“Great beer and wings!”

Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 50
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Tanglin
Description: The brand name RedDot traces my first encounter with beer brewing in South Africa. It all happened in 1997 when I was on a safari holiday at Kruger National Park.One afternoon, I passed two South African soldiers who were chatting away beside a military truck, which was parked a short distance from the stockade where I was staying. At that time, the thought of joining these two soldiers sitting in the open safari with lions, impalas and elephants roaming in the background really thrilled me. That would be the highlight of my South African holiday. Driven by this curiosity, I drove out of the stockade to find these two soldiers in order to enjoy this unusual freedom.The soldiers were also happy to meet a visitor from Singapore. They offered me an unlabelled bottled beer. Having a cold beer in the sweltering heat in the middle of nowhere was just great. I asked them for the brand and they said it was home-brewed. That was the first time I heard of home-brew. The South African soldiers assured me that it was easy to brew and directed me to buy the ingredients from a homebrew shop in Johannesburg.At one of the homebrew shops, I was asked whether I wanted to brew an Ale or a Lager. At that time, not knowing enough about beers, I was puzzled. The ingredients were packed and marked with either one red dot or with no marking at all. I chose the packet with one red dot. That began my journey into brewing. As such, when I decided to set up a microbrewery, RedDot becomes a natural choice of a name.Subsequent years saw me spending much time researching and building brewing equipment on my own in order to experiment and to create different types of beer. Finally, I decided to validate my brewing knowledge in the States. The course gave me the confidence that I was ready.RedDot BrewHouse at Dempsey is a passion that took almost a decade to materialize. Housing a brewery in a historical building that was rich in military history and set in lush tranquility was simply irresistible. An old dilapidated barrack was restored to what you see today with some of the original bricks that were 100 odd years old. Two and a half years later in 2010, we found another beautiful historical building at Boat Quay, south bank of the Singapore River mouth, a river that was the source of entrepot trade and life in early Singapore. The second RedDot BrewHouse now offers our signature beers from a row of old Chinese shop houses which is rich in commercial history of our early Chinese settlers.Beers, an age old historical beverage, to be enjoyed in age old historical buildings like Dempsey’s Tanglin Barracks (1860) and Boat Quay’s old commercial Chinese shop houses (1826). RedDot Beers, housed in rich history, rich in taste. Cheers!
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

Great beer and chicken wings! Tried the Summer Ale beer and taste was very smooth! The outdoor seating is quite dark. Be careful if you are driving, police road blocks seems to be common at Demsey even on weekday nights, preferably not to drive if you plan to drink. They serve steak, burgers, pasta, etc. Green beer seems to be popular. Free parking right outside the restaurant. Service staff are friendly.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

I used to come here all the time, mainly for the beer. I stopped drinking in 2013 and so had no reason to go to a microbrewery. Took the family here for Easter brunch after church and we took a hightop table. Water was self service from the 'brunch table' but there were no glasses, no fruits as in the past and no cups for coffee and tea. I asked for some and in about 10 minutes they came with cups, glasses and refilled the coffee and ice tea. I asked for more bread and the waitress took the breadbasket... and did not return. We ordered 2 breakfasts and 2 burgers and fries. I asked again for bread as our kids were famished. Asked again and the bread came 10 minutes later. Almost 45 minutes and just 2 burgers show up. My bride and son split their burgers which was more than each would normally eat and we waited, and waited for the breakfasts. Having finished off the burgers, I told a waitress to cancel my breakfast as I didn't NEED it now and was a bit upset. Our daughter still wanted hers and so we waited. So many waiters taking one-dish-at-a time from the kitchen. Then when you want their attention, they pay NO attention. Almost an hour later, the TWO breakfasts come. I told the waiter I cancelled mine and he put our daughter's breakfast in front of her. Her egg was almost raw! It was their version of eggs benedict. She couldn't eat it so we sent it back. 5 minutes later she had an eatable egg dish. Maybe it was more of a fun place to eat when I was drinking beer? Not now. One other problem, they had a family folk band playing kids songs which was a nice touch for parents with small kids.., except the speaker next to us was just TOO LOUD. We were so happy when they STOPPED. The place was only half filled so it wasn't like a major crush they were fighting. Just poor staff management. Not going back.

RedDot_Brewhouse, Manager at RedDot BrewHouse Dempsey, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2017

Dear sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for dining at RedDot BrewHouse. I am sorry to hear of your unpleasant dining experience at RedDot Dempsey . I wish to thank you for your feedback. Your effort is very much appreciated.

In view of your feedback, I have personally spoken to our service manager and head chef on the delay in food serving and lapses in the service delivery. We will definitely take immediate actions to improve the overall service delivery procedure.

Thank you once again. Have a nice weekend.

Regards,
Ks
RedDot BrewHouse
Operations Manager

Reviewed 28 February 2017

I was in Singapore for business and one of my vendors suggested we go to RedDot. It is located in the former British military base on Dempsey - it is a converted colonial style small one story building (many restaurants have moved into these buildings). I has a great atmosphere being mostly outside, and is surrounded by good foliage to provide some privacy. They offer a tasting flight of beer which is a great way to try all of their local brews. I settled on their "green" beer - not a St. Patricks day dye job but real green beer - very refreshing and unique. The surprise came with the food. The hot wings use szechuan peppercorns making for a very different flavour. The real treat is the chili crab pizza - never would have thought this would work but is does. All in all a great place for casual dining and eating - I will definitely go back again.

Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

Make the atmosphere great again! ;) The outdoor seating is nice BUT using Ikea foldable and uncomfy plastic chairs isn't what we liked. The terrible chinese live singer neither.
Some beers were sold, service slow. Steaks were ok and fairly priced.

There are nicer and more welcoming places.

Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

Not your usual hangout, this brew house at Dempsey Road has some loyal clientele, probably due to its unique points. For one, it is set up in a colonial house built in the last century.
The brick stairway leading to the restaurant adds so much flavor to the ambience. Soft lighting and ample table layout is truly relaxing. If not for the crowd noise coming from drinking friends, this can be a romantic setting for a nice dinner date.

On another note, RedDot provides a really good list of beer and food that customers can enjoy while listening to a live band. What's unique is that RedDot provides different types of beer brewed right inside their facility. Fresh, cold beer on tap! And served on table top 3-litre dispensers. Flavours aplenty, I was able to sense a hint of peach on our second order.

For food, I can recommend what I've tried so far - truffle fries, spicy chicken wings, crispy fish skin (nice crisp and spicy flavor), satay combination (pork, chicken and beef barbecue), margherita pizza and crispy pork belly. The spicy baby squid wasn't bad too.

You may want to reserve in advance, as it can get packed especially on Friday nights.

Will be back for sure. Perhaps to try their green beer.