Open today: 7:00 am - 6:00 am

from $55.15
from $35.83
from $50.82
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 February 2013

The hike, begins at 2am (you may need to get picked up earlier from your hotel, my pickup was 12.30 from Candidasa), and there's no guarantee that you'll be able to make it to the top, depending on weather and fitness. When you get back to the bottom will depend on your fitness levels. There are no real set paths, the route follows a rain gully, a solidified lava flow, and then a bunch of grafitti up a huge lava field. The last part is the most dangerous to the inexperienced, as cloud cover can limit visibility and make it difficult to find the route to the top...

I went in the wet season, and its possible to get hit with thunderstorms during the hike, in which case its probably wise to abort for safety. Its not a great place to be caught without shelter...We spent some time about 3/4 of the way up deciding whether we should continue or not, as we got hit by a series of small squalls. In the end we did proceed and were rewarded as the clouds on the peak cleared away, and we got beautiful views of lower cloud formations rolling along the South Bali coast.

On the way down we met a procession from the temple, they were quite a humbling group, headed to the top to pray. Adults, children, grannies, all dressed in the ceremonial finery, wearing flip flops, and some with huge baskets perched atop their heads. Made what seemed like an epic journey feel quite a small feat.

All in all a great day, some drama, tension, physical exertion, and all capped off with being reminded that no matter how proud you feel, there are others that can do it better... Next time I'd like to do it in the dry season... With some friends :)

Be VERY wary of inexperienced guides, it is very possible to get lost and people have died on the volcano.

8  Thank Hsuan L
Reviewed 3 February 2013

It is a very steep to climb but you need to be very fit. You can leave from two places, one from Besakih temple and it takes 6 hours roughly, or from A place called Pasir i think and here it takes roughly 3 hours and you reach the bottom part of the volcanic rim.

4  Thank Garnet9
Reviewed 21 January 2013

It is a must for anyone seeking, adventure and depending on the weather not only adventure will be found but also fear and adrenaline.
If possible dont climb it during the rainy season it is very dangerouse and rather daunghting when hi winds are blowing you around a very wet and steep incline of rocks littered with moss, mud and only your faith in your guid and head lantern to keep you going up.
Don't even consider climbing without a guide on our way down from the peak we encountered a number of small groups of people whom all tried to climb up with out a guide and none of them made it to the top. The thing is some of the more logical paths lead to "dead ends" which the guids are aware of. Wayan was a great guid with allot of experience and good english +6285237250607.

5  Thank Mario D
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Don't go if not sure, choose the easier route (4 hrs up) from Sebudi.
It was far more harder then expected, but the views and experience worths every your step. We had taken a local guide for 600K, Wayan - although he was great I can't understand why it's not possible to go alone.

5  Thank 4y4i
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I have completed a few hikes/treks around the world. From countless hikes in NSW, to the Kokoda Track and Everest/ Kalapathar. This one, certainly was not the toughest, but it was unexpectedly difficult and I was caught off guard. I did little research (my fault) so it was challenging, worst of all I talked my girlfriend into doing it with me. She found it very tough, well she certainly felt the need to remind me over and over again it was her last hike. Never the less we pressed on, with the gentle guiding hand of our guide. We were in an overall team of about 20 people and every pair had a guide, more like a sky hook, at every step up or down there was always an extended hand to help us. The climb up was more daunting, as it was dark, the night made the terrain appear more violent. On the way down the terrain seemed less daunting as you could see where you were stepping.

Arriving at the top, wiped my memory clear of the challenges we faced on the way up, my girlfriend all of a sudden became quiet, and the view nearly knocked us over. We had a relatively clear day, with a view over most islands, the sun rose, and there was this aura of silence, I think it was because there was little words could really do to describe it.

My advice, pack for all types on the way up, you will get hot, but the moment you stop it gets cold, at the top is quite chilly, so have a jacket for between 10 - 15 deg cel. On the way down, be prepared to get dirty in the mud, its hot and if it's clear you will need sun protection. Take atleast 2 L of water per person and try and be well rested the day before. It is challenging, especially if you suffer a fear of heights or vertigo. If you do do it, you would be crazy not to use a guide, and like the rest of the trekkers, we went with Wayan, and like the rest of the trekkers, we highly reccommend him, his english is great, his knowledge of the area is fantastic, as his family has long lived in the area. His family, who join you, are also fantastic. It is a tough job and they do it with much care and effort, very rewarding of a tip, in my opinion.

At the bottom, once you have made it back to the entrance of the temple, do not forget to turn around and take in the view of the temple and the mountain in the brackground. It reminded me of a view from Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones.

Wayans number is +6285237250607, or email wayan.idguides@gmail.com be sure to book in advance, as we nearly missed out due to a festival or something.

FYI when we reached the bottom, my girlfriend commented, "that hike wasn't so bad, well the view made it worth it. "

Date of experience: December 2012