Open today: 7:00 am - 6:00 am

Book in advance
from
$62.83
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Mount Agung
from $62.83
from $9.50
from $9.42
from $49.66
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Don't go if not sure, choose the easier route (4 hrs up) from Sebudi.
It was far more harder then expected, but the views and experience worths every your step. We had taken a local guide for 600K, Wayan - although he was great I can't understand why it's not possible to go alone.

Date of experience: January 2013
5  Thank 4y4i
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I have completed a few hikes/treks around the world. From countless hikes in NSW, to the Kokoda Track and Everest/ Kalapathar. This one, certainly was not the toughest, but it was unexpectedly difficult and I was caught off guard. I did little research (my fault) so it was challenging, worst of all I talked my girlfriend into doing it with me. She found it very tough, well she certainly felt the need to remind me over and over again it was her last hike. Never the less we pressed on, with the gentle guiding hand of our guide. We were in an overall team of about 20 people and every pair had a guide, more like a sky hook, at every step up or down there was always an extended hand to help us. The climb up was more daunting, as it was dark, the night made the terrain appear more violent. On the way down the terrain seemed less daunting as you could see where you were stepping.

Arriving at the top, wiped my memory clear of the challenges we faced on the way up, my girlfriend all of a sudden became quiet, and the view nearly knocked us over. We had a relatively clear day, with a view over most islands, the sun rose, and there was this aura of silence, I think it was because there was little words could really do to describe it.

My advice, pack for all types on the way up, you will get hot, but the moment you stop it gets cold, at the top is quite chilly, so have a jacket for between 10 - 15 deg cel. On the way down, be prepared to get dirty in the mud, its hot and if it's clear you will need sun protection. Take atleast 2 L of water per person and try and be well rested the day before. It is challenging, especially if you suffer a fear of heights or vertigo. If you do do it, you would be crazy not to use a guide, and like the rest of the trekkers, we went with Wayan, and like the rest of the trekkers, we highly reccommend him, his english is great, his knowledge of the area is fantastic, as his family has long lived in the area. His family, who join you, are also fantastic. It is a tough job and they do it with much care and effort, very rewarding of a tip, in my opinion.

At the bottom, once you have made it back to the entrance of the temple, do not forget to turn around and take in the view of the temple and the mountain in the brackground. It reminded me of a view from Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones.

Wayans number is +6285237250607, or email wayan.idguides@gmail.com be sure to book in advance, as we nearly missed out due to a festival or something.

FYI when we reached the bottom, my girlfriend commented, "that hike wasn't so bad, well the view made it worth it. "

Date of experience: December 2012
18  Thank Ashley E
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I would consider myself a pretty fit person however this climb was way more difficult than anticipated. It took 4 strenuous he's yo climb up the mountain and I got to the top as the fog rolled in and couldn't see more than a meter in front of me.

However after a little while the fog cleared and the views are breath taking... best part was my guide he was super positive kept my spirits up and feed me snacks and coffee when ever I wanted to brake:) I love getting to know about the village and its people and about Bali through my Guide well worth this strenous fleet just be prepared.. it is not a hike it is a climb!! Get plenty of rest before and check the weather make sure it is gonna be dry and not foggy!!! And book my guide he was awesome his name is Wayan
0813-3852-5677 !!!:)

3  Thank Tarah D
Reviewed 23 December 2012

This a tough hike but certainly worth the effort. I had a guide which made for a very pleasant time. after waking at mid-night we made our way to the base and started the accent, all planned to arrive at the summit or a spectacular sunrise. Biscuits, fruit and hot tea prepared by my guide made for a perfect journey.

Date of experience: May 2012
2  Thank MikeP873
Reviewed 2 December 2012

The experience and view is truly amazing!

I was lucky to have found Gung as my guide, he is very experienced and before I knew it, I was on top of Mount Agung, just in time for the sunrise.

I was lucky with the weather too, there were a few thunderstorm clouds around but didn't came around or else the trip would have been cancelled.

Before going to the trip, you must prep the below:
A proper hiking boot
Stretchable long pant
A spare set of under layer Tshirt (change when you are on top, as it would sweaty and you would get cold)
A wind proof jacket
Towel
Plenty of Chocolate/ sweets/ water (but Gung would also provide alot of snacks)
Head lights (optional, as Gung would also provide)
Remember to clip toe nails, as on the way down, your toe nails will get alot of "bumps" inside the shoes, might get bruised if toe nails are long.

Expect:
3-4 hours walk/ hike/ climb up
When you are on top, Gung will make hot banana pancakes and hot tea/coffee (got other tour groups jealous)
3-4 hours climb/ hike/ walk down

A good level of fitness would help but not a must.

Date of experience: November 2012