“Clean, Safe and Friendly”
Review of The Mitraa

The Mitraa
Winnipeg, Canada
“Clean, Safe and Friendly”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Great Hostel! I stayed in a six bed dorm for 5 nights. It was very clean, the garbage cans never over flowing. Staff was very friendly, every single one always had a smile and greeting. Very willing in helping me arrange a taxi at 3 a.m. for my flight. Very close to a major bus stop and only 5 minute walk from the metro station. The Wifi was very reliable, comfortable beds. I would stay here again without hesitation.

Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 March 2012

this was my first time staying at a hostel, so i didn't expect much. and i'm glad i didn't, because the reality was much better! i stayed for one night with my friends, so i took a mixed room for 6 people. the check in process was a little long because the staff needs to write the identity of all guests. when i went to the room, it was very clean! the bed sheets were very clean, even if it was white i didn't see any stain there. there were only 6 beds and lockers beneath the bed. it was enough because i stayed at hotel only for sleeping. the bathroom was also clean and all the properties are functional. u get a free breakfast, they serve breads, bread toaster, jam, tea, coffee, and hot water, and it's enough to fill your stomach to start the day. the staffs were friendly, and they treat you not like a guest but like a friend (don't worry, they won't cross the line). oh, and they serve a free wifi! the connection was fast and i can use it properly. they also sell drinks, including mineral water. fyi, mineral water price in singapore is so expensive, and mineral water at this hotel is the cheapest i've ever seen! really glad, i think i'll stay here again if i go to singapore :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank hanna249
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed with my friends in this hostel and our experience was too good. We all enjoyed the place, facilities and friendly service. Beds were very comfortable and big. My friends really enjoyed the unlimited breakfast. Free Wi-fi is really a bonus. Place was neat and clean at all times. Location was convenient with eateries & shopping complex around. Appreciate the friendly staff who were always helpful to our needs. I would certainly visit this place again during my next visit to Singapore.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Angouus
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Had a 4 beds dorm. The beds are big and comfy and the rooms are clean! Breakfast is simple, but it gives you a good start. Aircon, hotshower and free wifi. The staff is wonderful, so helpful and smiling! I can really recomend this, especially for backpackers!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank homelessdog
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I've always wanted to go to Singapore. I had an opportunity at a very cheap price and hopped on it. Spent three nights at the YWCA Fort Canning Lodge because of tripadvisor.com recommendations. That was good! However, even though that location was very reasonably priced, I was tired of watching the credit car bill rise. So I decided to make my last two nights (only actually stayed one though) my first attempt at a hostel. Based on recommendations I decided to try The Mitraa.

Let me be upfront, this was my first hostel attempt and my expectations may not be the norm for this kind of lodges clientele. I toured a hostel in Sydney Australia years ago (but did not stay). It was modern building, brightly lit, large and very spacious common room, huge cafeteria for breakfast (you could buy breakfast as an outsider), super friendly staff.

That is not what I got at The Mitraa. The Mitraa photo on the website is the front porch well decorated and believe me that is no space beyond the edge of the photo. The lobby with two computers is small and very cramped. Six people in that room at once and that is all it can take.

The location:
It is in a great location. It is near Little India. You can walk right down the street to the Ferrar Park MRT station, NE8, in less than five minutes. It is on a street with small stores at the bottom and residences on the upper floors. The street was not well lit, which made me a little uncomfortable. But I will say you really don't feel any threats while in Singapore (the crime penalty is too harsh).

The Building:
The building is old and cramped it looks it from the outside all the way to the interior walls. There is a narrow staircase up to the rooms and I could not find signage to point to a fire exit, if there was an exit. That concerned me!

The Desk:
Check-in went relatively smoothly. I told the desk agent I was probably only going to stay one night, but he said he had to charge me for two. Now upfront, we are only talking about 22S$ per night. I accepted the terms, but didn't believe they aligned with the cancellation policy I read.
The night clerk was more personable and said he would call the airport shuttle for me at 2am in the morning for my early departure flight. He did do it!

The Room:
The word "room" pretty much described it. It was just four walls and 6 bunk beds. There was no decoration, no fresh paint, no pictures, nothing. Two Canadians joined me in the room, it was their first time too. You get a locker under the bed for your personal belongings and a key to that locker as well as the main door lock. It was not an electronic key.

There no windows to the room, which increased the feeling of being cramped and claustrophobia, at least for me. Also the AC is turned off whenever you leave the room. Without windows, when you returned to the room it was quite stuffy and it took awhile for the AC to cool it back down.

The Bed:

Well in this case, the beds. As indicated it with 6 bunk beds. The sheets were clean, good! However, the little blanket/bed spread was so thin that I could feel the air conditioner through it when I tried to sleep. Last of all the beds creaked loudly. So that if anyone of us, (me or the two from Montreal) moved it was loud enough to wake you up briefly. There were three others guests, but fortunately they were arriving as I was leaving, so I didn't have to deal with six people.

The Bathroom:
Was a one room type unit. The toilet and shower were not separated by a shower curtain or partition. You could step from one to the other in about three feet. Let me say that the bathroom was clean, but you had to use a wand to apply the shower water over yourself. This bathroom was on the same floor (3rd) as my room. There is one on the 2nd floor as well, I think.

I guess this review from me is more for the person who normally stays in a hotel, but wanted to try the hostel to save even more money, thinking that the only difference was multiple people in a room. My room was a mixed one, for their was a female in it.

With that said, this place may be considered great for backpackers because other reviews favor them highly. However, when I compared it to the one I saw in Sydney it doesn't come close. That was like a very modern hotel that just happen to have six very comfortable and modern looking beds in each room with a card key locking arrangement.

Would I stay at this one again. No! Would I try another hostel similar to the one in Sydney, yes!

My standards may be different than those of backpackers for my needs are more. So please take this review with a grain of salt, if you are a backpacker. Others have loved this place.

If you are a hotel type visitor, I would say look at each hostel first and try to get more photographs of all parts of it, then decide.

Below are two photographs that I took.
1. The bedroom. You are seeing four of the six bunk beds. One is behind me.
2. The bathroom. You are seeing the toilet. To the right on that same wall is the shower wand and floor drain. If you don't have your own towel, it will cost you 1 singapore dollar.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo