nice, african with a modern twist. We love it!

Date of visit: August 2022
Write a reviewReviews (68)

Reviewed 14 August 2022 via mobile

I’ve returned to this cafe almost every weekend for brunch. Amazing food and really great atmosphere. My favourite has got to be the Maraghwe and my partner loves the goat curry as well as the chicken tagine. Special thanks to Chris for always taking care of us! Ps we usually come by the cafe on our bikes. Always a pleasure dining here.

Date of visit: August 2022
Reviewed 4 July 2022

Great service, interesting and very tasty food. Both good for brunch and equally at dinner with food you don't really find in Singapore. Just put your name on the waiting list and grab a drink nearby. The queue can be long.....

Date of visit: March 2022
Reviewed 11 May 2022 via mobile

Most magnificent beautiful cafe presenting the best of Africa culture and heritage. Food was fabulous and the environment was comforting and cosy. The heroes of Kafe Utu deserve so much recognition for their exceptional service, so helpful, welcoming and kind. Very grateful and thankful to Rich, Ez and Kez for taking good care of us during our visit ❤️

Date of visit: May 2022
Reviewed 9 May 2022

I have long wanted to try Utu Kafe. While in grad school in the States, my friends and I would occasionally go to Buraka, a simple but lively cafe near campus serving amazing Ethiopian food. Consequently, I was looking to relive some of those found memories in Singapore by eating at Utu Kafe. And I certainly was not disappointed. My wife and I ate there on a Friday night (the restaurant generally does not take reservations, so we just walked in with no problems). There were many staff working - all very friendly, personable and diligent. We loved the matoke (Ugandan stew) and fish curry. I washed it down with a nice, cold Tusker beer from Kenya. The general environment is festive and relaxed - perfect for decompressing after a long work week.

Date of visit: May 2022