“Great location & service”

Grand Hyatt Jakarta
Ranked #27 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My 3 children and I stayed for 1 night at Grand Hyatt Jakarta on April 2012. My view was great, overlooking Bundaran HI (roundabout with large fountain). The room is cozy and spacious. The bathroom decor is nice but there were too many large mirrors (the bathtub was surrounded by large mirrors). Breakfast buffet is heavenly, great mix of local and western food. Not to be missed! I also ordered room service. Note the large serving. I ordered kid's porridge and the serving was too big IMHO. The pool and pool area is beautiful. All the staff (front office, bellman, concierge, room service, housekeeping) are all very friendly and professional. You truly get the 5 stars service in this hotel. The hotel is connected to a large mall that has a children playground. Lots of choice of restaurants and eateries and of course shopping. Great experience all around. I just wished that the internet is free.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the fountain have the best view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank esterlove
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Jakarta

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I was surprised to read the previous review on Hyatt which mentioned the plywood wall in the hotel room. I stayed at the Hyatt recently and don't remember any such thing. In fact, I remember being impressed by the spaciousness of the room, the bathroom and the walk-in wardrobe. Very comfortable for a business traveller, with little extras like a (clean!!) ironing board, iron and shoe-horn and polish provided. Excellent view of the famous roundabout junction in Jakarta as well! My colleague commented about the noise from the road, but I didn't hear the traffic and slept very soundly during my stay there (the bed and pillows were very comfortable too).

The only criticism I can make is: I noticed some dirt on my hotel room floor near the entrance when I first checked in, and it was still there throughout my stay. When I pointed it out to the front desk, they very promptly sent the housekeeping manager up, who saw to it personally that the dirt was cleaned up. A card and a box of chocolates were left in my room as an apology for this oversight - nice touch. Also, upon check in, my colleague was offered a choice of complimentary internet or breakfast, whereas I was not offered this. Rather inconsistent service, but when I brought it up, I was offered complimentary internet.

All in all, a very comfortable hotel with an excellent central location, conveniently linked to the neighbouring mall and you can easily cross the roads to get to the other malls too. I would have given it 5 stars if not for the little slips in service mentioned above, but I will definitely be back at the hotel and give it a second chance. Hopefully I won't be disappointed!

1  Thank Tinaluis5
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I'm a frequent traveller to Jakarta and I've tried almost all the leading hotels and I stay at the Mandarin very frequently - so this time I thought I'll try the Hyatt across the street for a change. Not a good idea.

I was given a room on the 7th floor. It looked quite sad - didnt look like a five star at all - more like a three star. Whitewashed walls (slightly stained) with a beige plywood finish! I thought maybe I was given a floor under renovation so I called the front desk and asked if they had a better room. They very kindly sent someone up promptly with the key to a room on the 19th floor.

So I went up and found the new room was identical to the old one! Even the lone print on the wall was the same. Next morning, I could hear the TV playing in the room next door! The wall on one side had a connecting door to the next room that was locked, but clearly not soundproof. The wall was again beige plywood and looked like a contractor had put it up in a hurry with uneven panels etc. This was the same even in my earlier 7th floor room.

I'm surprised people still stay here given the generally high standard of hotels in Jakarta. The hotel really needs to spend some money and do up the rooms a bit. The lobby was however deceptively grand and the service was very good.

1  Thank cyriage
Reviewed 5 April 2012

First up, everyone says hello - everyone. No one averts their eyes to pretend they didn't see you or be so busy not to look up to greet you. Impressive training.

Check in was effortless. My office made a mistake in the reservation but the staff updated the booking with nary a peep and I was in my room in no time at all.

I was booked in on the 17th floor. I'm being so specific because I stayed at the Kempinski in Jakarta last month on the 7th floor and heard very little to no street traffic but at the Hyatt I heard significantly more. It wasn't really distracting but given I was 17 floors up I was surprised to hear as much as I did. Just a heads up - definitely get a higher floor if you are facing the roundabout.

The rooms are large with a desk and power bar that accepts all assortment of plugs (always a bonus). The bed is firm and the pillows are medium to firm. The bed comes with more of a thick blanket than duvet. Thumbs down as I prefer duvets. The room had a small anteroom that had a closet, safe, and area to set up an ironing board and iron (included in room). The bathrooms were a good size with large shower stall with good water pressure and tub.

I didn't order room service so i can't comment.

The gym was well appointed with lots of cardio, ab room, and weights (machine and free). There is a smoothie bar in the gym with a very nice fellow that tried quite hard to make me a smoothie but honestly it was the worst smoothie I ever had; it was warmer than bath water. Yuck.

I had the breakfast buffet everyday and it had a good variety and quality.

The hotel is really well situated within the business district of Jakarta with lots of shops and restaurants all within the hotel or within a very short walk.

One last thing, I checked out earlier in the day and I needed to use the internet to talk to my daughter who was losing her tooth. The lady in the business centre was kind enough to set me up on the computer, give me a webcam and microphone and I got to talk to my daughter. Very kind.

Excellent hotel, but unfortunately it is getting older and the carpets were worn in the room and it was getting dated. However, great location and service.

Safe travels.

Room Tip: Higher room to avoid street noise or grab a room on the pool side.
Reviewed 4 April 2012

great view from top, also have swimming pool, and located near shopping malls, great security and service, located at heart of city.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends