“Wonderful hotel, top notch service, in the heart of Central, Hong Kong” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong

The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #2 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“Wonderful hotel, top notch service, in the heart of Central, Hong Kong”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

As one would expect, the Mandarin's legendary service was on full display. A request for early check in was met with a smile and a yes, the room service was prompt and courteous, the food simply excellent. The bathroom with its large bath and two sinks plus lovely amenities was a place in which to spend hours. I loved the walk-in closet and the little touches - the complimentary chocolate ganache cake, bucket of ice already in situ. A minor gripe as noted in other reviews was the additional cost of internet access. We didn't bother and how nice it was to be disconnected. But come on Mandarin, HK$30 an hour for wifi when the room charge is US$600 a night? It's a bit much. That niggle aside, I cannot fault the hotel. It was comfortable in that wonderful luxurious Mandarin style. A stay there is a real treat and definitely to be repeated.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kren2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Had a wonderful stay at this hotel - went the whole hog and stayed in one of the suites. The service was top-notch and truly personalised. We decided on room service for dinner and the food was excellent. The layout of the rooms were lovely - a great use of space, a huge king-sized bed, an equally huge circular bathtub with separate shower. The living room was large and comfortable. Three televisions and a sound/entertainment system.

The rates are undoubtedly on the very high end but if you can afford it, this is a great hotel in a great, central location. Very hard to beat.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Outstanding. I think this is better than the MO (or the old hotel as our local friend living in midlevel’s refers to the regular MO versus this hotel as the new one). The rooms and pool are great and so is the service. We were given a room very early for check in which is very nice.

My only criticism (it’s up to you as to whether this is minor or major) and actually almost prevented me from giving it top marks is the hotel appears to have a policy that the L450 rooms can accommodate maximum two guests (including adults and child) only regardless of whether the child shares the bedding with the parents - not sure where I can find this on the website, however (I looked but PM me if you can find it and I can read). We were with a 5 year old who is tiny. Now the king bed in the L450 is bigger IMO than a normal king bed…wider but not longer. The room is huge and is bigger than most hotel rooms in Hong Kong and probably as large as any hotel I have stayed in around the world as far as a standard king size bedded room goes.

I was rather annoyed when I was advised of this policy and accepted the fact that if they needed to push us up to a L600, I would accept that. In fact, told them as such by stating “If, however, as you note below, this is not possible per your hotel “rules”, then by all means, modify the reservation to the room type noted below [The L600].” Personally, it really did not make a huge difference to me in terms of cost to the room. I had a decent corporate rate with them, enjoyed the MO and decided to try out the LMO versus staying at the Four Seasons - this was my wife's choice and neither of us cared about cost.

They then they OK’d the L450 for us after I noted my surprise. That said, on arrival I was given the same run around. Thankfully, had a print out saying the L450 was fine. I should note that this type of policy is not the same at the Four Seasons or the Upper House. Both allow two adults and a child sharing the same bedding. Also, to have to give them evidence it was OK’d on arrival was certainly not something I expected of a 5* hotel and certainly merits a comment about the same here. They even made a photo copy of an email they should have had...in fact, as I recall, they had some emails that I had sent to them. Just not the one saying the L450 is fine...again, I was OK with the L600 but merely noted that to my knowledge, I was not aware of any other hotel where this was an issue with a child the age of ours sharing the same bedding. It should be noted, they said no more than 3. Not, 2 is OK but a 3rd is extra. No third.

Nevertheless, the hotel is a remarkable property. Being provided access to the spa for a shower prior to a room was outstanding. The bar was very nice as was the food in the restaurant. All in all, perhaps the best hotel and services I have stayed in other than the one comment above, which I comment about for others who might be in my situation.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank K J
LamdmarkMandarin, Director of Communications at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. It is with regret to learn about your disappointment and the inconveniences caused to you on this occasion, please accept our sincere apologies. Your valuable feedback has been brought to our attention and please rest assured that we will take every necessary step to address these important issues. We would be grateful to contact you personally to discuss this matter further.

Kind regards,

Vivian Li
Director of Communication
vli@mohg.com
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I had booked the Meet & Greet service with car transfer to the hotel, and what a delight this was. From the moment I stepped off the plane I was treated like royalty, escorted through immigration and customs, to the waiting Mercedes with water, towels and candy available. On arrival at the hotel, I was greeted and immediately escorted up to my room where the check in was done -- no stop at reception! The luggage arrived instantaneously and I was soon settled in my luxurious accommodation. I had booked the smallest room, L450, but it was more than adequate for my needs -- spacious and comfortable. I had requested a high floor, away from the elevator, and I got exactly that. There was a plate of snacks to welcome me.

Once unpacked, I went down to the concierge who could not have been more helpful in giving me advice and directions, and making bookings for me. The bed was beautifully comfortable and after the long flight from Chicago, I slept like a baby.

Breakfast was included in my rate, and the staff at Amber were wonderful; food excellent. I made use of the spa on my last morning for a pedicure -- without a doubt the best pedi I have ever had in my entire life. They use the Bastien Gonzalez technique and although this was advertised as lasting 60 minutes, it was a full 90 minutes of sheer bliss. I would almost think of flying back to Hong Kong just for a repeat!

My only quibbles: Charging extra for internet seems a bit unnecessary when one is paying the already steep rates that the LMO charges. Also, since my pedi lasted 30 minutes longer that I had anticipated, I asked if I could check out 15 minutes later than 12 noon, and instead of being gracious about this, I had a call from the front desk asking me to hurry as they were fully booked and needed to service the room. Fifteen minutes was all I had asked! That left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth after an otherwise flawless stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Chickering6371
Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay, and that Amber and our spa are to your liking. I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback on a few aspects of your stay and would be grateful if we could personally discuss with you on how we could improve in the future.

Kind regards,

Vivian Li
Director of Communication
vli@mohg.com
Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Flawless service, exceptional location and really stunning rooms. Inside the Landmark Mall and same building as the Central MTR so super convenient.

• Stayed February 2012