“Shabby rooms, great staff”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta
Ranked #135 of 471 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 23 February 2012

It is a shame that the senior management/owners of this hotel can't be bothered to ensure that the rooms up to international standard. I am not talking about money but about the right attitude - and management & supervision to ensure that the workmanship is what it should be. There is no excuse for mediocrity, - after all this is a member of an international hotel chain. The previous reviewer expressed it well.

The saving grace of this hotel are the staff and the F & B outlets. Every staff member I met was professional, friendly ..just great. A particular big thank you to Ms Gita at the Front Desk for her arranging emergency dental treatment !

Room Tip: If you have more than just a mobile phone to charge, be warned that there are simply not enough wall...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manger at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear MichaelPohl.

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable, Clean and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we did not meet your expectations this time. I also thank you for your kind words about our staff. i sincerely hope you choose to stay with us again.

^Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is the second time I have stayed in this hotel. Both times have been problematic and although the GM is quick to make contact and discuss the problems and refund my money, nothing seems to improve here.

I booked and a club room as I thought it was worth the extra money but the room I stayed in was not on the club floor and was much smaller than the rooms on the club floor. The room was in very poor condition and was not Crowne Plaza standard that I was expecting. The bedding was stained there was dirt in the corners, rust marks in the toilet and worn and torn wallpaper throughout the room. Look at my photos and judge for yourself.

Also the staff on the club floor were not very helpful but sat on the carpet behind the desk texting on their phones.

I must stress that the GM has made contact with me and has made a full refund of my payment. I just want to be able to stay at a Crowne Plaza and know I am getting a consistent standard of accommodation and service that does not seem to happen here.

Room Tip: Contact the GM to ensure your room is properly checked before you arrive and don't have high exp...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ddexter
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Crowne Plaza is located at Semanggi - an intersection of two very busy roads that seems to be permanently mired in traffic chaos. If it were not for this annoyance, the location would have been very good; there is a mall - Plaza Semanggi - within walking distance and connectivity to most points in the city is reasonable by Jakarta standards.

What set my stay apart, though, was the speed and quality of complaint resolution. I had an issue during check-in that was responded to effectively and courteously, with no effort to make excuses or cover up. Not many hotels are that transparent or prompt in grievance handling!

As this was a busy trip, I did not have much opportunity to experience the restaurants within the hotel. But the breakfast buffet was elaborate and service impeccable. The local cuisine I ordered in room service was authentic in appearance and aroma, delicious in taste and substantial in quantity.

If they could only renovate the ageing floors and walls a bit and provide a helicopter service to beat the city traffic, it would be perfect.

I'd certainly go back there again.

Room Tip: Pick a room higher up and on the rear side - that way, the never-ending stream of traffic down below...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel over the weekend. Staff was extremely helpful. The hotel itself was located in a good location if you discount the heavy traffic that constantly seems to be in the way of getting to and from the hotel (but where is there no traffic in Jakarta?). Plaza Semanggi is about a 5 minute walk away and it has great option for food and a huge supermarket for supplies. If there is one thing, it would be the internet connection / wifi at the hotel. Internet was charged and only broadband in the rooms, no wifi. So, when I wanted to use my iPhone for messaging, I had to go to the lobby or the lounge area. Even then, it was extremely difficult and cumbersome to log on. Sometimes the page wouldn't load, other times it would say I did not have the right user name / password. I didn't know how I got onto wifi eventually when I did, but it was a little annoying and too troublesome.

Room Tip: Club Floor room entirely smoking free; otherwise it wouldn't be guaranteed. Considering the bre...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Good location at Semanggi junction, somewhat tired property in need of renovation. Arrived one evening after a very long day (full day in Jakarta plus travel from a regional country early that morning) to be told that despite my confirmed booking, due to a reservation systems glitch they could not honour my booking and would transfer me to another (local chain) hotel. Apparently several dozen guests were affected.

Despite my mobile number and email being in the booking, no attempt had been made to inform me of this during the whole day I had been in Jakarta. I refused to accept the offer of transfer as it was to a property that I am not personally familiar with (some hotels in Jakarta, even one or two prestigious ones, do not meet international safety standards for fire, gas leaks, etc), and after about 45 minutes of discussion with the duty manager, was given an upgrade to a very nice suite. Although the problem of my booking was eventually resolved to my satisfaction, it did involve a lot of hassle that could have been avoided if the hotel staff had bothered to inform me in advance of the problem with my booking.

This type of hassle is avoidable in Jakarta as there are a number of well-managed hotels with experienced staff.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business