“Great hands on cultural experience!”
Review of Cookery Magic

Cookery Magic
More attraction details
Owner description: Come into Ruqxana's, The Food Sorceress, home kitchen! You’re invited to her home to learn how to cook popular Asian and Singaporean cuisine. From wannabe chefs to Cordon Bleu artistes, she has the class for you. The hands-on cooking class is followed by a sit-down meal and pleasant conversation. And sometimes the cat comes over to say hello, if he is in the mood!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 17 July 2012 via mobile

Throughly enjoyed my Malay cooking class where we made Laksa, chicken satay and peanut sauce. It is by no means fancy, tucked away in backyard in surburbia but it was memorable, enjoyable and great for anyone interested in food to get their hands dirty and get cooking! I would definitely recommend. Our class of 4 has a lovely 2.5 hours together cooking. Beware of the mosquitos and cats but personally I felt like this added charm to the adventure! A fun experience in Singapore and my food knowledge is richer for it.

2  Thank Heiners
"great class"
"small group"
"ice kacang"

Reviewed 4 July 2012

This was a surprise and delight to find. Ruxqana the cooking teacher is a lovely individual who has a passion for teaching, eagerly sharing her vast cooking skills and knowledge to the class.

The menu for the class changes so you have to pick a particular day to make the menu you wish. The kitchen is at the back of her personal residence where she has a make-shift kitchen with cooking stations for groups to roll up their sleeves and get cooking.

The menus are easy to follow and I successfully replicated this cooking challenge at home.

After cooking up a storm the rewards are reaped in tucking in to your meal around a dining table with your class. I will certainly be back!

1  Thank JB_Singers
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My husband and I had a delightful day on Pulau Ubin in the wonderful, entertaining company of Ruqxana and her team. Our Kampong House hostesses were gracious, warm, and welcoming. Everyone was so generous and enthusiastic in sharing their knowledge of the island, the variety of herbs and spices, and of course, great cooking tips. While the group was large in size, we felt it enhanced the spirit of camaraderie and team work. Preparing the food was fun and eating it most delicious and satisfying! A truly enjoyable experience!

1  Thank Brenda D
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I did the special cooking class in the traditional house of the Pulau Ubin Island. In terms of discovery, I would rate the day on a very good level, nice boat ride, Island walk and lots of things. But the group had 37 people and didn't offer the small circle I was expecting from this special school. The food we cooked was very nice and also partly specially connected to the herbs of the island, but cooking was really the minor part of the day and even if there were a lot of nice people, it was much too many to really connect. Ruqxana is a wonderfull lady and teacher and I am looking forward to do a more "classical" class with her next time, no question about this, but I will avoid the big groups.

4  Thank Katharina19
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 May 2012

i have been looking for a good chicken curry to make for the last few months
My self and my wife were on our way back from Europe and we always have a stopover in Singapore .i have been to a few Raquxanna classes before but this was one of the best experance i have had there We made fried rice and chicken curry and the way she explained
the history behind these dishes made the dishes that bit special. even though i went for the curry the fried was the best i have ever tasted and cant wait to try it at home. Raquxanna
always makes you feel welcome in here home and the experance is so differant you get from some other cooking classes Hope you enjoy as much as we did
gerry & gerardine from Perth Western Australia