“A banquet fit for a king or queen”

Shahi Maharani North Indian Restaurant
Ranked #313 of 12,628 Restaurants in Singapore
Price range: US$ 18 - US$ 44
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Core
Reviewed 6 December 2016

On a recent visit to Singapore this year, my colleague and I decided to eat at Maharani. I had eaten at this restaurant before (approximately 3 years ago) and as I enjoyed it the last time I recommended going here. I was hoping it wouldn’t let me down.

The Food:
I ordered a starter of papdi chaat and a main of kabuli chana and garlic naan. We also had popadoms but these were complimentary as too were the chutneys. My colleague ordered fried okra for starters and a vindaloo dish for mains. The starters were fantastic. The fried okra was crispy and light. The papdi chaat was creamy, tangy and flavourful. The small fried breads were crispy and the whole dish was very well balanced. The mains of kabuli chana and garlic naan were truly amazing. I requested the dish to be made spicier and the chef got it spot on. This is the only place in the world that I have eaten at, for which I can say beats my mother’s kabuli chana. I definitely was not disappointed with the food. The taste was amazing as it was three years ago. I am very fussy about my popadoms and restaurant popadoms are generally something that I avoid. These popadoms were not too bad as the chef had cooked them slightly over to give it some colour and a smoky flavour. My colleague mentioned that the vindaloo (with jeera rice) was very nice although a little bit on the spicier side.

Service:
The service was great. The waitress was very attentive and did not use a notepad to take our order which is always a nice touch. This place positions itself towards the top end of the restaurant market (generally I found Singapore an expensive place for food) and therefore was expecting the service to be excellent and I had no complaints.

Cleanliness:
The restaurant was very clean. There were no issues with hygiene.

Ambience:
The ambience was excellent. The restaurant has a welcoming feel to it with two large doors with wooden carvings and a statue of Ganesh in full view. The décor is feels like it is a banqueting suite of a palace in Rajasthan. The spacing of the tables gives an uncluttered feel and Rajasthani pictures and portraits on the wall give the restaurant its identity. The star of the show in terms of ambience, which I have left till last, is that there is live singing and music. The singers are also very good and they also take requests from the audience.

Price:
Restaurants in Singapore are expensive and there are no cheap eats definitely not at dinner time. My colleague and I paid a Queenly sum (the name of the restaurant translated into English is Royal Queen). The food and service were excellent was so the price felt justified from this perspective but make no mistake it is expensive. As the restaurant is attached to a shopping mall and two hotels (The Fairmont Singapore and the Swissotel), there will be a premium price.

Overall:
I am so glad and so relieved that this restaurant lived up to my expectations of three years ago and my recommendation to eat here did not let me down. This is a definitely a restaurant I would recommend if one wants to eat Indian cuisine in Singapore. If visiting again then I would definitely go again, the price is steep but so is elsewhere in Singapore for cuisine of this calibre. One thing is for certain I won’t be disappointed. A full five stars, for this visit and also my visit of 3 years ago.

1  Thank KP_SP_Review

Reviewed 6 December 2016

My friends & family had a great time celebrating an Occassion. Food was really finger licking & Most of theMusic was very Romantic! We Love this Place & are going again this Saturday .This time for our Anniversary. Perfect Combination.- Manu & Rina Chugani

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank mrcfmly
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

We booked the private room for our daughter's first year birthday. Food was excellent and service was very good. The waiter was also very friendly with our child who was getting bored of sitting in the high chair while the adults were eating. Chicken handi dish was not good and sheekh kebab a little dry but the other items were good-tandoori chicken, mutton vindaloo, yellow and maharani dhal, chicken and mutton briyani.

We always come back here for our events and catering and will continue to do so.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

Authentic Indian fare. The Papdi Chaat as entrée is really really good. Service was excellent and the bill quite in line with the level of service and standard of food.

Reviewed 25 October 2016 via mobile

Went there after a long time and was not disappointed although not the best.
There was weekday lunch buffet promotion for 50++ I believe and they had 1-1 meaning one of us ate free.
Appetisers were ok nothing out of ur world, veg Pakoras were good, tomato pepper soup ok and Tandoori chicken was Cold.. I mean really cold.
Chicken curry dish and dal was fine and they delivers fresh naan to your table.
Dessert selection was disappointing, the so called Kheer (Rice and Milk pudding) was neither chilled Nor hot and halwa was average.
They had coconut ladoos which was horrible.

Probably main course saved the day as they were delicious and fresh.