“Our worst 5-star hotel dinner of all time”

Rima at Shangri-La Boracay
Ranked #23 of 334 Restaurants in Boracay
Cuisines: International
Good for: View details, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Rima Mediterranean Treetop Dining is an elegant tree house restaurant offering Mediterranean cuisine in an intimate location amidst the green in the resort's hilltops. It has been named one of the Philippines' Best Restaurants by the Philippine Tatler for years. Dress code: Resort chic, no flip flops.
Reviewed 13 September 2019

The setting was beautiful but the dinner celebrating our dad's 92nd birthday turned out to be such a complete letdown. First off, we were asked to pre-order (which was quite expected since we were a party of 20 adults and 2 toddlers), which we've done successfully in other venues like Mireio in Raffles, Lung Hin in Marco Polo, Wildflour and even Kasbah in Boracay for lunch that same day. Unlike in those places, I had to pay for the TOTAL bill, not just a deposit, for them to confirm our reservation.
Upon confirmation of our orders, some were missing. For instance, the pork iberico, instead of 3 became 2 and the duck, instead of 3 orders, also became 2. It was all cleared up after a while but that was just one of many problems. To be fair, the seafood orders (grouper, prawns, snapper, arroz de marisco) were good. But the items like the duck, lamb and pork were generally dry/tough and not the kind of quality you'd expect from a Shangrila. But the orders that they missed the first time, the pork and the duck, which took much longer to be served, turned out much better. The chef in our group could easily tell that the earlier orders were prepared way in advance and were just re-heated upon serving, which totally accounted for the sad, sorry state they were in by the time they got to us.
I must make special mention of the chicken & foie gras pot-au-feu, which I thought would be a pot of cooked-for-hours goodness worthy of a famed French dish. Sadly, that remained only in my dreams as I stared in disbelief at a small cast iron pot of something resembling chicken tinola (but tasted more like nilagang manok) with a small slab of foie gras together with the 3 pieces of chicken. It wasn't even chicken soup for the soul but more like chicken soup for the sick, convalescing hospital patient.
They did give us complementary amuse bouche, which were supposed to be crispy but we found to be chewy instead. But we're not complaining since it was given for free.
To be fair, the desserts we ordered, the chocolate bliss, tropezienne and rum baba, were very nice. And the chef who asked how are dinner was and faced our complaints sent one more complementary rum baba. The dining room staff did their best and sang a hearty happy birthday to our dad. Still, all things considered, especially how costly it was, this is one place we're most definitely NOT going back to. And I'll never be as trusting and as confident of the quality and service I had come to expect naturally from a Shangrila hotel dining outlet ever again.

Date of visit: September 2019
4  Thank beegee_10
Write a reviewReviews (314)

Reviewed 15 August 2019 via mobile

RIMA Shangri La Boracay: “ I have been to Boracay few times and every time ( except once, read below)stayed in Shangri La which is an absolute delight, hotel has huge parcel of land that starts from hills all the way to the perfectly cared for beaches. Beautiful lobby building design and villas ( where I always stay) are amazing. Next to villa 21 there is a hands down the best restaurant , not only in Shangri La , but in the whole island. Italian chef named the restaurant after his grandma and the menu pays homage to her, good pastas , risottos and very nice fish and meat selections . The setting is magical , individual villa building with a wonderful terrace solely dedicated to Rima restaurant and a very cute but a bit too small for my liking bar. Service is perfection, table setting is very romantic with a very smart lighting indoors and outdoors. Very good choices of appetizers and mains which is a very tall order in Boracay island. If you never been to Boracay but considering a tropical paradise vacation- please think twice, if you are on a tight budget do not go to Boracay, go elsewhere! Trivago five star ratings for all hotels (except Shangri La ) are very misleading, I stayed once as I mentioned at the beginning in Seven Stones hotel ( nightmare!), advertised as a five stars but personally I would give it only two - one for being poorly run and built and another for being on the beach. Boracay outside Shangri La premises resembles more like a tropical mess , logistical mess and for people who like their food a complete Disaster. But let’s go back to Rima...menu is well priced and wine/champagne list was even better priced, for instance Dom Perignon in Rima was half price(!) than in Manila Shangri La restaurants. In any case if by some luck or accident you end up in Boracay and you are looking for a fantastic dinner experience with your family and friends or alone for a nice tomahawk steak with a bottle of good burgundy then Rima is the place for you. Enjoy.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank ratatoullie50
Reviewed 22 July 2019

We had a lovely meal here on our first night staying in the hotel - the restaurant catered to everything we wanted, splitting meals and changing up dishes - we would definitely recommend having a meal here and going early enough to enjoy the view!

Date of visit: July 2019
2  Thank Newyearnewcountry
Reviewed 16 June 2019 via mobile

Even if you’re not staying at the Shangri-La I’d make a trip for this restaurant. The Parmesan ravioli was some of the best ravioli I’ve ever had. Service was beyond excellent - when my friend who is allergic to yeast could not enjoy the bread given to us before our starters the chef whisked up a quick naan style bread for her to enjoy. The food is spectacular - I recommend the pumpkin soup as well for a starter.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed 11 June 2019

The best restaurant at Shangri La Boracay. The location on the top of the hill is amazing. The waitresses are beautiful and very careful and well mannered about anything. Left them a fat tip.
As for the food, you will pay higher prices than anywhere else in Boracay, but you will at least not remain disappointed and will appreciate that the whole experience was well worth the price.

Go dressed nicely as this place has a dress code and feel good about yourself.

Date of visit: June 2019