Open today: 7:00 am - 6:00 am

Book in advance
from
$62.83
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Mount Agung
from $62.83
from $9.50
from $9.42
from $48.91
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My girlfriend and I hiked the 'easy' option from Pasar Agung Temple to the crater rim at 2900m with Wayan Widiyasa and loved the experience. Setting off at 1.30 am for 4 hours up and 3 down. Having not done much hiking recently even if reasonably fit 30 somethings, I think we would have had difficulty in completing the harder routes from Besakih or option 3 from Pasar Agung crossing round to the south to reach the main peak. My advice would be to make sure you have good footwear, warm clothes and plenty of water. Wayan is a very professional guide who will take good care of you on the trek, even providing BengBeng bars, Pot Noodles and Coffee! It's a tough one physically but well worth the effort when you see the sunrise from the top. Your legs might be sore for a couple of days after but the memories will last much longer!

Date of experience: August 2013
8  Thank Pascoe G
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Did a walk up Gunung Agung from Besakih Temple with an excellent guide called Wayan. Mentioned in previous reviews with his number. I was lucky with the weather as there was a lot of rain about but seemed to be everwhere but on our sacred mountain. Started at 12 midnight and took a fair old pace up. I've done a lot of walking and mountaineering and clear Wayan knew the route and was very thoughtful to adjust his pace to suit his client. I was happy with a brisk pace and we arrived early just under the sunnit ridge at 4am. Still too early to go onto the summit for sunrise we rested. wayan was all prepared with some hot drinks and pot noodles. He had thought of every eventuality. At 5.30am we headed for the first summit and then straight over to the main summit at 3200m at the end of an excellent ridge. Sunrise was spectacular and the view down to lesser mountains was a sight to be seen. Headed down abd were back at the start at 11am. If you're into hills and mountain fit, this is a must and would have no hesitation recommeding Wayan. His english is also excellent and a real companion on the hill.

4  Thank BrianG636
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We arrived at the meeting spot at 1:30 nighttime. We then went to the highest temple in Bali and all the guides did a ceremony for the climb to go well. There was an air of excitement and eeriness among the group. Then we started and we entered the forest part of the mountain. It had rained a little so this made the path VERY slippery, lots of people fell and it taught everybody right away: this was a serious matter and was NOT going to be a walk in the park. Grabbing tree branches and rocks as not to fall we went on, but some people already were very discouraged after the first hour and a half. Not even halfway there, the guide advised them to stop then and there and wait for the sunset to go back down. We took breaks to eat and catch out breath, little did we know this was still the easy part. After about 2 hours you reach the rocky part of the mountain. No tree branches to hold on to, no earth to softly land on when you fall. All there was, was rocks and rocks and more rocks. The trekking turned into serious climbing soon after that and this was REALLY hard and if you are not very fit you will not likely be able to take this. I am a runner but this is way tougher than running 20 kilometres, to give you a basic idea of how tough it is. Some parts are also dangerous, you have to trust your body and your balance because if you fall, you fall long and hard. The guides are amazing, they help you so much and despite looking small they are very tough and able to help bigger people than themselves go up. The last hour is the hardest, the group paused every 15 min otherwise you will cry and get desperate of the pain of climbing. The night sky with stars is amazing. The thing which surprised me was how MENTALLY hard it was. It is dark and you can't see the end, you feel like being in an endless hell. Then suddenly you are there (appr 6:00 morning) and everybody was emotional. The view is like sheer heaven and the sunrise is so beautiful you feel like crying. The guides prepare hot food and take good care of you. It is VERY cold also because of the sweat & the hight of coarse. You best bring multiple layers. I underestimated the cold coming from Holland a cold country for Indonesian standards. For me it was so scary to go down because then it is light and you see the danger and the hight. The first 2 hours going down I wanted to cry, but the monkeys along the way amused me. As far as going to the toilet goes, prepare on having little to no privacy. When I reached the forest part it went quite fast, we were back at the temple from top in 3 hours total. I felt like I had been though utter HELL but also I felt like I had been to HEAVEN on top. Mixed very intense feelings which made this whole experience unforgettable. But think before you try this, it is harder than they say in the tourist books and stuff.

Date of experience: August 2013
6  Thank Shenniie
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This Hike is amazing and well worth it. My friends and I did it with a group of 16, with the majority of us making it to the summit for sunrise. Our leading guide was Wayan Widiyasa <wayan.idguides@gmail.com> who I could not recommend more highly. He arranged 3 vans to pick us all up from our Legian Hotel at midnight and then met us with 5 other guides at Pasar Agung to begin our hike. All this for a price of $300,00.00 Rp per person. BARGAIN!
If you are contemplating this hike I strongly suggest contacting Wayan by email ahead of time and he can help to provided you with any information you may need.
The hike itself was very intense. Even though this is the easiest route, it is by no means a walk in the park. I consider myself to be a quite fit, 30yo male and this was the hardest physical activity I have ever completed. The Hike is 3.5 hours up, 30-45 mins up the summit to enjoy the views, and then 3.5 hours back down. I strongly suggest taking a lot of care coming down on the steep rocky sections. I found this out the hard way by twisting my ankle only 10 minutes into the descent. Luckily one of the guides helped me get back down only 15 minutes or so behind the rest of my group.
This was such a rewarding experience and one that I will truly treasure for the rest of my life. If you are thinking about it, just do it. You will be glad you did.

5  Thank stuart6982
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My friends and I did a night climb at Mt Agung on 16 July. We were very lucky that the weather was good that day. As we are amateurs, our guide recommended the easiest route which started from Pasar Agung (1525 m high above sea level).

According to our guide, this is from south east side of the mountain and takes around 4 hours ascend and 3 hours descend and the altitude reached is 2907m high (crater rim only). We paid 700,000 rupiah in total for our group of 4 people. Our guide is Wayan, as recommended by many other trekkers on Tripadvisor.

We began the climb at about 1.45am. The terrain was very steep, inclined at about 45 degrees. When met with areas of muddy soil or lose gravel, having a climbing stick would be very advantageous. We reached the midpoint at about 4.15am and rested for 15mins before continuing. At this point, it is possible to discontinue if you are experiencing difficulties. Members who stopped here waited until sunrise before they descended with a guide.

The next part of the climb was even more challenging, because more rocks and less soil were in the way. The terrain seemed to be steeper and the wind was colder and stronger. At about 75% of the climb onwards, we must climb with our bare hands because the terrain was only rocks. My friends and I felt that the terrain was about 60degrees steep nearing the top. Finally, we reached the top at about 6.05am and waited for the sunrise at 6.24am. The view was magnificent because we were above a sea of clouds with the sunrise in the backdrop. The temperature was about 5 degC at the summit. We had breakfast before descending at about 6.50am.

The descend was extremely dangerous because a careless slip would cost you your life. We had a lot of phobia for the steepness. Hence you need to be calm and have good balance and leg strength. We reached the starting point at about 11.25am.

Conclusion: This is a very risky activity. Both uphill and downhill journeys are highly arduous. Do not carry on if you are not confident because you might lose your life.

Do:
Train well and be fit
Bring warm clothing (5degC at the top)
Wear jeans/trekking pants
Bring gloves (very handy when near the top)
Wear trekking shoes (good grip)
Bring enough water