“Affordable and Decent Aburi Sushi”

Rakuichi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #2,480 of 12,362 Restaurants in Singapore
Price range: US$ 50 - US$ 150
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 January 2016 via mobile

I love coming here because it's so convenient. You can always find parking right outside in the Dempsey Hill area.

The place is decent though uninspiring. And the air-conditioning is sometimes a bit warm, but overall it's just... Decent.

It's affordable, service is pleasant and the cooking very reliable. It's not mind blowing which is why it gets only 4/5 in my rating but don't let that deter you. The aburi sets here are always good and well priced, so aburi lovers can eat to their heart's content and not have to worry about the consequences to their wallets.

Reviewed 18 October 2015 via mobile

Heard so much about Rakuichi from the media and friends. Went with my boyfriend today and we ordered a mini course and Rakuichi Bentou set. The chawamushi was too bland. Sushi was average. Only after we paid then realized that the 'free' appetizer was also part of the total bill. Overall experience was a pretty disappointing one.Though service was good, we won't head back again

Reviewed 16 August 2015

Most amazing Japanese food I've had for ages. Its so fresh and tasty. We had Toku Sashimi ( Assorted freah sashimi), Wagyu feef teriyaki. We were brought there by friends who reside there. Super lunch

Reviewed 25 July 2015

After reading a few reviews here, we went to Rakuichi expecting yummy japanese food. It was I think my most disappointing culinary experience in Singapore!
I called earlier in the day to make a reservation and was told that they were fully booked. We decided to try a walk in. We got there and they seated us immediately. I expected "nice" restaurant considering the area its in...

The dining room is small, very brightly lit - not inviting at all.
We ordered
Miso Soup, which was the best part of the meal!
Tuna and Salmon Sashimi - the tuna was inedible, (I took one bite and had to leave it) the Salmon was ok - it was thick slices of average grade salmon.
Hamachi Salad - was pretty ok
Oyster and vegetable in Miso broth - most unappetizing looking dish I have ever seen - terrible, inedible.
Tai Carpaccio - sliced snapper with truffle. How can anyone go wrong with truffles, but the chefs at this restaurant managed very well to ruin this too.

The service was crazy - they brought all the food together 10 minutes after we ordered it. I am not kidding we got there at 9:15 and ate, paid the check and were in our car at 9:55.

Total ripoff!

1  Thank mrana321
Reviewed 29 June 2015

I never come out of Rakuichi disappointed. The food looks good and tastes good - those sushi pieces seared were my favorite anytime. The dining room is small but the table is comfortably big for a family of 4. Located at Dempsey, I love it for its bucolic feel and ample parking place that is also free ( rare near downtown Singapore ). It is also a short ride from Orchard Road.

Service is prompt but we do not feel hurried. When the 3 of us wanted to order 3 bento sets and a sashimi set, we were advised to cut back one set because it was too much for us, which was thoughtful. We ended up sated and not horribly full.

For the huge spread, the bill came up to SGD$220. Since I paid with UOB Visa, I was given a $20 voucher to be used for the next visit ( weekdays ). Just as well ! After the happy meal, I look forward to the next one very soon.