“Right Smack in the Middle”

and 1 more site!
Fernloft - City Hostel Singapore
Ranked #101 of 223 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
Cebu City, Philippines
“Right Smack in the Middle”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

The location of the hostel is good. A block down Jalan Besar will get you to Mustafa Center which has now expanded to I think 4 buildings in total. I'm not sure. 2 blocks down, there is the Sim Lim Square. Then the Farrer Park Subway station is just around the corner. Maybe a 10 minute walk will get you there. During nighttime, bars are everywhere. Though I really didn't dare get into one. As for the rooms. Well, what can you expect with budget accommodation. At least we've got someplace to rest after a whole day of walking around Singapore. Oh, and I can't get enough of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Not much but lucky me it one of my comfort food. We got a room good for 14 people and yet we didn't feel crowded at all.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SchiZ0
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

Travelled with spouse on our business trip. Chose Fernloft Chinatown from research on Tripadvisor. However they didn't have 4 weeks' availability so I only stayed there for 2 nights before moving to the Fernloft Little India branch.

Pluses:
-Location- 5 minutes walk to MRT station- safe to walk there at night.
-Scissor-cut curry restaurant 2 minutes from the hostel is always packed, delicious and super cheap!
-Air con in room
-Nice foyer with computers and internet
-Free wireless internet
-Basic toast and jam breakfast provided
-Free transfer from other fernloft hostels
-One of the cheaper hostel private rooms I could find
-Cost per use washing machine and dryer

Minuses:
-Basic room
-Tiny shared bathroom which is a toilet and shower combined so that the toilet seat is drenched if someone just had a shower beforehand
-VERY THIN WALLS!! This was my biggest complaint. I was in a private room on the top floor staying with my spouse for a business trip for a month. We both worked business hours from Mon-Fri and needed a good night's sleep. The room was fine when there were no, or quiet neighbours. However, we encountered two couples who would have extremely loud sex several times a night along with what sounded like giggly sex games involving running in and out of their rooms and slamming their door. We could literally hear EVERYTHING. This was true of your neighbours who snored! The walls are so thin you can hear people next door talking!
-Although this hostel was non-smoking, I frequently found cigarette buds in the basin in the bathroom and the hostel staff are not really helpful in trying to sort this out. Nor of other issues to be honest.

I would only recommend staying here for a short duration. And pray that you don't have loud neighbours.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank loosek
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2011

we stayed in the 18 bed dorm for $16 pppn so was the cheapest dorm we could find. on the website they state that they are in the centre of little india but they are not - fernloft is more north although its not a long walk to little india (5-10 minutes) and the nearest MRT Farrer park (5-10 min walk). The hostel it self is ok in that it is very clean and basic, the staff are ok but not very helpful or friendly. breakfast was just toast and tea/coffee and the laundry is $6.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2011

We stayed in the Fernloft Little India, which was ok, I disliked that there were no windows in the dorms and the aircon was frosting the room.
Staff was nice and helpful, breakfast was ok. It was not cheap (20$pp) but compared with other hostels still a good value.
We also stayed at the East Coast branch which is far off the city center but is very cosy and small and close to the beach.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
kl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

I booked online for a four room female dorm.The first night I was given key to a female dorm but the person in charge told me I have to be transferred to another dorm the next day.This is because I am suppose to book for one extra night even though I arrive the next day at one thirtyam and the beds were insufficient.So I said ok and was giventhe room key to my temporary dorm.I went to the bathroom to take my shower and gosh the toilet seat was cover with poop and somebody just push the cover down.I complained the next day.

I went to the counter the next day at around eleven twenty am but the manager was asleep,later after twenty minutes I went to the manager again and he said the system was down and told me to leave my bag with them so that they can carry my bag to another dorm for me.I said ok and went out to explore Singapore.

I came back in the evening but my bag was not transferred to another dorm as they have promised me.Later I found out I was downgraded to a mixed dorm,I was unhappy but the staff told me they could not do anything as they need to close the female dorms to fix the air-cond.The mixed dorm was very filty,an Indian guy was snoring on one of the upper bunk beds.The room had no ventilation and had one kind of smell.

I went down and told the staff I was really unhappy and wanted to change hostel and they told me they would forfeit one night of my stay and could only refund balance of one night instead of two nights.I was still unhappy but I said ok unwillingly.

After that I went out for dinner,when I went back to the hostel that night, I reiterated to the staff I wanted to change hostel and he called his manager for advice.After he hung up, he then gave me back my refund for two nights stay.This is one terrible experience I will never forget in Singapore as Singapore is known for cleanliness and honesty.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank safire88
Ferners, Manager at Fernloft - City Hostel Singapore, responded to this review, 11 November 2010
Dear Mdm
First we apologize for the unhappiness caused during your stay with us .
Due to unforeseen air conditional breakdown , we need to change your room type stay which we immediately notify and seek your permission. Should you not agree we would have seek your advise on the next option.
We do our housekeeping 2 times a day and also hope that guests can help us keep the hostel clean for every one.
As in communal living , guest's living style eg snoring ,body odor etc are out of our control but we too seek your understanding in this matter
Upon your request to refund , we too had fulfill your request after the front desk ask for approval.
It is still our responsibility to ensure everyone had a comfortable stay and we will react better should we encounter similar situation in the future