Open today: 7:00 am - 6:00 am

Book in advance
from
$62.83
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Mount Agung
from $62.83
from $9.50
from $9.42
from $48.91
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 August 2013

All along people know there are 2 routes up to Mt Agung. One is start point from south side side at Pasar Agung (1525m high above sea level) and takes about 4 hrs acend and 3 hrs descend, reaching lower peak at 2907m. This offers views around the south end only. Another start point is from south west side at Besakih (1200m high) and takes about 14 hrs up and down. This is a longer route, but offer spectacular 360 degree view at the highest point of Mt Agung (3142m), but not for the faint hearted.

I chose Wayan Guide (wayan.idguides@gmail.com) who offered a hybrid path which they found a few years back. It is more challenging and more fun. Start at Pasar Agung, it follows the normal path until elevation 2300m, where the path diverge to left side of the mountain and cross over to the north higher peak. Takes about 5 hrs to ascend, and you have a choice of which route to descend.

For those who are strong, I'd recommend going up the highest peak for unimpeded view. The lower peak view to the east where Mt Rinjani is is blocked by crater rim.

I would strongly recommend Wayan Guide who has a consortium of mountain guides. My guide was Wayan Wasar, whom I am deepy appreciative for. He got everything prepared -- assortment of breakfast comprising bananas, biscuits, hot coffee/tea, cup noodles, rice cakes etc, camp fire (to fight the cold), and he took great photograph of me at the highest peak!

The lead guide Wayan Widiyasa was kind enough to lend me his triclimate overcoat, which shielded me from the cold wind and breeze at the top. He also lend me the mountain stick was not that useful for me as I am not used to.

The guides are a bunch of people who genuinely take care of you, for the perfect safe climb up and down. Thank you Wayan(s).

7  Thank stituss
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My girlfriend and I hiked the 'easy' option from Pasar Agung Temple to the crater rim at 2900m with Wayan Widiyasa and loved the experience. Setting off at 1.30 am for 4 hours up and 3 down. Having not done much hiking recently even if reasonably fit 30 somethings, I think we would have had difficulty in completing the harder routes from Besakih or option 3 from Pasar Agung crossing round to the south to reach the main peak. My advice would be to make sure you have good footwear, warm clothes and plenty of water. Wayan is a very professional guide who will take good care of you on the trek, even providing BengBeng bars, Pot Noodles and Coffee! It's a tough one physically but well worth the effort when you see the sunrise from the top. Your legs might be sore for a couple of days after but the memories will last much longer!

8  Thank Pascoe G
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Did a walk up Gunung Agung from Besakih Temple with an excellent guide called Wayan. Mentioned in previous reviews with his number. I was lucky with the weather as there was a lot of rain about but seemed to be everwhere but on our sacred mountain. Started at 12 midnight and took a fair old pace up. I've done a lot of walking and mountaineering and clear Wayan knew the route and was very thoughtful to adjust his pace to suit his client. I was happy with a brisk pace and we arrived early just under the sunnit ridge at 4am. Still too early to go onto the summit for sunrise we rested. wayan was all prepared with some hot drinks and pot noodles. He had thought of every eventuality. At 5.30am we headed for the first summit and then straight over to the main summit at 3200m at the end of an excellent ridge. Sunrise was spectacular and the view down to lesser mountains was a sight to be seen. Headed down abd were back at the start at 11am. If you're into hills and mountain fit, this is a must and would have no hesitation recommeding Wayan. His english is also excellent and a real companion on the hill.

Date of experience: July 2013
4  Thank BrianG636
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We arrived at the meeting spot at 1:30 nighttime. We then went to the highest temple in Bali and all the guides did a ceremony for the climb to go well. There was an air of excitement and eeriness among the group. Then we started and we entered the forest part of the mountain. It had rained a little so this made the path VERY slippery, lots of people fell and it taught everybody right away: this was a serious matter and was NOT going to be a walk in the park. Grabbing tree branches and rocks as not to fall we went on, but some people already were very discouraged after the first hour and a half. Not even halfway there, the guide advised them to stop then and there and wait for the sunset to go back down. We took breaks to eat and catch out breath, little did we know this was still the easy part. After about 2 hours you reach the rocky part of the mountain. No tree branches to hold on to, no earth to softly land on when you fall. All there was, was rocks and rocks and more rocks. The trekking turned into serious climbing soon after that and this was REALLY hard and if you are not very fit you will not likely be able to take this. I am a runner but this is way tougher than running 20 kilometres, to give you a basic idea of how tough it is. Some parts are also dangerous, you have to trust your body and your balance because if you fall, you fall long and hard. The guides are amazing, they help you so much and despite looking small they are very tough and able to help bigger people than themselves go up. The last hour is the hardest, the group paused every 15 min otherwise you will cry and get desperate of the pain of climbing. The night sky with stars is amazing. The thing which surprised me was how MENTALLY hard it was. It is dark and you can't see the end, you feel like being in an endless hell. Then suddenly you are there (appr 6:00 morning) and everybody was emotional. The view is like sheer heaven and the sunrise is so beautiful you feel like crying. The guides prepare hot food and take good care of you. It is VERY cold also because of the sweat & the hight of coarse. You best bring multiple layers. I underestimated the cold coming from Holland a cold country for Indonesian standards. For me it was so scary to go down because then it is light and you see the danger and the hight. The first 2 hours going down I wanted to cry, but the monkeys along the way amused me. As far as going to the toilet goes, prepare on having little to no privacy. When I reached the forest part it went quite fast, we were back at the temple from top in 3 hours total. I felt like I had been though utter HELL but also I felt like I had been to HEAVEN on top. Mixed very intense feelings which made this whole experience unforgettable. But think before you try this, it is harder than they say in the tourist books and stuff.

6  Thank Shenniie
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This Hike is amazing and well worth it. My friends and I did it with a group of 16, with the majority of us making it to the summit for sunrise. Our leading guide was Wayan Widiyasa <wayan.idguides@gmail.com> who I could not recommend more highly. He arranged 3 vans to pick us all up from our Legian Hotel at midnight and then met us with 5 other guides at Pasar Agung to begin our hike. All this for a price of $300,00.00 Rp per person. BARGAIN!
If you are contemplating this hike I strongly suggest contacting Wayan by email ahead of time and he can help to provided you with any information you may need.
The hike itself was very intense. Even though this is the easiest route, it is by no means a walk in the park. I consider myself to be a quite fit, 30yo male and this was the hardest physical activity I have ever completed. The Hike is 3.5 hours up, 30-45 mins up the summit to enjoy the views, and then 3.5 hours back down. I strongly suggest taking a lot of care coming down on the steep rocky sections. I found this out the hard way by twisting my ankle only 10 minutes into the descent. Luckily one of the guides helped me get back down only 15 minutes or so behind the rest of my group.
This was such a rewarding experience and one that I will truly treasure for the rest of my life. If you are thinking about it, just do it. You will be glad you did.

Date of experience: July 2013