Open today: 7:00 am - 6:00 am

Book in advance
from
$62.83
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Mount Agung
from $62.83
from $9.50
from $9.42
from $48.91
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I would consider myself a pretty fit person however this climb was way more difficult than anticipated. It took 4 strenuous he's yo climb up the mountain and I got to the top as the fog rolled in and couldn't see more than a meter in front of me.

However after a little while the fog cleared and the views are breath taking... best part was my guide he was super positive kept my spirits up and feed me snacks and coffee when ever I wanted to brake:) I love getting to know about the village and its people and about Bali through my Guide well worth this strenous fleet just be prepared.. it is not a hike it is a climb!! Get plenty of rest before and check the weather make sure it is gonna be dry and not foggy!!! And book my guide he was awesome his name is Wayan
0813-3852-5677 !!!:)

3  Thank Tarah D
Reviewed 23 December 2012

This a tough hike but certainly worth the effort. I had a guide which made for a very pleasant time. after waking at mid-night we made our way to the base and started the accent, all planned to arrive at the summit or a spectacular sunrise. Biscuits, fruit and hot tea prepared by my guide made for a perfect journey.

Date of experience: May 2012
2  Thank MikeP873
Reviewed 2 December 2012

The experience and view is truly amazing!

I was lucky to have found Gung as my guide, he is very experienced and before I knew it, I was on top of Mount Agung, just in time for the sunrise.

I was lucky with the weather too, there were a few thunderstorm clouds around but didn't came around or else the trip would have been cancelled.

Before going to the trip, you must prep the below:
A proper hiking boot
Stretchable long pant
A spare set of under layer Tshirt (change when you are on top, as it would sweaty and you would get cold)
A wind proof jacket
Towel
Plenty of Chocolate/ sweets/ water (but Gung would also provide alot of snacks)
Head lights (optional, as Gung would also provide)
Remember to clip toe nails, as on the way down, your toe nails will get alot of "bumps" inside the shoes, might get bruised if toe nails are long.

Expect:
3-4 hours walk/ hike/ climb up
When you are on top, Gung will make hot banana pancakes and hot tea/coffee (got other tour groups jealous)
3-4 hours climb/ hike/ walk down

A good level of fitness would help but not a must.

4  Thank L-YWL
Reviewed 18 November 2012

It was a very tough climb for me. My teammates were walking briskly ahead of me and I am sure they had a good time. I am here to recommend my guide Gung Bawa who is a kind, jovial and extremely patient guide. He encouraged us to be positive, optimistic and 'to enjoy each step' up the holy Mount Agung. The hike turned into a climb towards the summit. I was stuck twice but Gung was there to guide me along the way.

Gung provided snacks and drinks and upbeat stories to entertain us as we walk. He even lend me his windbreaker at the summit. At the crater, he made us pancakes and coffee. His pancakes were delicious. He reminded me of Bear Grylls of Man Vs Wild, climbing mountains and cooking breakfast.

The descent was difficult because my legs lost strength towards the end. The path looked never-ending. The loose gravel were like marble under my weak feet. Gung was there to support me at the weakest points and I also made good use of the walking stick he provided us.

I am not a hiker or a mountain climber. At many points of the climb, I thought I would fall backwards into the clouds and die (haha drama queen). I think Gung helped a lot by giving me psychological support. By making me believe that it is all in me and I can determine my outcome if I put my mind to it. I am thankful for his encouragement.

I vow not to climb another mountain again but I highly recommend Gung's guidance because he is the best.

8  Thank irstilllambc
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Hiking Mount Agung was the best decision that we could have made on our holiday. It totally made the holiday for us. We did run into a bit of strife organising it though, so here are a few tips...

1. Base yourself in Ubud. Tour agencies there will charge you about $60 US (570.000 rupiah) per person and there are heaps of agencies that are willing to book the trek on any day/night you like.

2. Do NOT base yourself at the Tirta Ayu hotel in the Water Palace in Tirta Gangga. They advertise themselves as a place to base yourself from for the trek, but when we arrived they refused to take us up the mountain. In fact, they had many days in each month crossed out and on the days that you can book through them, they charged $175 US per person! Rip off. Ubud is just as convenient to base yourself from and it's cheaper and easier for tour agencies.

3. Wear hiking boots, pack a jumper, wear long loose pants, bring a torch, bring lots of water and bring inspect repellent.

4. Get a guide. This should come with the booking you make at the agency, but bring some extra money with you to tip your guide. They deserve it. It's a tough hike!

5. If you are doing the midnight to sunrise trek have a nap before you go and give yourself a day to sleep and recover afterwards. You will need it!

6. Bring a camera!

We did the 4 hour hike (4 hours up and 4 hours down). That was more than enough. Unless you are incredibly fit and well practised at hiking in tough terrain, I couldn't imagine doing the 7 hour hike.

I hope this helps :-)