“No sandals”

Reserve a table
Ranked #242 of 13,653 Restaurants in Singapore
Price range: US$ 80 - US$ 120
Neighbourhood: Singapore River/Riverside
Description: Perched on the top two floors of a newly-restored heritage shophouse by the Singapore River, Braci is an exclusive and Italian hideaway in the heart of bustling Boat Quay, featuring a modern, casual-luxe 16-seater open-kitchen Italian restaurant and a chic 30-seater rooftop bar.
Reviewed 22 January 2021 via mobile

Got kicked out for wearing sandals. After being seated. And served. In Singapore, where it’s too hot to wear anything else. I would suggest this restaurant pull its head out of its ass.

Date of visit: January 2021
1  Thank 423graemeb
Write a reviewReviews (208)

Reviewed 2 January 2021 via mobile

Chef Mirko made me brave enough to actually explore raw fish on my birthday after refusing to try it for the last few decades. That's how much trust I have in him haha! As usual, massive efforts in the cuisine that created gastronomical wonders!
Thank you everyone at Braci for making my birthday a memorable one!

Date of visit: December 2020
2  Thank Melvachia
Reviewed 29 December 2020 via mobile

Had the set lunch. Wonderful food and service. Delicate flavours. Amazing petit fours as well. Great value Must visit again.

Date of visit: December 2020
2  Thank AK6
Reviewed 21 November 2020

Squeezing every dollar and cent out of the customer in bogus ways is the name of the game at Braci.

It all starts with the menu, where you only get to see the ingredients but not the actual courses you're going to be served. You can only point out if you're intolerant to something. Which can lead to absurdities such as dropping a pigeon and receiving an upgrade to wagyu beef like what the table next to us got. But you don't get to choose beef over pigeon as a choice between options like any normal restaurant would allow upfront.

This is probably designed so the chef can save on ingredients and only buy stock for what he is going to serve. For comparison, at Garibaldi which is the other 1-Michelin star Italian restaurant in Singapore, if you get the Michelin degustation menu, you still get to choose between a few starters, 2 o 3 first courses and 2 second course.

Braci is the only restaurant I've seen where you get to choose nothing. Anyway, the food starts to come and it's fusion italian. Most of the dishes are creative but somehow lack substance and generally tend to be designed around using cheap ingredients. The whole thing is priced quite ridiculously: 208 SGD for 7 courses.

I discussed with the chef about having pasta or a course of meat as my 4th and here the lack of transparency revealed once again as he changed version of facts at least three times throughout the evening: first saying I could not have a certain type of pasta, unless my other guest had it too, then later we agreed I'd get meat or fish and then he disregarded it and still forced the pasta into my menu. Despite the fact that at the beginning of the evening when I actually had asked for it he had told me he could not.

But the absolute gem is this. The restaurant is in a small shop, designed again to keep rental expense low and they only allow you to book at 6 or 8.30, no other times, so they ensure two turns with their limited table. Fine until here.

But they also have figured out a way to further beef up the revenue per customer through a borderline scam with their "white truffle".

They basically allow you to add truffle to any of the courses of the menu (the menu where you don't get to choose the items..). Now, for a starred chef who takes great care in supposedly mixing and matching different flavours and ingredients in each course, it's kind of strange that truffle instead can fit into ANY course...

But that's readily explained. Truffle is charged at the ABSURD rate of 18 SGD per gram. Unlike the Alba White Truffle that you'll find at Garibaldi, this one tastes ABSOLUTELY LIKE NOTHING, and from the looks it does not even look fresh as well.

In a professional restaurant such as Garibaldi or Otto e Mezzo in Hong Kong (very famous for truffle too), you generally find in the menu the amount of grams that go with the pasta. Here you don't. Chef advised that pasta generally commands 2.5 grams and fish or meat 2.

We agreed in principle to that amount, then he said he'd shave till I say "stop". He brought the truffle with the fish (he did not pay attention to the fact I wanted it with meat) and he started shaving it so fast that by the time I could open my lips and utter the S of S...TOP he had already managed to shave north of 7 grams.

You'd think someone professional with your best interest at heart would shave a little, maybe scale and ask again to top up. No: he'll just go off the gate faster than Hamilton at the start of the Grand Prix to shave his way into your wallet.

So let me summarise. For the privilege of eating an ABSOLUTELY TASTELESS TRUFFLE shaved on a raw fish which was a COMPLETE MISMATCH for truffle, I paid 150 SGD!

To put this in perspective, 150 SGD was roughly the price of Garibaldi's Michelin menu alone, which included an appetiser with truffle, a great pasta with white Alba truffle (one that REALLY TASTED!) and a great venison which beat single handedly any course at Braci, plus dessert.

I found this absolutely outrageous.

Other dishes were hit or miss, desserts were honestly good but when one of the main courses was a SINGLE SHRIMP... I found it laughable. Yes sure, a shrimp revisited in a fusion way with some interesting twists, but still a shrimp. Dressed as a main course.

And when you pay 208 SGD for the 7 course menu and the dishes are designed to save on costs, I find it ridiculous.

I strongly recommend that if you want to have the kind of degustation menu experience according to chef's choice, you go to Flutes where at least you see upfront what you're going to eat and there is some substance on the plate (you may get to eat Kangaroo, Venison and Pig in the same 7 course menu, while at Braci you'll get a single meat out of 7 and some nonsense shrimp or cheap veggies or pasta revisited).

If you want a real Italian fine dining, then go to Garibaldi and don't waste your time here. Garibaldi will cost you less than the price of Braci's no taste truffle alone and will be a way better experience.

Date of visit: November 2020
3  Thank yellowtail84
theillidogroup, Marketing at Braci, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2020

Thank you for your feedback, yellowtail84.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy Braci.

Braci has always been well-loved and appreciated for the customised dining experience we offer to every table; the menu is always different as we tailor the menu to every table by speaking with them personally, understanding their needs and preferences and offering them choices and recommendations at the table, and it was with the same level of attention we had served you that evening as well. It is hence with our deepest regrets to learn of your feedback.

Thank you for dining with us.

Reviewed 21 November 2020

One of the best set lunches around in Singapore in my opinion. Great value for food and service of this quality.

Date of visit: November 2020
Review collected in partnership with www.chope.co
4  Thank GimmeAFoodJob