Open today: 7:00 am - 6:00 am

from $55.15
from $35.83
from $51.77
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My friends and I did a night climb at Mt Agung on 16 July. We were very lucky that the weather was good that day. As we are amateurs, our guide recommended the easiest route which started from Pasar Agung (1525 m high above sea level).

According to our guide, this is from south east side of the mountain and takes around 4 hours ascend and 3 hours descend and the altitude reached is 2907m high (crater rim only). We paid 700,000 rupiah in total for our group of 4 people. Our guide is Wayan, as recommended by many other trekkers on Tripadvisor.

We began the climb at about 1.45am. The terrain was very steep, inclined at about 45 degrees. When met with areas of muddy soil or lose gravel, having a climbing stick would be very advantageous. We reached the midpoint at about 4.15am and rested for 15mins before continuing. At this point, it is possible to discontinue if you are experiencing difficulties. Members who stopped here waited until sunrise before they descended with a guide.

The next part of the climb was even more challenging, because more rocks and less soil were in the way. The terrain seemed to be steeper and the wind was colder and stronger. At about 75% of the climb onwards, we must climb with our bare hands because the terrain was only rocks. My friends and I felt that the terrain was about 60degrees steep nearing the top. Finally, we reached the top at about 6.05am and waited for the sunrise at 6.24am. The view was magnificent because we were above a sea of clouds with the sunrise in the backdrop. The temperature was about 5 degC at the summit. We had breakfast before descending at about 6.50am.

The descend was extremely dangerous because a careless slip would cost you your life. We had a lot of phobia for the steepness. Hence you need to be calm and have good balance and leg strength. We reached the starting point at about 11.25am.

Conclusion: This is a very risky activity. Both uphill and downhill journeys are highly arduous. Do not carry on if you are not confident because you might lose your life.

Do:
Train well and be fit
Bring warm clothing (5degC at the top)
Wear jeans/trekking pants
Bring gloves (very handy when near the top)
Wear trekking shoes (good grip)
Bring enough water
BE MENTALLY PREPARED!

Date of experience: July 2013
12  Thank loozp
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Mount Agung is the highest point of the island of Bali with its 3142 meters. It often rains in the area Cloudy most of the time over Mount Agung.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Everyone's description of logistics is pretty accurate. I'll add that it's very feasible to do this adventure by arranging a guide by yourself (as opposed to a guide service for ~$100/person). It's possible to just show up at Pasar Agung Temple at 1:30 am and negotiate with a guide (expect to pay $40-50 for 2-3 people) to take you up that morning. If you're like me and want to have a little more of a sure bet, contact a guide ahead of time. There is a network of 28 guides who all know each other - 21 men and 7 women. I highly recommend Wayan Widiyasa (wayan.idguides@gmail.com, +6285237250607), who speaks awesome english and can handle slow hikes or even people who want to blitz ascent. Try to catch him a few days ahead because he's popular. If he's booked he can hook you up with a family member - they're all farmers who serve as guides in the dry season. If you want to arrive the day before, ask your guide if they can find you a place to stay. Most of them seem to have an extra room with a mattress on the floor where you can crash for a few hours. And they'll most assuredly want to feed you and serve you tea. Amazing people with awesome hospitality.

My wife and I are in good physical shape and are avid hikers in our late 20s, and this is the most intense hike we've done in terms of steepness and ruggedness of terrain. It didn't help that we did it in Chacos - you'll survive in sub-optimal footwear, but hiking boots and hiking poles would be VERY nice. Believe the reviews that say you're basically rock climbing for the last hour or so. Also, take every bit of warm clothing you have and wear pants on the hike (NOT shorts!). It's near freezing and windy at the top.

And a last piece of advice: tip well. These guys and girls work hard.

Okay, one more piece of advice: DO IT! It's so worth the work and investment. My wife and I are big-time adventurers and this is one of the coolest things we've ever done!

11  Thank ScottyOH
Reviewed 9 May 2013

At 12 PM on 30th April driver pick me up and driving to Pasar Agung Selat around 1.30hours from Ubud
by the time we arrived the Guide Ketut introducing him self with smile and humble,he and his wife was climb Agung Mountain everyday as a Guide.The weather was not so good when we left Ubud,but by the time we arrived at Pasar Agung Temple the weather was perfect,They offering Hot Tea or Coffee before we start.Make sure before you make decision to climb the Mountain better you do exercise,my preparation around 1 month before I climb.Around 2 Am at 1st May 2013 we start Trekking,the step at Pasar Agung Temple is good warm up for your body,and stop around 1 minute we pray at The Temple get blessing for the journey.Is always good you go with Guide,,
The Trekking was good,if you have good physic.cold air and sweating all the body was turn on the adrenalin and spirit to reach the Summit,this quite challenging trekking for me than Batur Mountain,Guide Ketut and Nyoman ( wife ) so patient to guide me going up,every time we take a break they always offering fruits and bread and chocolate to give me some energy.
The torch that we have is helping a lots,our vision just 1 meter from our head to the Rocky road and slippery,make sure you wear your special boot,more save,,
We Reach the Summit at 5.30,,WOW its so COLD ,my preparation wear layer top,Jacket,Hat,hands glove and alots of water,,some nuts and chocolate,
At 6.10 AM the Sunrise coming up,wow all what i done to climb this mountain was worted with the Ambiance on the Top of the Mountain ,its so Beautiful,,Amazing View,,i am so Happy when i arrived,i am taking alots of picture including Rinjani Mountain in Lombok we can see from Agung Mountain,
Hot tea make me feel better and warming my body,,
We just spent maybe around 15 -20 minute and we get ready to going down,quite hard to go down and more slippery,so i decide i am crawling down sometime ,take around 3 hours to going down,,Happy feeling inside make me not so tired to going down,,,
here I would like to Thank You to Ketut and Nyoman you are The Best Guide for my Journey to Agung Mountain.

6  Thank Ani R
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I had 7 customers from Singapore did Agung Trekking Tour on April 11. The trekking started from Pasar Agung temple at 01.30 which takes about 3,5 to 4 hours in normal condition. This customer had different goal that is " reaching the Summit " and they arrived on the summit at 08.00 and 2 of them reached back to Pasar Agung Temple ( finish point ) at 14.30 and the other 5 people were slower reaching back at 17.30. They were first timer doing trekking but they had got their Goal and satisfaction.
Mount Agung has such great track and experience a very nice challenging of trekking.

Date of experience: April 2013