All reviews boutique hotel extra large room small hotel exhibition centre wan chai mtr hennessy road great boutique breakfast room central location bathroom amenities minutes walk away causeway bay room rate subway station mini bar lobby ferry
Reviewed 2 September 2018

The Fleming hotel is a great boutique hotel 5 minutes walk from Wan Chai MTR station. The hotels facilities are not those of a 5 star hotel eg. there is no pool, but it more than makes up for that in its style and excellent customer service. The Italian seafood restaurant on the ground floor serves the best swordfish I've had and is decorated, like the rest of the hotel, in a sort of 1920's style that is very distinctive.

Room Tip: There are only two power sockets at the desk and bot are used so remember to ask for a multi socket extension lead when you check in.
Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
thefleming, Guest Relations Manager at The Fleming, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Dear Andy W,

We are thrilled that you’ve enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for mentioning our restaurant, which has a fantastic atmosphere and good service. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Great hotel that makes up for the lack of view with impeccable staff who actually want to be helpful! Having been to Hong Kong for business several times, I knew Wan Chai was the area for me. The Fleming is ideally located to access on foot the Star Ferry (Wan Chai terminal) Peak Tram, Hong Kong Park, great restaurants, Bars and Central, whilst still feeling like you’re experiencing the “ real” HK. Rooms are smallish (normal in HK) but well laid out with full large size toiletries and quality linens. The breakfast in the restaurant downstairs was a la carte, simple, fresh, surprisingly good food and not too expensive. I’ve stayed in a few of the big name hotels and as far as attentiveness and helpfulness of staff goes The Fleming were outstanding. You’re not just a number here but a valued guest. If you’re looking for a hip and groovy (but not overly so) hotel experience, with fantastic staff The Fleming will more than satisfy.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear bondilocal,

On behalf of The Fleming, we're delighted to read your wonderful comments about your recent stay with us.
Thank you very much for mentioning our staff's good performance. We believe that it's this sort of personal touch that creates magical and lasting memories.
We look forward to your next visit to Hong Kong.

Reviewed 14 August 2018

I booked into The Fleming last minute over my usual choice when I came upon an article about how the hotel has been redesigned/renovated by "Work of Substance". The firm does mostly restaurants/retail stores so I was excited to stay at place they designed.

Hotel Service - Excellent!
The person who checked me in showed me to my room with a quick tour. I've only experience personal escort to my room at big resorts where you're room is miles away. Even then I've never been shown to my room by the same person who checked me in. This was a nice personal touch.

I was originally shown to a room on the 5th floor. Although it was nice, I prefer rooms on a higher floor so I asked if they had a room available on a higher floor. 10 minutes later, I was shown into my new room on the 14th floor.

There were specific items my family asked me to purchase. I didn't know how to find them and the concierge Coey and Elly offered to help me track them down while I went and grabbed brunch. They texted me through WhatsApp with the address and the products in Chinese in case I had trouble asking for them at the store.

Apple TV: Finally!!!! I signed into my room's Apple TV and logged into my Netflix account. Can't tell you how I hate watching Netflix on my iPad when there is a huge flat screen tv in my room that I can't connect to. This alone gets a star. Other hotels need to catch up!

Location - Homey and Local
Wan Chai feels like a local neighborhood to me. Its away from the more touristy side of HK but ideally located btw Central and Causeway. There REALLY isn't much to do in this neighborhood but it offers a good amount of brunch and restaurants spots within a 5-10 min walk. Its getting a little gentrified so you'll find restaurant establishments that are a bit more westernized. I personally liked that I wasn't right in a touristy area. Causeway bay, a shopping mecca, is 1 stop away on the MTR. Central where there is a good mix of boutique shops, great restaurants, the PMQ, and the famous Man Mo temple is 2 stops on away on the MTR. If you want to be in the heart of action then Wan Chai is not for you.

Wan Chai restaurants I went to: La Garcon Saigon (twice!), Elephant Grounds, Supabowl, Cheung Hing Lee, Cheung Kee Congee. there are more I'd like to explore but I was limited on time.

Cleanliness and Comfort
The rooms was clean and smelled fresh. I've stayed in lots of hotels and sometimes find the air smells stale when you can't open a window. You can't open the windows in this hotel but the air smells fresh. The bed was really comfortable and I ended up taking a nap on the day I arrived when I didn't mean too. the AC was great too. Sometime AC is not strong enough by US standards but it felt good.

Size of Room - a bit tight but then its HK
I stayed in a medium size room and it felt just right. Not sure how I'd feel in a small room. If I compare this room to the 6 other HK hotels I've stayed at, I'd say it felt tight. Instead of going for the open room concept as most HK hotels do to give you a bigger sense of space, my room was divided by a wall into 2 sections: sleeping and grooming. The wall separated the closet, toilet/shower room and bar from the bedroom/office to provide a stronger sense of privacy. see pictures. in open concept rooms bathroom privacy is sometimes compromised for more floor space. I usually travel alone so open concept rooms work for me. however I can see the appeal for a greater sense of privacy. I also really liked that they separated the toilet and the shower into separate rooms. If you are traveling with a companion this is very convenient.

Design of the Hotel
Loved it! You can see that the design firm worked not only on the interiors but the hotel's brand identity as well because the design concept was seamless down to the last details. One example of this attention to detail is that the tv channel listings was printed on a customized card stock craft paper. These are the small details I love because most hotels don't make this extra effort as it tends to be costly and they assume we don't notice if it was printed on regular paper. I DID! You're welcome! Please continue. see custom stationary pic

The rooms has lots of extra little details that make it special like flat brass studs on the green wainscoting. Every aspect, light fixtures, cable cords, glass and tableware was also chosen to fit with the overall design. there are 2 design elements among the many I want to call attention to. see my pictures

#1: the headboard/wall
a custom headboard/wall that extends the whole wall made up base of my headboard. it acted as shelf for my glasses, beverage and had built in charging stations so I could plug my phone in and have it close by. the light switches were also located on this ledge. It felt very clutter free and clean.

#2: nautical details -
I know that maritime was theme behind the design concept. However, I still want to call out these details. the floor where you check in is beautiful. there is a couch where you can flip the direction you want face like seats on the star ferry only its comfier and more stylish. All the doors in hotel rooms are rounded like what you might expect on a luxury boat. The toilet room even had a pocket door. My favorite is a huge nautical dial on the door in your room for you to spin between "clean my room" and "do not disturb".

My only complaint:
the journey to check in is WEIRD. When you enter the hotel you have to walk up a dark ramped corridor to the dark foyer. Yes, foyer not check in desk because the check in desk is 1 floor up. I understand this is because there is restaurant on the first floor so there is not enough room for a proper check in counter with the space left. The elevators are also very tiny and tight. If you were traveling as a family you'd have to be separated. All of this added together makes for a very confusing experience upon arrival. There is a concierge in the foyer to directly you but it doesn't take it away from a momentary confusion. I am not detracting a star for this because I couldn't really think of a solution unless you got rid of the restaurant on the first floor. However, maybe consider adding a bit more lighting in the corridor and foyer so it doesn't feel like you are walking into the unknown? Is am writing this only because this is your guest first impression of the hotel and it is the opposite of everything else I've experienced. My room had a lot of light and the everywhere else in the hotel was brightly lit. For future guest, please note that once you get to the 1st floor where the check in is located there is plenty of light and friendly staff to make you feel welcome. Please don't let my 1 complaint turn you away as I had a lovely experience.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank wongipedia
thefleming, Guest Relations Manager at The Fleming, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear jeanine W,

Thank you very much for your kind review about your recent stay at The Fleming. We're really thankful that you took the time to let other guests know about all our areas and services, and specially mentioning our staff's good performance that enhanced your experience.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Stayed for 4 nights and was always greeted and received assistance when needed. All the staff are very friendly. Room is renovated in classy green and brass colours. Good location just 5 minutes walk to Wan Chai MTR ( nearest exit 1A) and airport express free shuttle at Novotel hotel just a stroll away.
The wonderful service received at this hotel made up for the small room size (with not much walking space around the bed), tiny but fast lifts that can accommodate 2 persons with 2 luggage , lack of a large lobby befitting it’s 4 star classification and zero view with blinds drawn all the time as it faces an old residential apartment block. Having said these, we simply loved the comfort of the bed, thick luxurious towels and enjoyment of a huge well fitted bathroom ( although the auto closing bathroom door was heavy and cumbersome to manage) . If we do come back again, it will have to be in a larger room. Was told small hotel rooms are very typical in Hong Kong.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
thefleming, Guest Relations Manager at The Fleming, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Dear sk248,

It's great that you've mentioned how you enjoyed our hospitality services and the staff's warm attitude. We really appreciate that you took the time to go online to share your opinions about your recent stay with us.
Regarding our rooms, we do have a very honest approach as we name them Small (21sqm) reaching to Extra Large (36sqm), but all of which have the same standards of comfort and design that you can only find at The Fleming.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 August 2018

This is a small, boutique hotel in great condition from a recent refurbishment with a unique decor, which on its own would rate a recommendation but that's not all. The staff are really friendly and helpful, the food is of the highest quality and to top it off it has great coffee. All in all it made for a very comfortable and enjoyable experience.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
thefleming, Guest Relations Manager at The Fleming, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Dear jjggdd,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comment regarding your recent stay at The Fleming hotel. We're very pleased that you've enjoyed your accommodation and our staff's good performance.
We look forward to your next visit and making it a glamorous experience once again.