“Great Atmosphere”

Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 50
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Tanglin
Description: The brand name RedDot traces my first encounter with beer brewing in South Africa. It all happened in 1997 when I was on a safari holiday at Kruger National Park.One afternoon, I passed two South African soldiers who were chatting away beside a military truck, which was parked a short distance from the stockade where I was staying. At that time, the thought of joining these two soldiers sitting in the open safari with lions, impalas and elephants roaming in the background really thrilled me. That would be the highlight of my South African holiday. Driven by this curiosity, I drove out of the stockade to find these two soldiers in order to enjoy this unusual freedom.The soldiers were also happy to meet a visitor from Singapore. They offered me an unlabelled bottled beer. Having a cold beer in the sweltering heat in the middle of nowhere was just great. I asked them for the brand and they said it was home-brewed. That was the first time I heard of home-brew. The South African soldiers assured me that it was easy to brew and directed me to buy the ingredients from a homebrew shop in Johannesburg.At one of the homebrew shops, I was asked whether I wanted to brew an Ale or a Lager. At that time, not knowing enough about beers, I was puzzled. The ingredients were packed and marked with either one red dot or with no marking at all. I chose the packet with one red dot. That began my journey into brewing. As such, when I decided to set up a microbrewery, RedDot becomes a natural choice of a name.Subsequent years saw me spending much time researching and building brewing equipment on my own in order to experiment and to create different types of beer. Finally, I decided to validate my brewing knowledge in the States. The course gave me the confidence that I was ready.RedDot BrewHouse at Dempsey is a passion that took almost a decade to materialize. Housing a brewery in a historical building that was rich in military history and set in lush tranquility was simply irresistible. An old dilapidated barrack was restored to what you see today with some of the original bricks that were 100 odd years old. Two and a half years later in 2010, we found another beautiful historical building at Boat Quay, south bank of the Singapore River mouth, a river that was the source of entrepot trade and life in early Singapore. The second RedDot BrewHouse now offers our signature beers from a row of old Chinese shop houses which is rich in commercial history of our early Chinese settlers.Beers, an age old historical beverage, to be enjoyed in age old historical buildings like Dempsey’s Tanglin Barracks (1860) and Boat Quay’s old commercial Chinese shop houses (1826). RedDot Beers, housed in rich history, rich in taste. Cheers!
Reviewed 30 August 2017

Didn’t know about Dempsey Hill, what a great place. Had dinner at the bar because it was so full on a Friday night. Food was very good and the beer was different. Some rather interesting flavours. Didn’t try the Green beer, maybe next time I will. I know I will come back and explore the beer menu and Dempsey Hill. Only down side was getting a taxi home, yeah it was Friday night in Singapore just have to expect that.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

Nice food and good ambience. The parking is just outside, they have outdoor seating which is very nice with trees around. The food go for Chicken Fagra, super spicy, also try the green Spirulina beer!

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Loved the beer, great food and service. I would stay away from lunch time over the weekend when the restaurant was full of families and kids. Nothing wrong with that, by the way it's a great setup for kids parties, but somehow running kids and beer don't mix. I would suggest Friday night , for example, as a much better time to visit
Lots of parking available right in front.
Will definitely return

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

The place is convenient for get-togethers with friends as it is quite central and has ample free parking lots. The ambiance is quite relaxing, the staff generally attentive and polite, and the menu has a decent selection of beer to choose from. The price is quite reasonable as well. For a group of 8 people on a Friday night, we averaged about S$42/pax for food and drinks.

Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

Held an outing with colleagues from work. The outdoor area was a great place for socializing with a few drinks and appetizers. Nice relaxed atmosphere as well.