“So much potential, but terribly disappointed.”
Review of Capella Singapore

Capella Singapore
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We are a singaporean couple with a habit of doing the regular staycation. To date, we have stayed in most of the hotels in Sentosa as the island truly provides a escape and getaway from the maddening city life.
All the beautiful pictures and reviews (not to mention the high pricing) had set us up with truly high expectations for our anniversary getaway.
Unfortunately, we checked out feeling that we had better experiences on the island. The staff we met were really friendly--sincere in helping but unfortunately that's not enough when the basics are not in place.
First, we visit Capella for a relaxing getaway. Within the first hour of entering the garden villa, my wife answered the doorbell 4 times- once because we were given wrong keys to the room (ok, understand mistakes happen), 2nd time we took longer to get to door as was changing to swimwear--whoever was there had already left. 3rd time, someone came to fix light bulb that housekeeping had informed them abt( ok...but now?). 4th time, someone came to clean the plunge pool (shouldn't this have been done b4 we checked in)?
Finally the straw that broke the camel's back was the lack of privacy in our garden villa. We were changing to laze on our private deck and plunge pool when one of the landscaping staff climbed through the foliage into our deck to water the plants!! Thank goodness THE DAY BLINDS WERE LOWERED! We were stunned in mid undress. If it wasn't so surreal, it would have been hilarious...not what you would expect from any hotel much less a 6-star. On further inspection of the foliage, they offered scant protection from prying eyes outside.
Next disappointment was the outdoor bathtub. The water pressure was abysmal and the water temperature was at best lukewarm. We gave up on the tub after sitting for 20 minutes amidst the trickling. Felt a bit silly...

The afternoon we were there, the landscape maintenance staff were busy at their work all day with motorized grass cutters. Not the most conducive to creating a peaceful, serene atmosphere.

Next day, we went to the pool next to the restaurant and ordered a smoothie and summer cooler. When the drinks came after almost 30 minutes, we asked the staff which drink was the cooler and the smoothie. Guess what he replied, apologetically ?
"Sorry, I'm not very sure, they just passed me the drinks." To his credit he did try to help and guessed the drinks correctly.

Some positives we liked. The room was spacious, with lovely piped music and the bar was a pleasure to use. Very comfortable daybed to laze in and we particularly loved the touchscreen aircon, lighting and curtain controls. Front of house staff were so friendly that it was hard telling them that no, the stay wasn't as great as we would have liked. Overall, we sum up our experience as akin to having wonderful icing on the cake only to bite into a poor tasting one. Finding it hard to justify returning especially when there really are better options on the island.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Howeyang
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback, and for being our guest. I would also like to wish you a belated happy anniversary, and apologize for not meeting your expectations, especially on such a memorable occasion. I promise you that we are thoroughly investigating the series of incidents highlighted and are taking measures to improve our service processes to ensure that such mistakes will not happen again. We have a very strict policy that guests are not to be disturbed unless it is a dire emergency or requested specifically by the guest. This applies to all support staff including housekeeping, maintenance, and landscaping. The rooms and surrounding areas including the plunge pool and plants cannot be accessed when the room is occupied. This is a very strictly enforced mandate.

We are happy that you persevered to provide a list of positives including all the amenities of the room. There is a whole list of special features that make our rooms truly unique including being the most spacious and most luxurious.

We hope you decide to give us another chance because we guarantee the next time you visit the cake will be even better than the icing.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

998 - 1,002 of 1,415 reviews

Reviewed 29 June 2012

My husband and I booked the romance package as part of our 15 year wedding anniversary celebration. It was an opportunity for us to leave kids at home and reconnect. The anxiety of leaving them and travelling from Australia quickly dissipated when we arrived at Capella just 25 mins from airport by taxi. The buildings and surrounds are exquisite.

The personal assistants and library are a stroke of genius. Just to be able to have a wonderful pot of tea and read in that beautiful room was enough, the wonderful afternoon tea that went with it made it perfect. The pa's gave advice about dining options nearby and even arranged bookings etc.

Cocktails in bobs bar were first class and dinner at cassia was super special. I had to pinch myself though when it came to the romantic dinner by the reflection pool. We had an amazing evening, a beautiful sunset, great food and the staff at the knolls were excellent. Needless to say all staff we encountered during our stay were professional and courteous. It was all over too quick and I am already planning a return trip. Fingers crossed.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

We are happy to learn that you have a great stay with us. Our service professionals truly appreciate your generous comments about their services. We look forward to your return to stay with us.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

The Capella has so much promise, but it just doesn't live up to it. The hotel itself is beautiful and the rooms are lovely, but the overall experience, namely the service, is seriously underwhelming. For the price (SG$400+), I was expecting top-notch service and the quiet sophistication that is usually afforded high-end luxury hotels. Instead I got serenaded by a Filipino band by day AND by night! It was not relaxing and not at all what I was expecting. The service: There are two large pools at the Capella, but they are woefully understaffed by a team of two lacking in basic English. I've stayed at hotels like the Shangri-La and the Grand Hyatt where they have a staff that falls all over you to make you comfortable while at the pool, but this was not the case at the Capella. Expect to chase to get your bottle of water or your towel! When I ordered a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from in-room dining, I was told that the hotel was completely out of Sauvignon Blanc. Really? That's like not having Coke...and, as a former Singapore resident, I know that there's a supermarket just over the bridge. Later a food & beverage manager offered to provide a complimentary bottle next time I ordered, but that never materialized. Later, when I ordered an in-room breakfast, I was told that they didn't have my requested cereal as listed on the menu. I chose an alternate, but when the breakfast arrived there was no accompanying fruit as promised on the menu. Perhaps the most disappointing things was when I checked out of the hotel and not one person asked me how my stay was....

Room Tip: Beware noise from the public beach below -- you'll hear it in your rooms, especially the Sunday...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank prestonHongKong
Management response:Responded 23 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback from your stay. I was truly unhappy to hear that you did not have a good experience, and was even more disappointed that we did not behave as proper hosts when you checked-out. I know this may seem a little too short, and a little too late, but what you experienced at the pool was a temporary period for Capella as we were in a transition phrase for our pool management and staff. I will guarantee, the next time you want to relax at the pool, our staff will also fall over you trying to make you feel comfortable, and provide all the amenities expected at a luxury hotel including an unending supply of chilled Sauvignon Blanc served to you by a staff well versed in English. With regards to the Filipino band, it is actually a popular Singaporean group called Veda 9. They offer a very wide selection of music gentries including jazz, rock, and classical guitar and enjoy the challenge of taking a wide assortment of requests. Music is such a personal expression that it can never reach everyone in the same way. I can understand how a popular brand of cereal can run short on a busy weekend, but I can never condone overlooking the accompanying fruit. Our food and beverage manager will take the necessary corrective actions to prevent any further degradation that will most certainly tarnish our reputation for providing the best service in the industry. I sincerely hope that you will give us a second change, so we can convince you that it doesn’t get any better than Capella.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

We booked the Capella for a weekend mini-break and what an amazing experience it was! From the moment we arrived at the beautiful colonial style hotel not too dissimilar to that of Raffles, Singapore or the Sofitel Metropole, Hanoi, the front desk took our bags immediately, seated us and handed out refreshments whilst we were checked in. We had a free upgrade (with our credit card) and were shown to our suite. Our room had every considerations taken into account from the beautiful views over the sea, a fully stocked Nespresso machine for coffee, non-chargeable drinks in the fridge and a wide array of toiletries.
The decor was very tasteful in hues of brown and burnished sunset orange throughout...One of the most impressive was the high-tech systems for blinds, lighting etc, all at the touch of a button. The Sony swing-style TVs were an added bonus to have one in the bedroom and one in the lounge.
The breakfast buffet was delicious and freshly made bread, pastries, chef on hand to make fresh omelettes etc was fantastic. Every diet is catered for here.
The famous brunch did not disappoint with a live band and fabulous array of local and international cuisine.
The infinity pools were breathtaking and a haven of relaxtion for couples and young families....it is so serene and welcoming for all.
We took afternoon tea in the library which is free between 3-5pm and this is a wonderful way to relax with the newspapers over sandwiches, pastries, tea, coffee and fresh exotic fruit.
We then took a buggy down to the beach and relaxed there some more.
If you are based in Asia, or anywhere in the world and are visiting Singapore, do take a trip to the Capella, Sentosa - you will absolutely love it!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 23 June 2012

Thank you very much for posting a great review on Capella. Our staff are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you and your family during your next visit.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I planned a surprise birthday bash for my partner in April 2012 and decided to book Capella because of the amazing reviews. I was not disappointed. The location was great as it was secluded and they had buggies to bring you to your villa!

We had a group of about 6 over and had a great time here. Everything was clean, the pool was clean, the toilet was jaw-dropping with 2 mirrors and 2 showers ; 1 outdoor and 1 indoor. Bed was great too. The manager even wrote a letter to wish us a good stay and happy birthday to my partner. Service was ridiculously fantastic as well. It takes them approximately 2 minutes to arrive at our doorstep with room service. We know this because we were annoying (sorry Capella folks) and kept wanting to get more ice / blankets / cups.

Another thing to note is their lobby. Their provide free refreshments and even have a library upstairs where you can help yourself to any book / dvd / cookie. The cookies are great. :D

Already planning another stay here soon!

Room Tip: I stayed at the Villa, it was quiet and freaking amazing with a lot of space. I'd recommend that...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 23 June 2012

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you are already planning a return trip. Birthdays are always fun and help write the storybook of our lives. We are grateful that Capella will be a part of a good memory that will always put a smile on your face. Please wish your partner a belated happy birthday. We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sentosa Island
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#40 of 317 in Singapore

Been to Capella Singapore? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK