“Great views, friendly staff”

Courtyard Hong Kong
Ranked #65 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stayed here on two occasions recently. First room had an interesting view over buildings and a lively street, second room had a harbour view. I didn't close my blinds so I could fall asleep looking at the Kowloon lights and all the boats buzzing up and down the harbour. After the first visit, I left some valuables behind in the room safe but everything was returned to me efficiently and intact on my second visit. Very helpful reception and concierge, good executive lounge with decent breakfast and evening snacks/drinks. Size of room was absolutely fine. Despite what other reviews have said about the 'distance' from Central, I found it not far at all - only about 5 minutes in a taxi - and one day I walked it. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Room: First of all, Hong Kong hotel rooms are small. That being said, it was much more spacious than the last hotel I stayed at in Hong Kong last year. I think the layout helped. Nice full king bed that was soft and wonderful. Clean room, recently either built or renovated. Nice and quiet. We had a partial ocean view too. As others have said, the Courtyard brand isn't the "upper class" in the US, but the overseas Courtyards are quite nice.

Location: Mostly good. Its a bit off the beaten path, but a short (and cheap) tram/bus ride (or cab if you want) to the end of the island line of the MTR from which you can get anywhere you want to go. It did make it harder to jump on and jump off if you wanted to stop back a few times during the day to drop off purchases, take a nap during the hottest parts of the day, etc but if you just adjust your plans or expect the extra time its fine. You can take the tram all the way to/from Causeway Bay or maybe even further, which on a nice night is a nice relaxing way to see the city lights.

Service/staff: helpful, courteous. They also spoke several languages, which would have helped me a ton if I wasn't traveling with a native of HK. They even lent us an umbrella at the front desk for the day. There is a shuttle that takes you to a number of places at the hotel if you wanted, and I think they drop off in central and the HK MTR station at a minimum. Didn't try it out, but would next time.

Value: Good.

Restaurant: It has one, but with so much good food in the city, never even thought about it.

I'd come again, and would stay here again. In 30+ years, I've now spent more time in HK in 2 years (not work related) than I think any other city that I haven't lived in with maybe 2 exceptions. I'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RottenKimchi
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Let's begin with the bad - location is off, not close to MTR station and getting a cab in the mornings during rush hour is a pain.

Now the good - service is great, concierge is knowledgeable and helpful. Rooms are clean and relatively new. Room size is decent, not huge, it's Hong Kong after all. I did not bother with in-room dining, walk out 5 minutes out and there is plenty of food establishments serving local cuisine.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2012

They ought to change the name to "Marriott Boutique" -- the label 'Courtyard' has somewhat dowdy connotations to Americans -- but make no mistake, this is a sleek boutique hotel.

The staff are truly helpful, from check-in, to dining, to the shuttle bus. They paid attention to our 3 yr old son, and made us all feel welcome.

Although there is no MTR station nearby, there are heaps of buses and trams just outside. The shuttle bus leaves hourly, punctually, to/from various points in Central, and one day they even went slightly out of the way for us when we were the only ones onboard.

We had splendid views from a corner room: city view in one direction, and harbour in the other. The rooms are small but extremely clean, modern, with a trendy bathroom. There's a large TV and automatic blinds. They replace the toiletries and bottled water daily.

The gym is decent, they even provide headphones (and replacement foam covers!). No pool.

The breakfast buffet at MoMo Cafe is unbelievable, worth paying for, and a joy every morning. Rivals any buffet I've enjoyed at 5-star hotels around the world. They serve a great Chinese lunch too and it's inexpensive.

If you have access to the Executive Floor, you'll get hot snacks in the early evening that could serve as a light dinner, tea and coffee all day, and even beer & wine for a couple hours each evening.

The WiFi was fast and reliable throughout the hotel.

I cannot come up with a single complaint about Marriott Courtyard. We really enjoyed our four days in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water from a high floor, for at least a partial harbour view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I consider this hotel great value, just a short distance from central which makes for a pleasent escape from the frantic pace of SoHo and LKF, however the multiple shuttle bus and cheap taxi rates make getting around quite easily. The tram stop is just across the road and whilst its a slow trip its the cheapest means of travel on the island. I found the rooms a little small but clean and comfortable. The gym is well equiped and I never found it crowded.
I stayed here in late March and have just booked agin for July.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo