“"Dirty Room, Very Noisy Room, Late Check-in, Bad Service, Not Worth The Price"”

The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #4 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I paid $600 and something Canadian dollars for the room and I thought that the room was not worth the price. The room had like dust everywhere, corners of windows, ect (I posted a photo. The picture was not the only one I took.). The service was bad, check in time was at like 2 pm (too late). We told the front office manager that we weren't able to sleep because of the noise of the room and he didn't admit that it was the hotel's fault. When we checked out, we said "hi" to the front desk person and she didn't even reply to us and she only checked out for us.

(I didn't go to the resturant or the spa so I couldn't rate them)

Before I checked in to the room for 3 nights, I booked a room at Shangri-La for 4 nights. (Shangri-La is cheaper, almost half the price of this hotel. $400 something Canadian dollars.) And I realized that the room at Shangri-La is actually cleaner, had less noise, had better front desk (was nicer), earlier check-in, and obviously charged us less for the room.

Room Tip: don't choose rooms that face the roads outside - very noisy at night
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Gabriel W
LamdmarkMandarin, Director of Communications at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience. We appreciate your comments and understand that the matter had been addressed by us. Please accept our sincere apologies and thank you again for your constructive comments.

Kind regards,

Vivian Li

Director of Communications

vli@mohg.com

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I booked the room for my mother, who came to HK to visit. When I did the on-line booking, from the reservation system I could choose some preferences provided by the system, one of which was late check-out. Since my mother came to HK for business, I chose this option. When we checked in, the front staff, who was polite and friendly, gave us a room which was not the higher floor I indicated when I was making the reservation because the higher floor was not ready yet. Fine. We entered the room and everything was like what the photos show from other reviewers. Since my mother had a business dinner, we asked the concierge desk to recommend a quiet restaurant that we could discuss business. We loved the restaurant very much, even my mother's guest, who is a Hong Kong local, praised highly of this restaurant.
The problem came the next morning, when I called to ask for the late check out. Whoever the lady was answering the phone was firm not offering the late check out. I mentioned that I already indicated this option when I made the reservation and the front desk staff said nothing at all when we were checking in. Still, the staff only allowed us to stay until 1 pm. Considering my mother's meetings till late afternoon, I continued asking for more time and told them I was not happy that the message was not properly conveyed at checking in. The staff insisted that the room was already assigned to the next guest and we could not have late check out. I really got upset because of the hotel staff's careless conduct that hotel guests had to bear the consequences. Finally, the staff mentioned if I made the booking via American Express, I could enjoy late check out. Yes, I do have the American Express platinum card, but I was not informed this benefit by the hotel earlier. So, yes, no late check out. After several back and forth complaining and discussions, the staff "graciously" extended another 30 minutes of the stay. My poor mother already had enough listening to the discussion between the hotel staff and me. She decided to just check out at 1:30 pm and found elsewhere for her luggage -- not even bother to store her luggage in the hotel.
If you ask me whether it is worth is to spend more than HK$4000 for one night in this hotel? Certainly NOT. Location is good but all you can see from the windows are only buildings around the hotel. Room is comfortable but I won't say it is spacious. I have stayed in other hotels in HK. Upper House certainly is much better than this one, considering the money, the space, and, most of all, the service from the staff!! The breakfast buffet was just ok, not so many varieties but there were Western and Chinese foods at the buffet.

Room Tip: Make sure you get all the clear information for your requests at the front desk. If possible, choose...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank margarita_red2006
LamdmarkMandarin, Director of Communications at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your mother's recent visit. It is with regret to learn about your disappointment, please accept our sincere apologies. Your valuable feedback has been brought to our attention and please rest assured that we will take every necessary step to address these important issues. We would be grateful to contact you personally to discuss this matter further.

Kind regards,
Vivian Li
Director of Communications

vli@mohg.com

Reviewed 28 July 2012

I've L600 Premier room in late May.
The hotel's location is in the epicenter of HK's major business district.
Nice & modern design room, but in HK's typical style and size.
The spa is good. Therapist is REMARKABLE (Nicole).
Breakfast at Amber is one of a kind if you're come to HK for business.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Even in the face of a tsunami, MO comes up shining. I spent 10 days at the Landmark MO in Hong Kong. The rooms are tops and service worth of the rating.The hotel is convienently located in Landmark which connects to all of Central.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I love to stay in Landmark when I visit HongKong. They have large hotel rooms, offering luxury accommodations and the hotel sits on a great location for shopping. They also have wonderful dining, Amber on the World's 50 best restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family